• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coronavirus Diary: Living in Lincolnshire, UK

Laika

Premium Member
Monday 23rd March 2020. 7-8am.

The cat has insisted on coming in my bedroom. I'm sitting up in bed and typing away on my chromebook. Normally, I'd get up and use my mum's phone as I would lock myself out of the internet. But there isn't much point now as the internet is going to be what I do for much of the time.

Much of this stuff is just "everyday" details that I wouldn't normally share. But maybe it will resonate more now that Coronavirus has turned everything upside down and affecting each of us in different ways. As this is going to go on for quite some time and it may be worth keeping a record of the day-to-day changes in case people are interested, here is how things look.

I live in the county of Lincolnshire in the UK. As of today, there are 5,683 cases in the UK as a whole and 281 deaths. So far there have only been 14 cases in Lincolnshire. The first confirmed case was in the start of March (someone has come back from Italy as I recall).

We are an extremely large, rural county and very sparely populated. It is difficult to get around without a car so I have to rely on public transport. That is almost always the bus. The nearest towns and city (Grimsby, Skegness and Lincoln) are essentially 2 hours away on the bus (so it's a 4 hour round trip for a day out say if I want to visit a bookshop like Waterstones or get some cheap clothes at Primark). All three have train stations and I have had "adventures" trying to do a round trip using the train to get between Grimsby, Lincoln and Skgness, then using the bus to make the journey back to my house between Skegness and grinsby. This is as much excitement as I can get from "travelling", but it gives me almost a whole day out of the house, probably 6-8 hours travelling easily, with some scenic views out the bus/train window. It's costs a bit, but its not a bad thing if I really need to think something over.

At the start of March I booked a holiday in Lincoln so I could actually do some of these things because it's easier to stay in a premier inn for three nights than to actually travel there and back in a day. It also give me a break from being in the house (and my parents a break so they can have the house to themselves). When I went off, I did check some of the deatils of "what to do" if you think you have the virus, but it wasn't such a big deal. Only the first case in the county has been confirmed at that point. In the past two weeks, everything has changed in terms of what we are seeing in the news. I timed the visit to coincide with a meeting of a housing charity to consider my options as I have been basically stuck in the house for over a decade, and depression has simply "changed" rather than necessarily getting better. I also visited the local citizens advice bureau to get some idea on what benefits might be available. It is simply easier to do stuff like that when you are in a place where you can meet people face to face. Depression makes it harder to go out and organise things, compouding the effect of the isolation.

This isolation has been an utter blight for me over the past few years in terms of jobs, housing and relationships as I am basically stuck in the house much of the time. The one exception is travelling to Louth (30 minutes away on the bus) which is convenient if I just want to stretch my legs, buy a few essentials or have a meal). Now it has suddenly become an advantage as we are essentially cut off the from the rest of the country.

Unfortunately, not everyone got the message. As the country goes in to self-isolation many people have come to Skegness as if it were a holiday, probably bringing the coronairus with them. Skegness was once a traditional working class seaside resort (famous for the ad campaign "skegness is bracing") but has fallen on hard times. Most of the year it has only a few people milling around, but in the tourist season in the summer can be packed depending on the weather. The train links are awful and very slow, but connect skegness to grantham (which goes south to London) and to nottingham. That is probably where most of the people came from.

'Disaster waiting to happen': visitors flock to Skegness

There are also signs that people in Lincoln haven't got the message either, with some footage from twitter showing crowds of people waiting in line at the local Tesco. Local newspapers have also reported panic buying and some shortages.

Brendan Lawlor on Twitter
Coronavirus: Panic-buying as Lincoln stores sell out of toilet rolls
No end in sight - shelves picked clean as fears over coronavirus grow

This kind of behaviour has legitimately infuriated my dad who couldn't understand why people would be so selfish and oblivious. Honestly, neither could I, but having spent far too long on the internet, I might be able to process it better. So I had a chat with him one evening after the news broke, so he could let off steam. He went to bed after I read out a BBC news story on how they tracked down the virus to the Pangollin (a sort of ant eater with scales). He said that made him feel a bit better about the whole thing, if only by making the virus a bit more tangile and he slept well that night.

I live with my parents on the road to Mablethorpe (another sea side resort- only with even less stuff to do than Skegness). The main road has been quieter the past few days as fewer cars go past the house. There is a Spar supermarket just up the road (2 or 3 minutes drive away) for a local caravan tourist resort. I've been there once to get a loaf of bread (it was rationed, which is fair enough). My parents went up there yesterday to get a few essentials. So aside from deliberately reducing the amount of times we go out (which was always limited anyway), we haven't been dramatically effected so far.

