• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corona virus impact on China's production

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The headline is misleading and sensational, but the information in the story is not.

‘Like Europe in Medieval Times’: Virus Slows China’s Economy

Workers can’t return to their jobs as supply lines get snarled, extending the forced holiday and fracturing the country.
More than two weeks after China locked down a major city to stop a dangerous viral outbreak, one of the world’s largest economies remains largely idle. Much of the country was supposed to have reopened by now, but its empty streets, quiet factories and legions of inactive workers suggest that weeks or months could pass before this vital motor of global growth is humming again.

The global economy could suffer the longer China stays in low gear. It has been hampered by both the outbreak and its own containment efforts, a process that has cut off workers from their jobs and factories from their raw materials. The result is a slowdown that is already slashing traffic along the world’s shipping lines and leading to forecasts of a sharp fall in production of everything from cars to smartphones.
Major companies said their factories remained closed or were running slower than usual. Ford Motor said that its joint venture with one of China’s biggest state-owned firms was restarting some production, but that it would “ramp up our production over the following weeks.”

General Motors said that it would reopen the first of its huge assembly plants in China only on Saturday, and would gradually reopen the rest over the following two weeks, “based on local employees’ safety readiness, supply chain readiness and product inventory needs.”
The municipal government in Shanghai, home to more than 20 million people and a vast array of businesses, said that only 70 percent of the city’s manufacturers were taking steps to resume production. Few have actually received permission to do so.

Businesses “want to protect staff, but also nobody wants to get caught offsides when it comes to the labor law or the daily announcements from the government,” said Ker Gibbs, the president of the American Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai.

It is not yet clear how the ripples from China’s slowdown will affect the United States. Businesses that rely on assembling a lot of different parts from various suppliers could become the hardest hit. At the top of that list is the auto industry — a single car may require as many as 30,000 parts from various suppliers.

Audie

Veteran Member
The headline is misleading and sensational, but the information in the story is not.

Workers can’t return to their jobs as supply lines get snarled, extending the forced holiday and fracturing the country.
More than two weeks after China locked down a major city to stop a dangerous viral outbreak, one of the world’s largest economies remains largely idle. Much of the country was supposed to have reopened by now, but its empty streets, quiet factories and legions of inactive workers suggest that weeks or months could pass before this vital motor of global growth is humming again.

The global economy could suffer the longer China stays in low gear. It has been hampered by both the outbreak and its own containment efforts, a process that has cut off workers from their jobs and factories from their raw materials. The result is a slowdown that is already slashing traffic along the world’s shipping lines and leading to forecasts of a sharp fall in production of everything from cars to smartphones.
Major companies said their factories remained closed or were running slower than usual. Ford Motor said that its joint venture with one of China’s biggest state-owned firms was restarting some production, but that it would “ramp up our production over the following weeks.”

General Motors said that it would reopen the first of its huge assembly plants in China only on Saturday, and would gradually reopen the rest over the following two weeks, “based on local employees’ safety readiness, supply chain readiness and product inventory needs.”
The municipal government in Shanghai, home to more than 20 million people and a vast array of businesses, said that only 70 percent of the city’s manufacturers were taking steps to resume production. Few have actually received permission to do so.

Businesses “want to protect staff, but also nobody wants to get caught offsides when it comes to the labor law or the daily announcements from the government,” said Ker Gibbs, the president of the American Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai.

It is not yet clear how the ripples from China’s slowdown will affect the United States. Businesses that rely on assembling a lot of different parts from various suppliers could become the hardest hit. At the top of that list is the auto industry — a single car may require as many as 30,000 parts from various suppliers.

It is bad here. Stress is why I am up in the middle of the night.

All the schools and universities are closed. Store shelves
are empty.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

are empty.
Good luck Audie.

Listen, if the stores by you arent viable anymore, try hitting vitamin shops or fitness clubs where you might still be able to pick up things like powdered protein or energy bars.

These options arent something people tend to think of right away.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Good luck Audie.

Listen, if the stores by you arent viable anymore, try hitting vitamin shops or fitness clubs where you might still be able to pick up things like powdered protein or energy bars.

These options arent something people tend to think of right away.

Sorry, that was insensitive. I realized after I posted that that these places are most likely closed around you.

May be an option later though.

Dave Watchman

are empty.

I'm sorry to hear that you're over there Audie.

I've been trying to find out as much as I can about it.

