• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corrupt police

Ori

Angel slayer
Should the law be harsher on those who are supposed to uphold the law, but instead work both sides of the fence for their own personnal gain?

mr.guy

crapsack
Orichalcum said:
Should the law be harsher on those who are supposed to uphold the law, but instead work both sides of the fence for their own personnal gain?
I don't think one should isolate the police in this; i would tend to think all public servants should warrant as much scrutiny.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
mr.guy said:
I don't think one should isolate the police in this; i would tend to think all public servants should warrant as much scrutiny.

I agree; just look at the latest fiasco with politicians accepting loans in return for titles, nighthoods and perrages.

There are corrupt people in every facet of society, just as there are honest and decent ones.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Orichalcum said:

No the laws should not be more harsh for policemen or other public servants.

But their trials should attract plenty of media coverage to show justice in action and to show Americans the legal system works.

mr.guy

crapsack
michel said:
I agree; just look at the latest fiasco with politicians accepting loans in return for titles, nighthoods and perrages.
Well, elected officials seems like another whole kettle of fish...hadn't thought of that.

robtex

Veteran Member
Buttercup said:
No the laws should not be more harsh for policemen or other public servants.

The thing to consider, and it depends on the crime, is the reality that many if not most times the ease in which the facilitated the crime was largly do to their profession (aka accesss uniform badge) or training that they got. For instance evasive driving is a skill they learn as an officer. Somehow, if they use their badge, gun, NCC or anything else for crimminal activity it seems reasonable that that should be a subsidary crime they are charged with.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
robtex said:
The thing to consider, and it depends on the crime, is the reality that many if not most times the ease in which the facilitated the crime was largly do to their profession (aka accesss uniform badge) or training that they got. For instance evasive driving is a skill they learn as an officer. Somehow, if they use their badge, gun, NCC or anything else for crimminal activity it seems reasonable that that should be a subsidary crime they are charged with.
I am assuming the OP is about corrupt policemen or other officials.

Obviously if a policeman has to use evasive or skilled driving tactics to chase down a criminal...he should not be charged with reckless driving. It's part of his job. ;)

robtex

Veteran Member
Buttercup said:
Obviously if a policeman has to use evasive or skilled driving tactics to chase down a criminal...he should not be charged with reckless driving. It's part of his job. ;)

Actually that wasn't what I meant by evasive driving. A few years back an officer robbed a bank. (no i am not making this up). I foget what state it was but he walked in used his service revolver to get the money jumped in his car and got in a high speed chase with local deputies. Deputies, unaware of who it was, were astounded because his driving skills rivaled their own and they couldn't catch him. Eventually they got him, I think at a later time. In my mind cause he used his service revolver and tatical driving skills those should carry additional penalties for being used.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
robtex said:
In my mind cause he used his service revolver and tatical driving skills those should carry additional penalties for being used.

Are the laws stiffer for policemen in your state if they use their own gun to commit crimes?

mr.guy

crapsack
In my mind cause he used his service revolver and tatical driving skills those should carry additional penalties for being used.
I agree. I think the question revolves around abuse of public trust/office; thusly i mentioned public servants at large. Is bureacratic abuse a worse offense (to the public at large) in government than in private/corporate circles?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
mr.guy said:

A postal worker is a public servant. Should they receive harsher penalites when they commit murders? How about a doctor?

c0da

Im with Buttercup on this 'un. I don't know how it is in the US, but in Britain the police have enough red tape and paper work getting in the way of them catching criminals without more crap on their plate.

mr.guy

crapsack
Buttercup said:
A postal worker is a public servant. Should they receive harsher penalites when they commit murders? How about a doctor?
Well, the angle i'm coming from would be to punish abuse of their position; taking advantage of the public with tools/privileges granted to them by the public. Under such a rule, post office employees would be more severly punished for mail theft.

Note: i agreed a bit too hastily with robtex; i find it hard to punish police officers for their training (it's not like they can leave it on the nightstand before they nip off to commit misdeeds). Abuse of their authority in general seems the real meat, to me.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
mr.guy said:
Well, the angle i'm coming from would be to punish abuse of their position; taking advantage of the public with tools/privileges granted to them by the public. Under such a rule, post office employees would be more severly punished for mail theft.

Note: i agreed a bit too hastily with robtex; i find it hard to punish police officers for their training (it's not like they can leave it on the nightstand before they nip off to commit misdeeds). Abuse of their authority in general seems the real meat, to me.

And I'm not necessarily disagreeing with the service revolver bit. :) I do think that has some merit and may very well be law in some states. I don't know.

I was looking for argument to sway my views that some charges for public servants should be stiffer. I think in the case of a cop who is supposed to "serve and protect", using deadly force with his service revolver is a real bad thing. Obvioulsly Postal Workers cannot kill anyone with mail.

Flappycat

c0da2006 said:
Im with Buttercup on this 'un. I don't know how it is in the US, but in Britain the police have enough red tape and paper work getting in the way of them catching criminals without more crap on their plate.
I think it depends upon where you go.

Impersonating a police officer is already a crime, and it can and probably has been argued in court that an officer could be held guilty of this if he's
charged with certain crimes. I think that's enough.

mr.guy

crapsack
Buttercup said:
I was looking for argument to sway my views that some charges for public servants should be stiffer.
Don't look at me! I'm not actually sure as to how wise it would be either; it does strike simply to include all public servants as the abuse is simillar in nature. However, a police officers' access and authority could possibly give them more opportunity and means to misstep their ordination.

Obvioulsly Postal Workers cannot kill anyone with mail.
Baby, i've seen some paper cuts you wouldn't believe...but they want you to think that paper's harmless.