My dad turned 70 in March and we celebrated with some cherry cake and a few cards. Now, we learn he will have to self-isolate because he is old enough to fall in the vulnerable category. Both my parents have hypertension/high blood pressure and take medications for it. So they are in "at risk" categories as that is an underlying condition. So far, they are both well and coping with the changes. My dad has spent much of his time out in the garden.

The biggest impact so far has been on food. We are used to eating probably a bit too much. Yesterday we have some home made Artichoke soup (with alot less bread than usual) and some omelettes with tinned beans and sausage. We keep 3 chickens and then tend to lay 3 eggs a day so we have to use up the eggs for food. My mum took steps to build up a food store in case of Brexit and all the disruption that was expected to follow. Whilst that hasn't come to pass, we are now using it for the Coronavirus. Funny, how things turn out isn't it?

One concern I do have is that I have been unable to get in contact with a friend who I knew from University. We've been in touch for years, often having a chat on the phone every month or two and I occasionally go down to visit. (Despite repeated offers, he has yet to visit me up in Lincolnshire, particularly as travel is so inconvenient). He lives and works down in London, which is the centre of the outbreak. He and his girl friend visited Florence sometime in February and it is not clear if he was caught up in the outbreak there. It would be sheer bad utter timing if he was. I haven't heart anything from him since February despite texting him each weekend since March began.

I quit Facebook early last year, but have created a new account to see if I can get in touch with him that way (no response so far). I have also sent friend requests to a few people I know including my cousin. He is a music teacher and chorister in Wells cathedral. He is getting paid for the choir, whilst having to teach remotely from home (on "Zoom" which I am not familiar with). His wife works at a local school and so it going to be looking after the "worker children" as he put it during the outbreak till the Easter holidays. As he's in a local band, all his events or "gigs" have been cancelled. So he's been doing some gardening and will be in charge of their two kids next week. The local Tesco was also busy. So they are feeling some of the disruptive effects of the outbreak too, despite being in the other side of the country.

There is a local Facebook group for the village I am in and there is a chance that, if the worst comes to the worst, we can ring a phone number to one of the local people here (working at a caravan park) and they will deliver some essentials (milk, bread and eggs) so we don't have to go out of the house. In other times, I would visit a local resturant in the village for half an hour or an hour out of the house (often timed for when I'm feeling anxious or depressed). That's not an option now, but the local business appears to be trying to deliver to people to keep the place afloat. The UK offically closed all bars and resturants, much to the protests of the owners of Weatherspoons who vowed to stay open no matter what.

Coronavirus: Wetherspoon's boss says 'over the top' to shut pubs

To be fair, Weatherspoons do offer a consistent menu and have locations in both Louth, Grimsby, Skegness and Lincoln so I am a regular customer (when I get the chance to get out). The food is consistently good and I visited the Lincoln branch when I stayed there. Whilst waiting for food, I usually glance at the in-house magazine, which advertises new food, different locations and contains deabtes on Brexit (the owner of Weatherspoons is a fervent and vocal supporter of Brexit).

For me, beyond feeling a bit more hungry than usual (which given the need to lose some weight isn't a bad thing) and knowing I can go out even less than usual, I have all but given up trying to self-regulate my internet usage. There is basically nothing to do than be online. I might lock myself out off for an hour or so, just to get my head clear, but that's about it. Maybe a new routine will emerge, but everything is literally on hold for now. My mental health has been extremely good so far. I've been surprised. I expect being stuck in the house will become frustrating over time, but so far- knowing that people are actually doing something about the coronavirus nationally and internationally, has been more reassuring. If we hold tight and sit this out, we might be one of the lucky ones.

Jess, our black female cat, has however been minimally affected. Much to her approval, as she sleeps on my bed after clawing and meowing at my door this morning. Cats always seem to own the place, whether there is a global pandemic or not.

Last edited:

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
hang in there,

i'm isolating too, internet is very important for my sanity

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I was already isolated voluntarily as I am an Aspie and had already learned to use the Internet to have human contact beside my wife.
So it isn't that hard for me. I had already learned to live with social isolation.

Hugs to you all, over the Internet. Keep safe and stay away from other humans as much as possible. Separated we are stronger together. Yeah, I know, but that is how it is now.

