• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coronavirus: Art depicting Romania's health workers as Christian saints slammed as 'blasphemous'

danieldemol

Premium Member
320x180_cmsv2_6c604f69-ed32-5e18-817f-d463ce160546-4684206.jpg

‘Artwork depicting health workers on the COVID-19 frontline as Christian saints has riled the Romanian Orthodox Church.

The controversial posters have been appearing across Bucharest and are part of a campaign to thank Romania's medical staff...

The posters have been removed from certain locations following a request of Bucharest City Hall to replace the drawings with something that “won’t offend the faith of passersby”.

The majority of Romanians are Christian Orthodox and the Church retains considerable influence over social and political life in the conservative country.’

Read more here: Beautiful or blasphemous? Art hailing COVID-19 workers divides Romania

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
I would call it imprudent rather than blasphemous. Blasphemy requires intent which I don't think was there in this case.

That said, it is not hard to understand why many Eastern Christians would draw offence at a secular parodying of a major component of their devotional culture. Icons are big deal in Eastern Christianity.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It does come across as being more tacky then offensive. I figure most people would just pass and roll their eyes.

Incidentally it looks like other religions were incorporated into the depiction. I already see Hindu, Pagan, and Buddhist imagery in addition to the Christian symbolism.

Trinity Stooge

.Ii¿⊙?!I.
But why does this artwork depict health workers as Christian saints, and not Christian saints as health workers? Whose responsibility is it to recognize the difference?

PureX

Veteran Member
I like the imagery because it invites an interesting ideological comparison. Which I suspect is why it was created.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
But why does this artwork depict health workers as Christian saints, and not Christian saints as health workers? Whose responsibility is it to recognize the difference?
I think it would have been better to go with the tried-and-true health workers are essentially regarded as being Angels of Mercy. Something that people already recognize well.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
:) No, Mother Shītalā does not smother anyone with a baseball bat. I see, she even has a contraption to collect the dust/dirt/disease, and probably some medicine in the cup in one hand. Clearer here:

01_sheetala_devi.jpg

Last edited: