• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cornel West announces 2024 run for president as People’s Party candidate

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Progressive activist Cornel West announced his 2024 campaign for president with the People’s Party on Monday

“I have decided to run for truth and justice, which takes the form of running for President of the United States as a candidate for the People’s Party,” West said in a video announcement on Twitter launching the third-party presidential bid.

“I enter in the quest for truth, I enter in the quest for justice, and the presidency is just one vehicle to pursue that truth and justice — what I’ve been trying to do all of my life.”

West, a philosophy professor and longtime vocal progressive advocate, said his campaign would focus on health care, living wages, housing, reproductive rights and “deescalating the destruction of the planet, the destruction of American democracy.”

In the campaign video, West included a clip in which he referred to President Biden as a “milquetoast neoliberal” and referred to former President Trump as a “neofascist.” He explained his decision to run as a third-party candidate, saying, “neither political party wants to tell the truth about Wall Street, about Ukraine, about the Pentagon, about big tech.”

“Do we have what it takes? We shall see. But some of us are going to go down fighting, go down swinging, with style and a smile,” he said.

Some might say he doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of winning, but I do like what he stands for. I don't even know if any People's Party candidates will even be on the ballot.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Some might say he doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of winning, but I do like what he stands for. I don't even know if any People's Party candidates will even be on the ballot.

I'll vote for him

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I think diverse opinions and discussions is good in and of itself. I don't know enough about this guy to comment further.

I do wish the US system didn't present the risk of a somewhat successful third party candidate splitting votes from one of the main parties though. Oh well!!

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Why? This is the first time I've ever heard of him, so I have no opinion about his platform. I'm curious what makes you think he would be bad.

Well, from certain points of view, West might be viewed as a "commie." Though his platform could be largely described as progressive. Cornel West for President

1686022000007.png

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, from certain points of view, West might be viewed as a "commie." Though his platform could be largely described as progressive. Cornel West for President

View attachment 78332

Some of these seem unrealistic and would probably be detrimental to the safety of the US and some of its allies (e.g., closing all military bases and disbanding NATO), and I'm also not sure how he would "break up Big Tech" (or what he means by "Big Tech" in the first place).

I definitely agree with a lot of the other general goals, though, especially free health care and avoidance of unnecessary wars.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Kind of supports my views there are Marxists vying for, and holding, positions in government.

Granted he's more open and honest, and running on the People's Party as opposed to attempting shadow running as a Democrat.

I agree however about the snowballs chance of winning.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Some of these seem unrealistic and would probably be detrimental to the safety of the US and some of its allies (e.g., closing all military bases and disbanding NATO), and I'm also not sure how he would "break up Big Tech" (or what he means by "Big Tech" in the first place).

I definitely agree with a lot of the other general goals, though, especially free health care and avoidance of unnecessary wars.

I would interpret closing the bases as more of a long-term goal, not necessarily something that would be done in one fell swoop. It would be more a matter of identifying what is detrimental to our safety and security interests, and reducing the tensions and the various issues and reasons that people have for fighting each other.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
"End the Wars".
I think Americans should start enjoying life and have sex more.
Instead of being obsessed with wars in countries they have never heard of, before.
What are wars for?

I can concede that there are times when war may be unavoidable, although much of it is not so much about the fighting of wars, but the notion that we can or should control the affairs of other nations. An example of what I mean might be Afghanistan. For all intents and purposes, we won the war, but it didn't really mean much in the long run, because we could never really control them.

Heyo

Veteran Member

He will be accused of helping the pubs by drawing votes away from the dems.
I hope there will also be a popular candidate on the right, independent or with a fourth party to even the playing field.