• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corporal punishment

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
For England, isn't this just in schooling? I think it is illegal overall in Scotland and Ireland, but not yet in England. Given there are restrictions as to what can be carried out.

Yes, parents may physically beat their children but... Common law has a general prohibition against all physical contact and battery.

So it is both legal and illegal by different laws.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I was caned,hit with a leather strap,a ruler accross the hand,a slap for not putting my hands together for saying grace in primary school.

When I got to secondary school that continued until I refused to let anyone hit me so at 14 years old a maths teacher hit me with a blackboard rubber and I hit him and knocked him over,I had to be pulled off him,I had to have private tutoring for the rest of my school years because I was expelled.

There is so much wrong in an adult inflicting pain on a child,I had my first canning on my first day at primary school at age 5,I will never forget it,there I was waiting outside the headmaster’s office thinking wtf and he opens the door and ushers me in,”fighting in school is not allowed here boy,bend over”whack x3,and something like “that’s so you don’t forget”.

If you use corporal punishment for children you’ve already lost,it will end in resentment and rebellion and definitely never good.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Thanks for all the replies, everyone. In my view, it's assault, and assault on a child, someone much smaller than you, and sometimes helpless. What kind of person would do that?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I am uncertain, and the question is complicated by the number of different states in my country and our various laws and precedents. A killer in one state may get a different punishment than a killer in another state.

The idea that the death penalty is evil while imprisonment is good -- that idea is given too much credit. Prison is an evil, too. Prison seems like a terrible experience. It is our way of making people afraid to break laws, and it is our way of getting vengeance and doing a little evil ourselves. Some believe we have to have justice or society breaks down. I think they are right, since among humans there are many personality problems and insanities.

In the past it was believed that condemning someone to death might send them to hell. People usually don't believe that, now. Most believe it ends them; so I think death penalty should seem less cruel than it did.

An innocent person can be convicted. If convicted they may still think "At least I do not deserve to be so ill treated," however life imprisonment may also turn them bitter and make them worse. Death could be better. It could be worse.
Uhh, sorry, you must have misread, the topic is corporal punishment, not capital punishment. That's a whole other discussion.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
It's not illegal everywhere and should not be.

"Corporal punishment is linked to a range of negative outcomes for children across countries and cultures, including physical and mental ill-health, impaired cognitive and socio-emotional development, poor educational outcomes, increased aggression and perpetration of violence. "

"Evidence shows corporal punishment increases children’s behavioural problems over time and has no positive outcomes."

Corporal punishment and health.

I'm gonna have to say you're wrong here. No good comes from striking an innocent.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's not illegal everywhere and should not be.
It's illegal to hit an adult so how do you reason it should be legal to hit a child, especially in light of evidence showing it is ineffective at best in fostering desired behaviors and teaching right from wrong in children?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm gonna have to say you're wrong here. No good comes from striking an innocent.
It really doesn't. All it taught me was to not get caught and lie to avoid punishment, especially growing up with an authoritarian parent (a combination that frequently leads to an adult who is highly submissive or is anti-authority).
It's illegal to hit an adult. How can it be legal to hit a child who is more easily broken than an adult?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
It really doesn't. All it taught me was to not get caught and lie to avoid punishment, especially growing up with an authoritarian parent (a combination that frequently leads to an adult who is highly submissive or is anti-authority).
It's illegal to hit an adult. How can it be legal to hit a child who is more easily broken than an adult?

Pretty much the identical lessons learned here. Nothing. Except contempt.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Smacking a kid on the butt for punishment isn't heartless. Never disciplining your kids is heartless.
It's the year 2022. There are a ton of effective ways to discipline your kids that don't involve hitting them. All existing evidence demonstrates that hitting kids is detrimental to their physical, emotional and psychological well-being.

Funny how you keep avoiding the point about how it's illegal to hit adults.

Gotta love this stance ... forced births and child abuse everybody!