• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corporal punishment

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Says you.

But discipline =\= physical punishment.

Someone can't think outside the discipline box I see.
Some kids need very little discipline...some need a lot.
I'm glad my parents disciplined me and that sometimes included spanking.
I even got spanked in high school once. Guess what? It didn't emotionally scar me, it made me understand that actions have consequences, which helps me in adult life.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Times, they are a-changing. The wiki article shows when various countries abolished it completely. What is your religion's take on it? What about your country? How about you personally?

Corporal punishment - Wikipedia
Its open to interpretation. My parents spanked, but their children did not. At the center was the interpretation of a scripture verse 'Rod of correction'. My parents took it to mean that children must be spanked. Part it was a misunderstanding about scripture, but mainly this misunderstanding came from negligence on the part of grandparents on both sides. A bad grandparent has stacking effects over time. Two out of four grandparents were quite negligent or purposely abusive. The other two were saintly but did not have a lot of guidance from their own parents. They either spoiled or over-disciplined.

This all subtracted to a lack of understanding of how children ought to be reared, and though our parents did their best to find out how to do things in the best way possible, they lacked clear guidance. Over time and while raising five children they improved their knowledge, and their own children my siblings became very good disciplinarians who did not rely upon spanking. I have never had children, so this has not been a choice I've had to make.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
It didn't emotionally scar me, it made me understand that actions have consequences, which helps me in adult life.

That is the worst excuse I have ever heard.

Especially, when you are ignoring the massive amount of evidence to the contrary. The fact that you can even use this excuse, means it did scar you. The answer is the scar.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I even got spanked in high school once. Guess what? It didn't emotionally scar me, it made me understand that actions have consequences, which helps me in adult life.
How does it help you out in adult life? Does your boss punch you in the face if you mess up at work? Do you beat your wife when she doesn't do what you ask her to?

Probably not, right? Because it's illegal for adults to hit other adults. But you think it should be a-ok to hit kids to help them in their "adult life."

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm glad too. I might have otherwise let me people lead me around, follow authority blindly, and never had the courage to callout my bosses over their crap. I wouldn't be a good liar either, and I've used that skill to help friends out many times. I wouldn't have realized you can break the rules and probably nothing will happen but you'll get what you want anyways. It wouldn't have taught me some punishments are easily endured and a minor inconvenience.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
It's not illegal everywhere and should not be.
Bear-baiting? I know corporal punishment isn't - I saw the world map of it just this week when the topic was covered in a religious education class at the school where I work. (Apparently it is not condoned by Christianity ;) ).

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
For England, isn't this just in schooling? I think it is illegal overall in Scotland and Ireland, but not yet in England. Given there are restrictions as to what can be carried out.

England is still sitting on the fence. Corporal punishment is banned to all but parents.
However if parental corporal punishment results in more than a temporary light reddening of the skin charges of GBH can be applied, which carry a sentence of more than 6 months.
As a result parents are well advised not to physically punish their children, or they might end up in prison and their children put into care.

There is also very strong social pressure never to hit children.

All studies have shown that corporal punishment is counter productive.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
How does a person "lovingly" hit a child?
First... don't "hit" them.
Second... don't use your hand (hands are for blessing)
Third... get a small paddle that has a ball attached to it by a rubber band. Remove rubber and ball.
Fourth... Sit down with all your love and explain that bad actions have consequences. (you are teaching them that the world will spank them but without love) I use scripture here.
Fifth... Give them one swat (It is more the embarrassment than the actual swat :) )
Sixth... Have them say what they did wrong and ask forgiveness.
Seventh... Let them know they are a child of God and children of God don't do those things.
Eighth... Give them a BIG hug, tell them how much you love them
Ninth... Go out and have a ball with your child and act like they never did anything wrong and don't every bring it up again... (No - this is the FIFTH time I've told you :) )

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
In what circumstances would you do that, and do you really believe it's going to help?

It really helped my children understand that lying was not a good thing. I always remembered that spanking is a tool... it isn't an answer. Overusing the tool makes it ineffective.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
First... don't "hit" them.
Second... don't use your hand (hands are for blessing)
Third... get a small paddle that has a ball attached to it by a rubber band. Remove rubber and ball.
Fourth... Sit down with all your love and explain that bad actions have consequences. (you are teaching them that the world will spank them but without love) I use scripture here.
Fifth... Give them one swat (It is more the embarrassment than the actual swat :) )
Sixth... Have them say what they did wrong and ask forgiveness.
Seventh... Let them know they are a child of God and children of God don't do those things.
Eighth... Give them a BIG hug, tell them how much you love them
Ninth... Go out and have a ball with your child and act like they never did anything wrong and don't every bring it up again... (No - this is the FIFTH time I've told you :) )
It would be a lot more effective without the hitting part. And look how you've described it .... "it is more the embarrassment than the actual swat." How do you think the child internalizes that embarrassment from being physically hit? You should listen to what other posters learned by being punished in this manner as a child - none of it was positive. And all available empirical evidence backs that up.

You don't seriously think it's not "hitting" if you use a weapon instead of your hand, do you?

The world will not spank them. And if they do, it's considered a crime.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It really helped my children understand that lying was not a good thing. I always remembered that spanking is a tool... it isn't an answer. Overusing the tool makes it ineffective.
How do you know they understood, of did they just say they understood out of fear of getting hit again? In my experience from parenting and teaching, there are plenty of other more non-violent ways to explain to a child how lying isn't a good thing, that would include how sometimes it is a good thing. It was a long discussion whenever I taught the novel Number the Stars to my Grade 5 class.

But thanks for answering. It's helping me to understand the mindset that is still out there.