Regards and love
Mikkel

Last edited:

Laika

Premium Member
...As I'm British, I guess I should mention the weather has been perfect whilst the outbreak has been on going. Very sunny, if still with a spring chill..

image0.png

PureX

Veteran Member
Monday 23rd March 2020. 7-8am.
For me, beyond feeling a bit more hungry than usual (which given the need to lose some weight isn't a bad thing) and knowing I can go out even less than usual, I have all but given up trying to self-regulate my internet usage. There is basically nothing to do than be online. I might lock myself out off for an hour or so, just to get my head clear, but that's about it. Maybe a new routine will emerge, but everything is literally on hold for now. My mental health has been extremely good so far. I've been surprised. I expect being stuck in the house will become frustrating over time, but so far- knowing that people are actually doing something about the coronavirus nationally and internationally, has been more reassuring. If we hold tight and sit this out, we might be one of the lucky ones.
This may be of little interest to you, but we are not locked in our homes. We can go out and walk around all we want, just not with each other.

I am now off work because of the virus, and need to keep physically active. I am hoping to walk through a nearby cemetery once or twice a day, weather permitting. I feel quite sure I will not make anyone there ill, nor they, me. :) Unfortunately, it's raining here, right now, or I would be out walking instead of typing.

Laika

Premium Member
This may be of little interest to you, but we are not locked in our homes. We can go out and walk around all we want, just not with each other.

We do have a beautiful garden behind our house. So that is going to be enough space to walk around and stretch my legs for a bit. I sat on the bench earlier this morning just to forget all the stuff that is going on. That was really pleasant. :)

currently, the farmer is ploughing the field behind the house. So I can hear the tractor going past my window. It really is beautiful weather, even if it is a bit chilly.

PureX

Veteran Member
We do have a beautiful garden behind our house. So that is going to be enough space to walk around and stretch my legs for a bit. I sat on the bench earlier this morning just to forget all the stuff that is going on. That was really pleasant. :)

currently, the farmer is ploughing the field behind the house. So I can hear the tractor going past my window. It really is beautiful weather, even if it is a bit chilly.
Spring where I live (along the Great Lakes) is very unpredictable. Warm usually means windy and wet, while sunny usually means cold. And sun is rare, regardless. Winds off the lakes are very cold, because the water is cold, while winds from the south can be quite warm, making for quick and extreme changes in weather. But still, I'll go out and walk as much as I can. And the cemetery is nice, if for no other reason than it's a reminder to be grateful to be alive, while surrounded by all those folks who aren't, anymore. Though I seem to wonder a lot about what their lives might have been like.

Laika

Premium Member
Tuesday 24th March, 6-7 am, (Day 1 of Lock-down)

Confirmed cases: 6,650. UK Deaths: 335. Cases in Lincolnshire: 20.

I slept well last night. I'm waking up slowly. I can hear the dawn chorus as the birds sing out of my window. A few of the birds peck at the bird feeder. Jess the cat is racing up and down the hallway next to my bedroom making much noise as she does so. There is the occasional rumble of cars going past.

Last night, our family sat together in the living room, each on the internet with our own devices (mum and dad on their own phones, me on my chrome book). Sort of bemused by the events of the day and the avalanche of news stories, I opened up the bag of prawn crackers we had stored in the kitchen and we shared those. About 7 pm I scrolled through reddit and say an article by the Daily Mail that Boris Johnson faced a cabinet revolt if he didn't introduce a lock-down. By 8:30 he gave his address. My mum plugged her phone in to the loud speakers and we listened. We missed maybe the first few lines. For a moment it was like listening to the radio in war time.

So here we are. Britain is in lock-down. Only three months ago we had a general election, when I walked (very reluctantly) up to the village hall as our polling station and cast my vote. Now Boris Johnson, a man who no doubt wanted to job of Prime minister for his entire life, got what he wanted. But, even I feel sorry for him because this is one heck of a lot of **** to deal with. Let's hope he can pull this off and we all get out of this one.

This is a lot to take in. I think I'm probably better prepared than most, having spent so long in the house over the past few years. For a very long time I could see some crisis or catastrophe on the horizon and I made my efforts to sit down, read and think about what I'd have to do with my life in the event it did happen (as seemed likely). Now it's here and I never could have predicted this. I never would have guessed we'd get so delusional that people would ignore warnings over a global pandemic and need the government to stop them going outside. but here we are. Nothing is ever going to be the same again and maybe that is for the best for all of us. We were going to have to move on from the decades of consumerism and hyper-capitalism eventually. Now is as good a time as any to make a start. That much I can grasp at the moment, but we will have to wait and see.

I guess I'm going to be spending even more time than usual in doors now. I better get used to it. :D

Last edited:

Laika

Premium Member
Tuesday 24th March, 9-10 am.

