• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coronavirus Facts and Information thread:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
For the 3rd time in a week, U.S. sets new record for COVID-19 cases

July 10 (UPI) -- For the third time in a week, the United States has broken the single-day record for new COVID-19 cases -- and this time the tally exceeded 63,000 cases, topping the previous mark by thousands.

Updated data Friday from researchers at Johns Hopkins University said about 63,200 new cases were reported Thursday in the United States -- breaking the previous high, set Tuesday, by about 3,000 patients.

About 3.12 million cases and 133,300 deaths have been reported in the United States to date, according to Johns Hopkins.

Florida reported a record 120 deaths and almost 9,000 new cases Thursday, a slight decline from previous days that saw more than 10,000 new cases.

RELATED Trump heads to Florida amid state's dramatic rise in COVID-19 cases

Bed space in intensive care units and hospital vacancy is limited statewide. Health officials said about half of all Florida ICU units are at least 90 percent full and more than 400 patients were hospitalized Thursday, another record.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Today's story. This is yet another already approved drug that if effective could be used quickly because of the existing approval.

Drug could eradicate COVID-19 from lungs in days

FDA-approved drug Fenofibrate (Tricor) could reduce SARS-CoV-2’s ability to reproduce or even make it disappear.
What they found is that the novel coronavirus prevents the routine burning of carbohydrates, which results in large amounts of fat accumulating inside lung cells – a condition the virus needs to reproduce.
Tricor caused the cells to start burning fat, Nahmias said. The result was that the virus almost completely disappeared within only five days of treatment.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Had my first cigarette in 3 months and 20 days (I am a smoker of 62 years standing). Did not like it, the smoke did not feel smooth. Sent my head in circles. threw it away before I finished it.
Well, thanks to our Prime Minister, Narendra Modi. He got it done for me what I could not do in 62 years, to stop smoking. The family way very happy. Within a week of not smoking, my morning cough disappeared. Th color of my lips also has changed to natural except for some fringe.
You see, the problem in India is that the cigarette sellers also prepare betel leaf thingy (paan), which involves use of liquids by hand. It takes time and people stand in front of the shops, so it is a big danger in corona times. The government had them closed.

images
images

I am not going to smoke now, except perhaps occasionally.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
So, why is the rate so much higher per 100,000 here in the States than in Canada?

I'll leave that question for now and return later to provide a take on this from a person who knows both quite well. [company's arriving any minute, so I'll just have to keep yas in suspenders]

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Responding to my own question in my post 515, here's from a man who has his "feet" in both the U.S. and Canada:
Canada's attempts to combat the coronavirus are far from perfect — it trails behind the low death rates of South Korea and Germany — but it's doing a lot better than the US.

According to Vox, the US has nearly twice as many confirmed cases of the coronavirus as Canada, and it has 30% more deaths per capita...

Both nations watched coronavirus spike at about the same time in mid-March. But Canada's caseload trajectory took a far gentler curve than that in the US.

These divergent trajectories are down to a number of factors. Canada's response was mostly quick and coordinated — it closed down schools and promptly told people to stay home, according to The Guardian. Its borders were shut off to every country but the US on March 16. (The US-Canada land border was also closed on March 20.)

In the US, weeks were lost as different states went into lockdowns at different points, or at different "half-hearted" levels.

Politics mattered, too. While President Donald Trump was hosting daily coronavirus briefings where he criticized governors, and wrongly suggested disinfectant could be a coronavirus cure, Canada's leaders mostly came together and took the coronavirus seriously...

University of Toronto epidemiologist David Fisman told Vox: "We have a federal government that is supporting provinces' responses. You [in the US] have a chief executive who is directly undermining the public health response."

For instance, on March 24, Trump forecast that normality would return by Easter. No politician said the same in Canada. Instead, on April 2, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called for a "Team Canada" effort to stem the outbreak, before parliament debated a massive aid package proposal. Canada's deputy Prime Miniser Chrystia Freeland told reporters that "now is not the time for partisanship."

Another big difference is that Canada continued to fund public-health groups before the coronavirus hit, while the US repeatedly cut funding to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)...

In the US, hospitals are private. In Canada, the health system is based on fixed funding and it does not matter how many beds are used. This, he said: "allows the public health authorities to essentially commandeer the hospital system. It's a command and control thing, it's not a coordination thing."

So authorities in Canada could order hospitals to prepare. In the US, he said, no one could tell hospitals what to do. But, even worse than that, the system was designed to work against such orders...

But Canada can be praised for basic competence. According to Vox, it's "what you would expect from a country with a functioning political and health care system. The United States, by contrast, hasn't cleared this lowest of bars."

York University political scientist Steven Hoffman told Vox Canada's biggest health threat is now cases coming from the US.
-- Canada is dealing with the coronavirus far better than the US, which has 30% more deaths per capita. Here's why.

And since the article was written, the numbers in Canada went down and have stayed down, whereas in the U.S. they are again spiking.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Responding to my own question in my post 515, here's from a man who has his "feet" in both the U.S. and Canada:
Canada's attempts to combat the coronavirus are far from perfect — it trails behind the low death rates of South Korea and Germany — but it's doing a lot better than the US.

According to Vox, the US has nearly twice as many confirmed cases of the coronavirus as Canada, and it has 30% more deaths per capita...

Both nations watched coronavirus spike at about the same time in mid-March. But Canada's caseload trajectory took a far gentler curve than that in the US.

These divergent trajectories are down to a number of factors. Canada's response was mostly quick and coordinated — it closed down schools and promptly told people to stay home, according to The Guardian. Its borders were shut off to every country but the US on March 16. (The US-Canada land border was also closed on March 20.)

In the US, weeks were lost as different states went into lockdowns at different points, or at different "half-hearted" levels.

Politics mattered, too. While President Donald Trump was hosting daily coronavirus briefings where he criticized governors, and wrongly suggested disinfectant could be a coronavirus cure, Canada's leaders mostly came together and took the coronavirus seriously...

University of Toronto epidemiologist David Fisman told Vox: "We have a federal government that is supporting provinces' responses. You [in the US] have a chief executive who is directly undermining the public health response."

For instance, on March 24, Trump forecast that normality would return by Easter. No politician said the same in Canada. Instead, on April 2, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called for a "Team Canada" effort to stem the outbreak, before parliament debated a massive aid package proposal. Canada's deputy Prime Miniser Chrystia Freeland told reporters that "now is not the time for partisanship."

Another big difference is that Canada continued to fund public-health groups before the coronavirus hit, while the US repeatedly cut funding to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)...

In the US, hospitals are private. In Canada, the health system is based on fixed funding and it does not matter how many beds are used. This, he said: "allows the public health authorities to essentially commandeer the hospital system. It's a command and control thing, it's not a coordination thing."

So authorities in Canada could order hospitals to prepare. In the US, he said, no one could tell hospitals what to do. But, even worse than that, the system was designed to work against such orders...

But Canada can be praised for basic competence. According to Vox, it's "what you would expect from a country with a functioning political and health care system. The United States, by contrast, hasn't cleared this lowest of bars."

York University political scientist Steven Hoffman told Vox Canada's biggest health threat is now cases coming from the US.
-- Canada is dealing with the coronavirus far better than the US, which has 30% more deaths per capita. Here's why.

And since the article was written, the numbers in Canada went down and have stayed down, whereas in the U.S. they are again spiking.
Yeah but aside from all that. :p