• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corporatism?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Here's a wikipedia article about Corporatism:

Corporatism - Wikipedia

I'd heard of it before but wasn't aware of what it was until i looked it up

I think it all makes sense but I'm in two minds

I think that at best it amounts to a system of direct democracy...

And that at worst it could be a kind of caste system, like in the film Divergent or in India

What do others think?

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member

Corporatism - Wikipedia

And that at worst it could be a kind of caste system, like in the film Divergent or in India

What do others think?
Its just another idea about how to cure social ills. The web page goes through some examples of ways people have tried it. It reminds me of class systems and guilds, but I think its better if people get to choose what skills to learn. That being said its not easy to pick a career when you're young. Some people think they will be good at something then find out they're terrible at it, but at least they picked it.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Its just another idea about how to cure social ills. The web page goes through some examples of ways people have tried it. It reminds me of class systems and guilds, but I think its better if people get to choose what skills to learn. That being said its not easy to pick a career when you're young. Some people think they will be good at something then find out they're terrible at it, but at least they picked it.
Or much more likely, it's pick something you enjoy when you're young, and think you'll love to do all your life, only to find later that it's something that you don't...

PureX

Veteran Member

Corporatism - Wikipedia

What do others think?
It still requires oversight and regulation to work, or one "corporation" (guild, whatever) will rule and inevitably abuse the others. And that invites the same corruption that any form of government can succumb to. The mechanics of government are irrelevant until we find a way of minimizing the corruption of government by those who would use it to subjugate and exploit everyone else.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Corporatism - Wikipedia

What do others think?
Whether for good or ill, the worst thing would be giving government the
power to prevent such free association. And many do advocate that.

PureX

Veteran Member
Whether for good or ill, the worst thing would be giving government the
power to prevent such free association. And many do advocate that.
The same way and for the same reasons we advocate against back room price-fixing, and corporate slush funds for political bribery, and conspiratorial monopolies in the media, etc.,. Or, well, we USED to advocate and make laws against this sort of thing. But those days are long gone, now, and those laws have all been repealed or shot full of loopholes so that corporate conspiracies abound, and they very successfully bribe the legislature, price-fix, and control (withhold) public information. It's all just normal business practice in the U.S., now days. They can even start wars and invade other countries if they feel like it.

Yeah, we sure wouldn't want to reign any of THAT in!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The same way and for the same reasons we advocate against back room price-fixing, and corporate slush funds for political bribery, and conspiratorial monopolies in the media, etc.,.
Those things fundamentally differ from free association.

PureX

Veteran Member
Those things fundamentally differ from free association.
"Free association" can't be free from the law or it soon becomes; "let's you and I join forces so we can exploit and abuse everyone else, here!" And if it's not free from the law, why are we calling it "free" association in the first place? What kind of freedom are you referring to if it's not, and cannot actually be free? What's it free of?

Shad

Veteran Member

Corporatism - Wikipedia

What do others think?

Forms of this in the past hindered development; See Guilds in Renaissance/Tudor England.

I think implementation will result in the latter not the former. Corporations have far too much power already without being directly in control of governments.

PureX

Veteran Member
Government limitations on political topics, how many can gather, their spending.
I don't see government limiting how many can gather, or why, it only limits the gathering's effect on public safety. And one of the main purposes of government is to decide what and how much we will spend our collective resources on. You need to be more specific about how you think the government wrongly infringes on free association. Because it looks to me like we need to be regulating (infringing on) it a lot more than we are. We have CEOs routinely holding secret meetings with legislators who's elections they paid for, to plot strategies for creating and passing legislative agendas for the further economic exploitation of the American people. I'd say that's an association that really needs to stop.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't see government limiting how many can gather, or why, it only limits the gathering's effect on public safety.
There have been periodic attempts to limit assembly though.
And one of the main purposes of government is to decide what and how much we will spend our collective resources on. You need to be more specific about how you think the government wrongly infringes on free association. Because it looks to me like we need to be regulating (infringing on) it a lot more than we are.
That's why you're not a libertarian, ie, wanting more regulation of political speech.
We have CEOs routinely holding secret meetings with legislators who's elections they paid for, to plot strategies for creating and passing legislative agendas for the further economic exploitation of the American people. I'd say that's an association that really needs to stop.
There should be no bribery.
However, I believe in the right to meet secretly with others...with anyone.