• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corona Virus

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Why has the USA (trump) not banned the import of the Chinese Corona virus?
Or at least put a stringent tariff on it?
After all he has banned Huawei products and grounded all Chinese Drones in the USA.
When it comes to China, His paranoia knows no bounds, and seems to be equally infectious amongst republicans.
I expect him to declare it biological warfare very soon.

Well, is it?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
After all he has banned Huawei products and grounded all Chinese Drones in the USA.
When it comes to China, His paranoia knows no bounds, and seems to be equally infectious amongst republicans.

Well, is it?

A very well considered and appreciate post

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Well, is it?
If anyone wanted to import the virus (it's already here anyway)
with wrongful intent, I doubt that a government ban would dissuade
them. So a ban would be not just useless, it would be silly. So this
is good reason to not ban it.
As for Chinese computer technology, there is a real risk that some
malicious code could be embedded, given the tremendous complexity
of such products. So is it really paranoia...or is it reasonable?
I don't know. Could you make a case for it being mere paranoia?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
of such products.
So is it really paranoia...or is it reasonable?

Surely Americans wouldn't accept others as being more clever than they are? Or is that the basis for so much American insecurity?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Considering Microsoft is far more dominant i would suggest looking there too

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Well, is it?

Well, he also hasn't called for building a wall between the United States and China.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic

The USA, UK, China and just about any other country and individual are perfectly capable of placing malicious code into our infrastructures. that is, who ever makes the hardware, or writes the original code. So, keeping out hardware is pretty pointless.

The UK security service maintains a massive hi tech security and communications facility in Cheltenham. who are perfectly capable of doing this sort of thing and most probably do. they are equally capable of countering such endeavours.

However there is no evidence that China has done any such thing, while there is evidence that the USA has been engaged in such work. especially in regard to spying on their own population.

To restrict High tech trade just because of a possibility is counter productive.

All the major technology companies employ people of every nationality and political persuasion in research and development, and where there are people, there is always the possibility of corruption.
there are far easier and more covert ways to introduce malicious code than during the manufacturing process.

Such code is probably already in place in american core facilities, both active or awaiting awaking.
Some of it may even be Chinese. though Russia and the western nations including the USA seems to be more active in this field

The paranoia is in supposing China is "out to get you" when it has never, in all its long history, shown any interest in conquest. rather it has shown unlimited concern for looking after and defending its own interests and territory.

I would not blame it in the least if it were to defend those interest using technology.

Europe as a whole sees great benefit in partnering with China in research and development, and trade in general. It is perfectly aware of potential dangers. the greatest of which is to be come dependant. A fact we have found out to our cost, in the dependence we have on American companies like Google. Who only trade with us with the permission of the US government, which is already using such power to coerce us into doing its bidding.

In this regard the USA has proved to be more dangerous than China over recent years.

I saw a report today that quotes Huawei as saying they have decided not to rely on Google tools any longer and continue to develop it own support for open Android. they have put 3000 developers on to doing just that. (though it will continue to develop its own harmony operating system as well)

Huawei is done with Google for good

Google will regret such a massive lost to its trade with the second largest Phone maker in the world. Huawie is inevitably going to become a competitor rather than a customer. especially though out Asia the middle east and Africa. all major growth areas.
It is already the major supplier of telecoms equipment in the world. Even though it is lock out of the USA as a market. the UK government has confirmed that It will continue to supply the UK with over 35% of its 5G equipment. Tt will only be banned in proximity to high security areas.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The OP struck me as a humor thread in the wrong place. But there's no wrong place on RF for a tussle (as it is called when dogs play tug of war). In this case the toy is a debatable item and the 'tug' is verbal instead of physical but it's really the same thing on a different level.

(Well, to be more accurate canine tug of war can easily be accompanied by growling).

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Could be worthwhile.
But wouldn't a Chinese company pose the much greater risk?

Why?

But now that the USA is giving them no other choice but to further develop their own operating systems and support programs. they will obviously become greater world competitors.

How many Chinese programmers and researchers work for American universities and giants like Microsoft.

It would probably be the best policy not to antagonise them any further. Or American software will become leaky as sieves.

The American security services do not even tell Microsoft when they find back doors... As when the failed to report that they had found the one used by wanna cry ransomware.

exchemist

Veteran Member
On the Chinese IT issue there is another possible explanation, namely that Trumps' administration wants to scare governments into not using Huawei kit, in order to prevent China becoming a strong IT competitor to the USA (America First, and all that.) Trump has form for faking security scares in support of his trade agenda, cf. steel.

It seems the UK security services do not buy the Trump argument. They have experience of Huawei stuff and seem to think they can manage the risk. Pompeo seems to have conceded the point, which makes the argument look like a try-on rather than a genuine concern.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Why?

But now that the USA is giving them no other choice but to further develop their own operating systems and support programs. they will obviously become greater world competitors.

How many Chinese programmers and researchers work for American universities and giants like Microsoft.

It would probably be the best policy not to antagonise them any further. Or American software will become leaky as sieves.

The American security services do not even tell Microsoft when they find back doors... As when the failed to report that they had found the one used by wanna cry ransomware.
I can't give detailed answers to your questions.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
On the Chinese IT issue there is another possible explanation, namely that Trumps' administration wants to scare governments into not using Huawei kit, in order to prevent China becoming a strong IT competitor to the USA (America First, and all that.) Trump has form for faking security scares in support of his trade agenda, cf. steel.

It seems the UK security services do not buy the Trump argument. They have experience of Huawei stuff and seem to think they can manage the risk. Pompeo seems to have conceded the point, which makes the argument look like a try-on rather than a genuine concern.
I'm not familiar enuf to say more than I have.
But I do see an advantage in being less dependent
upon hostile foreign sources for critical technology.
As for potential nefarious Trump motives, I can't
speak to that.

Audie

Veteran Member

Well, is it?

That is as over the top as anything you think T is
saying or doing, but-
I do not think it wise or good at all, that he has
been arousing anti Chinese feelings.

This virus is in itself doing that, all around the
world. I nope none of our RFers would go so low.