• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coronavirus Facts and Information thread:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
India plans to vaccinate 300M as COVID-19 cases surpass 10M

Dec. 19 (UPI) -- As India's COVID-19 cases surpassed 10 million people Saturday, the country announced plans to vaccinate 300 million people starting in January.

The Indian government identified 300 million people to receive the first vaccine doses, CNN reported.

The group includes 270 million vulnerable people, mostly above age 50, and others with serious comorbidities, and 30 million healthcare workers, policemen, soldiers and volunteers.

Three producers of coronavirus vaccines have applied for emergency use authorization, and each of them requires vaccinations to be administered in two doses, which means 600 million shots.

The country's public health system is already under pressure from having the second-highest number of COVID-19 cases worldwide, trailing only the United States, and having the third-highest number of deaths, trailing the United States and Brazil.

The rollout of the vaccinations is expected to begin in January, federal health officials told the BBC.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
'Mom's worth it': US holiday travel surges despite outbreak

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Some are elderly and figure they don’t have many Christmases left. Others are trying to keep long-distance romance alive. Some just yearn for the human connection that’s been absent for the past nine months.

Millions of Americans are traveling ahead of Christmas and New Year’s, despite pleas from public health experts that they stay home to avoid fueling the raging coronavirus pandemic that has killed more than 320,000 nationwide.

Many people at airports this week thought long and hard about whether to go somewhere and found a way to rationalize it.

“My mom’s worth it. She needs my help,” said 34-year-old Jennifer Brownlee, a fisherman from Bayou La Batre, Alabama, who was waiting at the Tampa airport to fly to Oregon to see her mother, who just lost a leg. “I know that God’s got me. He’s not going to let me get sick.”

1000.jpeg

I wouldn't want to travel on a plane these days.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I wondered. "Capacity" is tricky because it's more than beds is part of the answer. But I think they overcomplicated the calculation.

How can California have 0% ICU capacity and 1,300 available ICU beds?

CDPH says it calculates the adjusted ICU capacity based on the proportion of ICU patients who have COVID-19. “If a region is utilizing more than 30% of its ICU beds for COVID-19 positive patients, then its available ICU capacity is adjusted downward by 0.5% for each 1% over the 30% threshold,” according to the CDPH office of public affairs.

Dr. Mark Ghaly, the state’s Health and Human Services secretary, addressed the adjustment during Tuesday’s COVID update. “When we have seen hospitals with ICU capacity used up for COVID above 30% we consider… that region’s ICU capacity really ill-prepared to serve and support individuals with other sorts of urgent and emergent needs, like heart attacks, strokes, other trauma.”
Adjusted or unadjusted, health experts say ICU capacity is a highly fluid number that also factors in the availability of ICU nurses, necessary equipment, and suitable space — not simply beds. Ultimately, experts say, capacity can be increased some, but gauging capacity is an essential tool to monitor how much we’re straining the system.