We have finished breakfast. It was eggs on toast for me dad, with tinned beans and sausage. My mum and I shared half a toasted bagel (with eggs, beans and sausage). I took my trip out for today just to walk up the road to post a letter in the letter box. Traffic is at least half as it usually is on the main road, and it's a lot easier to cross than normal. The house is especially quiet now there are so few cars going past.

Jedster

Hi @Laika
Good morning from Glastonbury, Somerset.
The whole place has pretty much closed down. Some cafes were serving take aways up until a couple of days ago. The Abbey has closed.
The weather is gorgeous and the cul-de sac I live in,is even more quiet than usual.
(I just googled cul-de sac and it said 'dead end' :>) )

I had avocado on toast for breakfast with a cup of Assam tea.

Laika

Premium Member
Hi @Laika
Good morning from Glastonbury, Somerset.
The whole place has pretty much closed down. Some cafes were serving take aways up until a couple of days ago. The Abbey has closed.
The weather is gorgeous and the cul-de sac I live in,is even more quiet than usual.
(I just googled cul-de sac and it said 'dead end' :>) )

I had avocado on toast for breakfast with a cup of Assam tea.

Thanks Jedster. I'm glad to hear the weather is nice down there. I've never had Avocado before so I hope it was a nice breakfast. :)

Jedster

Thanks Jedster. I'm glad to hear the weather is nice down there. I've never had Avocado before so I hope it was a nice breakfast. :)

Well, if you ever try avocado and find it somewhat bland, as I did at first , a small splattering of salt will reveal an amazing , yet subtle flavour.

:)

Laika

Premium Member
Wednesday 25th March, 9-10 am (Day 2 of lock down)

Confirmed Cases: 8,077
UK Deaths: 422
Cases in Lincolnshire: 24

I woke up about 6 am this morning. I run myself a bath and got clean. I tend to forget things like that if I spend too much time online. You get distracted and preoccupied with being online and the news.

We had breakfast (same as yesterday: eggs, toast, beans and sausage). mum and dad were both feeling depressed from the news. mum is particularly down as her hip and knee are playing up so she is in pain. Dad is also just feeling tired from doing odd jobs around the house. It's still very quiet and you can't hear much traffic. Our pet duck, daisy, now very elderly at 11 years old, qwacked her way through the morning- probably the only noise in the area beyond the bleating of the local sheep.

After breakfast, I went with dad to do some gardening. We widened a plot on the allotment so we can plant more for this year. The sheep in the field next door looking on bemused, whilst the lambs danced and played. Mainly it was digging up and removing turf. Dad was pleased as we got it done pretty quickly working together.

Mum has gone out to mablethorpe in search of food and provisions. She is back and unloading the stuff in the kitchen. She'll wash her hands when she's finished as she's come in, in a sec.

Yesterday, all of us got the text message from the government to stay in doors on each of our phones. I was very glad when my freind from University texted me, meaning he wasn't stuck in Italy or unwell- which is a relief. We will catch up later today on the phone. Hopefully, it will be good news but as he's been to Italy and lives in London we will have to see.

Jess the cat is- as always- fast asleep on my bed, utterly content and not phased by anything at all.

Last edited:

Laika

Premium Member
Thursday 26th March, 8-9 am, (Day 3 of Lock-Down)

Confirmed Cases: 9.529
UK Deaths: 422
Cases in Lincolnshire: 31

A very surreal sense of normality has descended on the house. Whilst there are enormous "storms" outside, they do not directly affect our own family (as of yet). We have been lucky so far and can experience coronavirus from a distance, watching events unfold on the news.

My friend didn't ring my last night. I am a little disappointed, but it isn't that unusual. It is probable there is so much going on that it was overlooked. There will be plenty of time to catch up later this week or next week.

My dad fixed one of the bicycles we have and tried it out. It's the first time it's been used for years, not since I tried to learn how to ride a bike a few years ago. Needless to say he's feeling a bit achy from peddling. Now the bicycle is fixed though and the roads are basically clear, it's possible we could use it to go up to the get the groceries if the car won't run.

Wondering on reddit yesterday, I saw an image a tweet from the minister of transport, giving a six-month extension for the MOT on motor vehicles. Ours was due, so my dad was relieved by that. Mum cancelled the Car service and so we will have to book it closer to September, depending on how things are going.

I have found reddit incredibly useful to track what is going on. There are now a series of sub-reddits following coronavirus news stories for different countries, such as the UK and the USA, as well as one related to asking for and giving support. Whilst I'd normally read the guardian, this does in fact provide a much greater range of new stories and personal experience of what it's like to be "elsewhere". Most of what is coming through is the psychological strain of the disruption and the fear of getting sick or others getting sick. It means experiencing a global event through the intimacy of first-hand accounts, with little or no media filter.

