• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corrupt Border Control

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Not only did they obviously plan the crossing where they did, notice the immediate crossing when they got on the road, and the animal far to far away to be a concern unless they had been going over 100 mph, but when arrested they had $16,000 dollars Canadian on them in cash.
... therefore?

Another source said a few grams of cannabis, but since that is legal in both Washington State and Canada that is not a big concern.
It's a big concern in both countries, actually.

Marijuana is illegal federally in the US. Importing it into the US, even into a state where it's legal, is a federal crime.

And while marijuana bought legally in Canada isn't an issue in Canada, importing or exporting marijuana is a crime here.

But an amount of cash that would get the attention of any legal crossing is a cause for concern:

British family's illegal border crossing into Washington state no accident, feds say
It wouldn't be the first time that someone accidentally crossed the border with evidence of a crime.

It seems like a few times a year there's a story at the Ambassador Bridge of someone who took the wrong exit off the interstate, got stuck on the bridge, and tried to turn around at Canadian customs but they noticed evidence of some crime and arrested the person.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
... therefore?

It's a big concern in both countries, actually.

Marijuana is illegal federally in the US. Importing it into the US, even into a state where it's legal, is a federal crime.

And while marijuana bought legally in Canada isn't an issue in Canada, importing or exporting marijuana is a crime here.

It wouldn't be the first time that someone accidentally crossed the border with evidence of a crime.

It seems like a few times a year there's a story at the Ambassador Bridge of someone who took the wrong exit off the interstate, got stuck on the bridge, and tried to turn around at Canadian customs but they noticed evidence of some crime and arrested the person.
Oh my GAWD!

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
And from my last link, a bit of information that should have been added since it answered the question of when and why two people were previously denied entry:

"This is not the first trouble the family has had with Customs and Border Patrol: the border patrol spokesperson said two members of the family were denied entry into the U.S. last year, and deemed "inadmissable," due to possible ties to criminal activity."

Please note that entry into the U.S. is not a right. It is a privilege that can be denied for many reasons. A full trial is not needed to have someone appear to be guilty enough to keep them out.

So let's review the story of our recent guests. From the article linked by the OP:

"In her statement, Connors said that on Oct. 3 her family was visiting Vancouver, Canada, and did not intend to enter the U.S. Her husband’s cousin, Michael Connors, was driving close to the border, and when an animal suddenly appeared in the lane, he turned onto an unmarked road to avoid a collision."

So it says that the person that had been refused entry to the U.S. with possible criminal ties was driving. The claim is than an animal suddenly appeared. If one looks at the video one can see an animal down the road quite a ways. That is no "suddenly appeared". Nor was there any need to veer to avoid it. Nor did he. If you watch the video he did not "turn onto an unmarked road". Perhaps "turn" means something different in England. He crossed a ditch to a separate parallel road in a slow and determined manner. He did so immediately after turning onto that road. Second he was carrying $16,000.00 Canadian cash which I do believe is a bit over the $10,000.00 dollars in U.S. equivalent allowed to be brought in from another country. There was also cannabis present. At first I said that did not bother me, but on second thought I do have a problem with it. For every good reasons there are open bottle laws when it comes to alcohol and driving. Cannabis and driving is also a significant problem. It has led to an increase in accident rates in my state and others that have legalized it. Back in the bad old days people that were high on pot were usually to afraid to drive. Now that it is legal that same pressure is not on them:

Legalized marijuana linked to a sharp rise in car crashes

So I have to walk back my claim that this did not bother me. If a person uses cannabis at home that is not a problem. But they would need to explain why it is in a car, with young children to boot. It is as significant of a finding as an open bottle in a car would be. It is the sort of discovery that puts a burden of proof upon the driver of that vehicle at the very least.

And here is a link to an article with the video of the illegal crossing. One can tell it is shot through a telescopic lens which means that distances are foreshortened. The foreshortening can be seen in the apparently small distance between utility poles. Link to the video:

https://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/local/crime/article236336838.html

And the CBP notice the animal too, but they understand foreshortening:

'A border patrol spokesperson, who spoke on condition of not being named, acknowledged that the video shows a small animal crossing the street some distance ahead of the Connors' vehicle. But he said it would be odd to drive through a ditch to avoid an animal moving so slowly and so far away."

The story of the crossers falls apart when one looks at the evidence. When they lied about crossing why would one believe them about the conditions that there were kept in?

I have not seen anything that supports the story of the crossers, yet if there claims were true there should be some evidence of that.

Shad

Veteran Member
That's what I would expect. I don't see how these folks crossed an international border on a public road without knowing. Perhaps the reaction by border patrol was somewhat knee-jerk, but those guys are just following a protocol.

The fishy thing about CBP conduct was communication with the UK consulate. In a previous post I linked the consulate's website with contact information which has a 24 hour phone line for those in trouble including those arrested. At best it was poor effort if in fact CBP did call as they didn't try to call after the first attempt failed.

Shad

Veteran Member
I'm going to go with liars.

It was their statement. The wife claimed they turned down an unmarked road. There is no unmarked road going from 0 ave into the US. They crossed either a ditch or grass to Boundary road which runs parallel to 0 ave for miles until it hits Blaine and Sumas. More so if they were trying to get back to Vancouver why are they driving South and not West.... Vancouver is pretty much as far West as you can drive until you need a ferry. More so they would pass major streets and highways in Surrey to get to 0 Ave. Maybe of those major streets have signs with direction.

*I say grass as at points there is no ditch.

**I live in the Lower Mainland. I know the area. That is why their story does not pass the smell test.

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member
All I'm asking is whether they knew the ditch was the border. You're insisting that they did know this and I'd like to know how you're so sure.

You didn't read the statements did you? The wife said they turned down an unmarked road. They never crossed a ditch... There is no unmarked road going from 0 ave into the US. They are lying

Here is the video and reporting of the statement. They are going south. They claim an animal got in the way but never turn left nor right down 0 ave. Obviously the animal isn't in two place at once. They just go right across the shallow ditch. The only signs on the video of an animal is what looks like a rabbit that is not even close to them.... It's a rabbit.... Honk the horn.

CBP Northwest on Twitter

Detention of U.K. family fuels calls to close troubled Berks County facility

Last edited:

Cooky

Veteran Member
He crossed a ditch to a separate parallel road in a slow and determined manner. He did so immediately after turning onto that road. Second he was carrying $16,000.00 Canadian cash which I do believe is a bit over the $10,000.00 dollars in U.S. equivalent allowed to be brought in from another country. There was also cannabis present. At first I said that did not bother me, but on second thought I do have a problem with it. For every good reasons there are open bottle laws when it comes to alcohol and driving. Cannabis and driving is also a significant problem. It has led to an increase in accident rates in my state and others that have legalized it. Back in the bad old days people that were high on pot were usually to afraid to drive.

tenor-7.gif

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The fishy thing about CBP conduct was communication with the UK consulate. In a previous post I linked the consulate's website with contact information which has a 24 hour phone line for those in trouble including those arrested. At best it was poor effort if in fact CBP did call as they didn't try to call after the first attempt failed.
Or perhaps the UK was in no hurry to get these people back. They contacted Canada first, they did not want them back. They contacted the consulate, they did not reply. They may have a 24 hour telephone line, that does not mean that they will respond instantly.