• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cory Maye gets new trial

gnomon

Mississippi Supreme Court Grants Cory Maye a New Trial - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

The Mississippi Supreme Court has overturned an appellate court decision and granted Cory Maye a new trial. They determined that Maye was denied his rights by failure of the judge in the original trial to allow the defense to offer up a proper "defense of others" claim as well as supporting a lower courts assertion that Maye's rights were ignored by the judge in being denied a change of venue. More specifically, a waiver to remove a prior change of venue so that Maye could be tried in the town in which the shooting occurred.

Speaking of the drug war this is an interesting case. A man with no prior convictions nor named under suspicion shoots a police officer during a drug raid. Only a small amount of marijuana is found, not enough to indicate any activity in an illicit business, but a police officer winds up killed and a man with no prior convictions is sitting on death row for capital murder.

It will be an interesting new trial. Whether or not anyone will pay attention is another thing. The case has barely had any major media attention. You won't find the Fox bimbos discussing this, the MSNBC wannabe FOX bimbos parroting them or even the left wing Democracy Now talking about it. It's not like the issue of feeling safe in one's own home and the tactics used by police officers in barging into people's homes over the silliest reasons should be important or anything.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We should note that Reason is a libertarian magazine, which is why you find both liberals & conservatives on Maye's side.
Too many cops don't believe in self defense....it makes it harder for cops to break the law & abuse civil liberties.
After reading about the case, I think Maye was clearly railroaded.
The Case of Cory Maye - Reason Magazine

Last edited:

gnomon

A small point about this case that always gets me is that the party in the other duplex, who were named on the search warrant, were basically able to get away and no one has heard of them, from them or about them since. In other words, the target of the raid basically got away and Cory Maye was put in this nightmare.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A small point about this case that always gets me is that the party in the other duplex, who were named on the search warrant, were basically able to get away and no one has heard of them, from them or about them since. In other words, the target of the raid basically got away and Cory Maye was put in this nightmare.
Law enforcement is often about convicting someone....anyone. So there is a natural temptation to pick the low hanging fruit,
ie, go after the guy in custody instead of the one you can't easily find. There's a joke among my business associates....if you
commit a crime, just don't answer your phone, because that will end the investigation.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What I find interesting about it is the power of social networking on Internet. No one would ever know or care about Maye if Balko hadn't blogged about it.

Edit: Well, maybe not no one.

Last edited:

gnomon

Cory Maye will be released.

Cory Maye To Be Released From Prison

After 10 years of incarceration, and seven years after a jury sentenced him to die, 30-year-old Cory Maye will soon be going home. Mississippi Circuit Court Judge Prentiss Harrell signed a plea agreement Friday morning in which Maye pled guilty to manslaughter for the 2001 death of Prentiss, Mississippi, police officer Ron Jones, Jr.

Per the agreement, Harrell then sentenced Maye to 10 years in prison, time he has now already served. Maye will be taken to Rankin County, Mississippi, for processing and some procedural work. He is expected to be released within days.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's interesting that Maye was legitimately defending himself against armed home invaders, & was sentenced to death for it....later reduced to 10 years...
....all because the bad guys turned out to be cops. Cops don't go to jail for their mistakes...they punish the victims. It's a travesty that he's still convicted
of a lesser crime, but at least he'll be out.