There's a thread over at GLP that's got to 2600 pages, 3,918,879 views.

C-Virus:PANDEMIC ?/9400 MONITORED INDIA P2507/TESTING+100 FRANCE P2529/ PYONGYANG P2635/FUTURE SPREAD MAP BASED ON DATA ?!? P2637/UPDATE P2638 - Page 2557

It's the twitter links that I find fascinating.

EQXQyjFXsAA2wnI

It seems like real news, boots on the ground.

So sad about Dr. Li.

He looks so young at 34.

Why do you think it's mainly happening in China?

Why doesn't the CV spread around the rest of the world?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

are empty.

Best of luck

I have a friend visiting parents in HK, not due to return to the UK until next month. He is scared and enquired about an early flight. He flies home on Saturday.

Audie

Veteran Member
I'm sorry to hear that you're over there Audie.

I've been trying to find out as much as I can about it.

There's a thread over at GLP that's got to 2600 pages, 3,918,879 views.

C-Virus:PANDEMIC ?/9400 MONITORED INDIA P2507/TESTING+100 FRANCE P2529/ PYONGYANG P2635/FUTURE SPREAD MAP BASED ON DATA ?!? P2637/UPDATE P2638 - Page 2557

It's the twitter links that I find fascinating.

EQXQyjFXsAA2wnI

It seems like real news, boots on the ground.

So sad about Dr. Li.

He looks so young at 34.

Why do you think it's mainly happening in China?

Why doesn't the CV spread around the rest of the world?

Its my home here, I am fine though it is hardly ideal.

It has spread, tho people are trying hard to limit it.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I recall reading a few days ago that some people who were afflicted by the virus are starting to recover, so there may be some glimmers of light at the end of this long tunnel.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

Dave Watchman

No, it's not clear yet.

But if it affects the United States, it could be THE Black Swan event that has an impact on the world.

And i wouldn't worry about the individual companies like Kia or Hyundai. They could go BK and become a part of history.

I worry about a dollar collapse if the PBOC can no longer buy our ten year treasury notes.

They've already caused copper to fall by declaring force majeure on African contracts

Watch this video to get a handle on the mechanisms involved.

You can start it at around 8:56.

And then watch this page:

I think it updates at around 6 PM EST.

Scroll down and watch those bar graphs.

They better start running out of gas and taking a downturn pretty soon.

Or we're all gonna be screwed.

This looks like a spooky deal.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
No, it's not clear yet.

But if it affects the United States, it could be THE Black Swan event that has an impact on the world.

And i wouldn't worry about the individual companies like Kia or Hyundai. They could go BK and become a part of history.

I worry about a dollar collapse if the PBOC can no longer buy our ten year treasury notes.

They've already caused copper to fall by declaring force majeure on African contracts

Watch this video to get a handle on the mechanisms involved.

You can start it at around 8:56.

And then watch this page:

I think it updates at around 6 PM EST.

Scroll down and watch those bar graphs.

They better start running out of gas and taking a downturn pretty soon.

Or we're all gonna be screwed.

This looks like a spooky deal.
Fore warned is fore armed. There are things we can start doing now that will at least make things easier down the road.

Stocking up on food and other necessities, picking up or putting together a monster first aide kit (hospitals in some of the worst infected areas are already turning away all but the most seriously sick or the injured), learning first aide ( YouTube) and keeping a handbook (recommend an EMT training text), networking with your neighbors before hand, stocking up on water filtration/ purification equipment and having an emergency or alternative power source or two . . .

Going to try and make another thread about all this.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member

are empty.
It may not be much, but I am hoping the best for you and the whole of China. We are all on this boat together.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Fore warned is fore armed. There are things we can start doing now that will at least make things easier down the road.

Stocking up on food and other necessities, picking up or putting together a monster first aide kit (hospitals in some of the worst infected areas are already turning away all but the most seriously sick or the injured), learning first aide ( YouTube) and keeping a handbook (recommend an EMT training text), networking with your neighbors before hand, stocking up on water filtration/ purification equipment and having an emergency or alternative power source or two . . .

Going to try and make another thread about all this.
Ok. So now I am paying more attention.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
In case any want to have another source of tracking what is going on, confirmed cases etc are listed here Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS

Of course note "confirmed cases". My understanding is that it's impossible to test everyone who might have it so the real number of cases is assumed to be much,much greater.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

are empty.

Stay safe. I hope you all make it through the other end of the tunnel safely over there.