I don't have much plans for today. I will be online a fair amount, but the novelty has worn off somewhat. Getting back to a more "normal" schedule and using the routines I have had in the past may be better to cope with the next few days.

Here is some photos of my local area, places which I all recognise and have walked past, taken from a newspaper article, now that lock-down is in effect.
'It's made me quite emotional' - Skegness streets empty during lockdown

2_PHR_HMB_25032020SKEGCORONAVIRUSjpeg.jpg

1_PHR_HMB_25032020SKEGCORONAVIRUS_02jpeg.jpg

1_PHR_HMB_25032020SKEGCORONAVIRUS_03jpeg.jpg

Laika

Premium Member
Friday 27th March, 9-10 am. (Day 4 of Lock-Down)

Not much to report today. I've used the Internet heavily over the past few days so I may run out of memory on my current contract within the next week or so. I will be taking it easy internet wise and staying away from the madness for today at least.

Laika

Premium Member
Saturday 28th March, 8-9 pm. (Day 5 of lock-down)

Confirmed Cases: 17,089
UK Deaths: 1,019
Cases in Lincolnshire: 53

I was very glad to get a phone call from my friend in London today. He and his girlfriend had managed to safely get out of Italy on their holiday before the virus really got going. He is well and working from home.

I have spent most of today watching episodes on-and-off of "Luther" on BBC Iplayer. My parents are watching a DVD of Shakespeare's "The Tempest", which is rather loud and has much "well enunciated shouting".

My mum began baking flap jacks and sour dough bread yesterday, so the flapjacks are a welcome treat. I learned Boris Johnson has been infected with coronavirus just before lunch yesterday; we had some soup, home-made bread and flap jacks for afters.

My dad needed me to post a letter today, so I walked up to the post box. I counted 9 cars going past (in both directions). It was about 4 pm, which is normally one of the busiest times of day. Walking back to the house I caught the smell of the sheep from the fields opposition on the other side of the road.

Locally, four people have now died from Coronavirus. One of Thursday, three on Friday. That is the first news I have had of deaths in the area. So I don't know what to make of it just yet.
Coronavirus deaths in Lincolnshire rise to four

Based on what I have read online, I am deeply alarmed by what is happening in America. It seems like it may get out of control there very soon. It is a very real shame and a tragedy if that is indeed the case. But there is nothing that can be done about it, even if I wanted to. We will have to wait and see won't we?

Laika

Premium Member
Monday 30th March, 6-7 pm. (Day 7 of Lock-Down)

UK cases: 22,141
UK Deaths: 1,408
Cases in Lincolnshire: 78 (6 now confirmed dead)

The cravings have started. Whether its chocolate, jaffa cakes or cheesie toasties, being stuck in doors is now making it very hard not to focus on food. Cutting back on the internet has meant I've had to focus on other things and so far that hasn't been anything specific.

I am a member of reddit's ModelUSGov and have begun drafting some ideas for events for simulated elections. It feels very weird to deliberately post-pone things such as job-hunting, working on mental health and other stuff. But without a specific end date in sight, there isn't really that much of an alternative. Doing deeper research on various subjects may help me think more clearly in the long-run, but it is weird to have to invest in something in this way.

This morning I woke up and both my mum and my dad were coughing intermittently. It seems now to have worn off, but it was a moment of wondering if they did have corona-virus. In the week so far, I have sneezed, coughed, had a runny nose and slight temperature, but none of it has been anything beyond "normal" things that can be explained beyond hyper-vigilance and taking too much attention. Nothing has jumped out. So either I've had it with no symptoms, or haven't got it yet. I'm not planning on finding out anytime soon if I can avoid it.

Laika

Premium Member
Friday 3rd April, 10-11 am, (Day 11 of Lock-Down)

UK Confirmed cases: 33,718
UK deaths: 2,921
Cases in Lincolnshire: 153 (11 Deaths)

Today is the first day that, as a family, we each woke up wanting to do “something else” than be in doors.

Mum is currently preparing a curry and rice for lunch. I put the washing out and did my first bit of lawn mowing for dad in the garden.

The biggest direct impact of the pandemic and lockdown has been on food. We are having to use less bread as we can’t restock so easily and most of the meals are now vegetarian. We had a delicious chicken dish earlier in the week, but that is the only meat I’ve had in the past week or two. We are using tinned vegetables as fresh veggies are hard to come by.

We all seem to be coughing on and off, especially mum, but nothing serious so far.

Last edited: