• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coronavirus and New Zealand.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I thought I’d provide an update about New Zealand from a personal perspective for anyone whose interested.

We’re doing OK in New Zealand with our sixth case of coronavirus announced yesterday. There have been no fatalities as yet. Our government announced some unprecedented travel restrictions yesterday. Anyone travelling to New Zealand after midnight tonight has to self isolate for 14 days. That includes New Zealanders. The only exception is those travelling from a Pacific Island country. No cruise ships will be allowed to board in New Zealand from tonight until 30th June.

These measures are of course to slow the spread of the virus and help our health sector prepare for a probable outbreak. We’re still in the containment phase but we want to be proactive to prevent or slow the spread so we can more effectively respond to a likely crisis.

The announcement was made yesterday by our Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern but has the full support of the leader of the opposition. So its pleasing to see we are united in our respond to this global pandemic.

Some of you on this forum will know I work in the health sector as a GP. I’ll be taking steps to ensure that my practice is well placed to respond to potential cases of Covid-19. My wife works in tourism, with our city council and the cruise ship industry. She’s likely to finish her contract early with the tourism season coming to an abrupt end tomorrow. Schools remain open so hopefully our children won’t be affected.

Being a country that relies on tourism and international relationships we’re staring down the barrel of a sharp economic recession. Our government is looking at a range of measures to lessen the impact on the many businesses that will be affected.

Today is also the one year anniversary of the Mosque terrorist shootings where 51 Muslims were killed while gathering together in peace to worship. We had a National memorial service planned but its been cancelled along with many other activities to prevent the spread of the virus.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this. I just wanted to share.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the report, we can only wish for all people much strength of character in these difficult times to come. Austraila is starting to have an increase in cases, Sydney the hot spot and Brisbane ramping up.

My daughter will travel to Brisbane next week and return in two weeks. Thus we do know at some time the virus will also come to our remote location. We have many very vulnerable people here, many health issues and elderly.

All the best, Regards Tony

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for the report, we can only wish for all people much strength of character in these difficult times to come. Austraila is starting to have an increase in cases, Sydney the hot spot and Brisbane ramping up.

My daughter will travel to Brisbane next week and return in two weeks. Thus we do know at some time the virus will also come to our remote location. We have many very vulnerable people here, many health issues and elderly.

All the best, Regards Tony

Thanks Tony. It good to hear you are OK and how things are going across the ditch.

I looked at an update on the situation with Coronavirus in Australia.

More than 200 cases of the coronavirus have now been confirmed across Australia, and three people have died.

There are 112 cases in New South Wales, 36 in Victoria, 46 in Queensland, 19 in South Australia, 17 in Western Australia, five in Tasmania, one in the Northern Territory, and one in the ACT.

On Thursday afternoon there were 141 virus cases across Australia. That jumped to 200 by the same time on Friday – an increase of 41 per cent.

The PM introduced a ban on public gatherings of more than 500 people from Monday.

Prof Murphy said this was the easiest way to stop the spread of the virus. But if there were more community transmissions it could lead to more restrictions, such as schools and public transport closing.

Live coverage of Australia's coronavirus outbreak

I suspect many of us are on edge and this pandemic takes hold and spreads. Its a very concerning situation that looks likely to affect many of our lives in different ways.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thanks Tony. It good to hear you are OK and how things are going across the ditch.

I looked at an update on the situation with Coronavirus in Australia.

More than 200 cases of the coronavirus have now been confirmed across Australia, and three people have died.

There are 112 cases in New South Wales, 36 in Victoria, 46 in Queensland, 19 in South Australia, 17 in Western Australia, five in Tasmania, one in the Northern Territory, and one in the ACT.

On Thursday afternoon there were 141 virus cases across Australia. That jumped to 200 by the same time on Friday – an increase of 41 per cent.

The PM introduced a ban on public gatherings of more than 500 people from Monday.

Prof Murphy said this was the easiest way to stop the spread of the virus. But if there were more community transmissions it could lead to more restrictions, such as schools and public transport closing.

Live coverage of Australia's coronavirus outbreak

I suspect many of us are on edge and this pandemic takes hold and spreads. Its a very concerning situation that looks likely to affect many of our lives in different ways.

Yes it has very wide ramifications.

All the best to all in NZ from across the waters and land. :)

Daughter may get stuck in Brisbane.

Regards Tony

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Hopefully you guys go less crazy than the rest of the world. I was at a Middle Eastern specialty store today I frequent to pick up some fresh pitas they make two doors down, got talking to a guy who has family in Lebanon and he said starting tomorrow they are basically shutting everything down in Lebanon until further notice. I don't know if it's country wide or just in their area but it seems a little extreme.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Hopefully you guys go less crazy than the rest of the world. I was at a Middle Eastern specialty store today I frequent to pick up some fresh pitas they make two doors down, got talking to a guy who has family in Lebanon and he said starting tomorrow they are basically shutting everything down in Lebanon until further notice. I don't know if it's country wide or just in their area but it seems a little extreme.

It probably on a par with other countries similarly affected.

I found this item.

BEIRUT

The total number of coronavirus cases in Lebanon has risen to 93, the Lebanese Health Ministry said on Saturday.

In a statement, the ministry called on citizens to "adhere to the strict measures issued by the official references and to stay at home except when absolutely necessary".

The country has reported three deaths from the virus so far.

Lebanon's coronavirus cases rise to 93

Perhaps with the rapid escalation we’ve seen in countries like China and Italy, governments are taking it a lot more seriously than a week ago.