• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coronavirus Facts and Information thread:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It looks like France will extend the lockdown because idiots are breaking the rules. Over 4000 fines have been issued to people being outside without the the form stating valid reason. Its simple enough, if you need to go out then download the form from the interior ministry site or most (if not all) mairie sites. Fill it in and go.

Valid reasons for breaking self confinement

Travel between home and the place of professional activity, when essential for the exercise of activities that cannot be organised in the form of teleworking (on permanent proof) or professional trips that cannot be postponed;

Travel to make essential purchases in authorised establishments (list on gouvernement.fr);

Travel for health reasons;

Travel for imperative family reasons, for assistance to vulnerable persons or childcare;

Short trips, close to home, related to the individual physical activity of people, excluding any collective sports practice, and to the needs of pets.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
it moves
it makes more of itself

it kills when it does so

I don't believe dead things do so
In what way does it move? It can penetrate a cell wall, or be passively engulfed by a cell. That's about it
It can't make more of itself. It has no mechanism to do so. In fact, it has no metabolic activity of any kind.

Is a computer virus alive? If not, then neither is an actual virus. They're basically the same thing,

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Whatever you do, don't start obsessively hitting refresh. We're up to over 275k now.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
A Nate Silver tweet provided some things to look at that I agree might be more important than raw numbers:

For the most part, I'm much more interested in measures like these in NYC than in the count of positive cases.
* Hospitalizations
* ER visits
* People in ICUs
* People on ventilators
* COVID among medical staff
* Equipment shortages
* People denied care

There's also a tweet in my feed about some hospitals in NYC running out of ventilators and mask reuse by staff.

We Never Know

No Slack
In what way does it move? It can penetrate a cell wall, or be passively engulfed by a cell. That's about it
It can't make more of itself. It has no mechanism to do so. In fact, it has no metabolic activity of any kind.

Is a computer virus alive? If not, then neither is an actual virus. They're basically the same thing,
False comparison. A computer virus is manmade and is absolutely not natural and it has nothing to do with natural life at all.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
***Mod Post***

At some point all the debating posts in this thread are going to disappear. The less you give us to deal with, the more likely it is that that's all that's going to disappear

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
An update on hydrogen peroxide as hand sanitizer:

I've read a bunch I'd articles saying that hydrogen peroxide is effective against Covid-19 when used on surfaces, particularly hard surfaces, but I haven't been able to find anything specifically recommenimg it as a hand sanitizer.

One thing I did find out us that it takes 3 to 6 minutes to kill the virus, so if you're using it, take that into account.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Confirmed Coronavirus Cases Are Growing Faster In The United States Than Any Other Country In The World

960x0.jpg

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Again: this thread is strictly for the posting of information.

Not debate, discussion, or anything else

There are a bunch of other threads in the forums for all that.

Also, feel free to start a thread if something you want to discuss isn't already being covered.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Tip:
Gas pump handles are touched often and by travelers!
Likely rarely if ever cleaned.
Watch yourself there.​

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The impact of the USA finally getting adequate testing later than others is revealed in the current numbers, at least to some extent. I also think we were a bit later than Europe in the spread of the pandemic.

38,757 total +14,550 "new" cases.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There's something very odd about that site's numbers. The count for the US went down significantly: +8,149