• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cops Vs Non-Neurotypicals

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Cops get little or no training in dealing with people who aren't
neurotypical or otherwise typical adults....
- Autism
- Dementia
- PTSD
- Deaf
- Aphonia
- Children
- Psychosis
They often interpret associated behavior with rudeness,
un-cooperation, disobeying orders, & suspicious behavior.

This case has been bouncing around the internet on different
channels for awhile now. But this video gives the latest update on
what happened, thorough legal analysis, police corruption/fraud, &
finally criminal prosecution of the cops, & $3,000,000 paid to the
5' tall, 80 pound, elderly woman they assaulted, joked about, &
tried to cover up.
This channel, Audit The Audit, is one of the more useful ones.
It's worth watching entirely (unlike many).

Additional details from the Lack Luster channel....

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
This channel, Audit The Audit, is one of the more useful ones.
It's worth watching entirely (unlike many).
I think you need to work on making that case that problems like these are everywhere, that none of us are safe. It sounds to me like these are problems that only happen in particularly bad places and won't affect me and that will sort themselves out long before I can make any difference.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think you need to work on making that case that problems like these are everywhere, that none of us are safe. It sounds to me like these are problems that only happen in particularly bad places and won't affect me and that will sort themselves out long before I can make any difference.
They happen everywhere. Peruse youtube videos, & you find
that no place is immune....south...southwest....west...east...midwest.
Even Canuckistan has bad cops. No one is safe...white, black,
Asian, etc. Only cops are safe from other cops. We observe in
video after video that they get special treatment.

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member
With so many cameras the police can't get away with 'shoot first, ask questions second' as they used to.

There needs to be serious reform and more expertise in the field.

The dilemma is that many poor communities can't afford mental health for family members, and politicians eager to cut social programs, so these vulnerable people end up face to face with police and can end up in jail, or dead.

If we don't invest in society it will continue to be survival of the fittest with the poor not being "fit" enough to survive police encounters.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
With so many cameras the police can't get away with 'shoot first, ask questions second' as they used to.

There needs to be serious reform and more expertise in the field.

The dilemma is that many poor communities can't afford mental health for family members, and politicians eager to cut social programs, so these vulnerable people end up face to face with police and can end up in jail, or dead.

If we don't invest in society it will continue to be survival of the fittest with the poor not being "fit" enough to survive police encounters.
We can turn police jobs back into cleanup jobs and stop demanding that they protect. 'Serve and protect' is a lot of responsibility. Maybe have two branches of police. One branch will serve and will be social workers, detectives technicians and janitors, and the other will protect them while they do their work. Right now every police person has to be all of the above, and they apparently cannot handle it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I've been harassed by the cops who thought I was intoxicated because of how I talk (I have Asperger's).
The truth is the mentally ill are the most butchered and harassed demograph when it comes to police abuse. They are 25x more likely to be killed by police. Typical case someone has a melt down, someone calls the cops, the melt down is calmed, piggly-wiggly shows up expecting conflict, piggly-wiggly reescalates the situation, piggly-wiggly shoots dead someone who is mentally ill.
Do some research. The police are a threat to public safety, and many do believe we are at war against them (it's called warrior training). They believe America is a "warzone" (a sheriff in tiny *** Winimac Indiana does think this) and militarize and and acquire war machines to use against is. Most states do not prohibit cops from having sex with those they've detained, and roadside rape is also real problem (yes, also, these are two separate issues and one is illegal and happens anyways). And because cops don't know the law they make mistakes, but the worst kind of mistakes that are built on 100% certainty in that you are right and there's no way the other can be right.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

I've never had a cop get violent with me. I've had an officer make advances towards me, though.

My biggest issue was failure to protect... when my life was threatened, I was told it was my own fault for not living in a better neighborhood(I invited the officer to pay my rent elsewhere; they decline).

We can turn police jobs back into cleanup jobs and stop demanding that they protect. 'Serve and protect' is a lot of responsibility. Maybe have two branches of police. One branch will serve and will be social workers, detectives technicians and janitors, and the other will protect them while they do their work. Right now every police person has to be all of the above, and they apparently cannot handle it.

I think it would be nice if officers had to be nominated for the job. Like they could express interest, but unless so many people could vouch for their good character, they wouldn't be able to become a cop. Too many who are bullies or are on an ego trip are attracted to the job.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Not so. Witness the woman cop who tried to deescalate a situation and had the male cop grab her by the throat.
Generally, cops are safe. In video after video, cops pulled
over for DUI are treated with great deference compared to
civilians.
But I agree that cops are not so safe when they call other
cops on illegal behavior. Going against the Blue Wall can
get you choked (as we see) or even killed.
In that case, the shooter didn't know the victim was a cop.
What it does show is that cops tend to shoot civilians first,
& ask avoid questions later.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Generally, cops are safe. In video after video, cops pulled
over for DUI are treated with great deference compared to
civilians.
But I agree that cops are not so safe when they call other
cops on illegal behavior. Going against the Blue Wall can
get you choked (as we see) or even killed.

In that case, the shooter didn't know the victim was a cop.
What it does show is that cops tend to shoot civilians first,
& ask avoid questions later.

Yes. Your first post was too black/white for my taste but this one I agree with.

We Never Know

No Slack
I've never had a cop get violent with me. I've had an officer make advances towards me, though.

My biggest issue was failure to protect... when my life was threatened, I was told it was my own fault for not living in a better neighborhood(I invited the officer to pay my rent elsewhere; they decline).

I think it would be nice if officers had to be nominated for the job. Like they could express interest, but unless so many people could vouch for their good character, they wouldn't be able to become a cop. Too many who are bullies or are on an ego trip are attracted to the job.

The federal court ruled..

Police Have No Duty to Protect You, Federal Court Affirms Yet Again | Ryan McMaken

“Neither the Constitution, nor state law, impose a general duty upon police officers or other governmental officials to protect individual persons from harm — even when they know the harm will occur,” said Darren L. Hutchinson, a professor and associate dean at the University of Florida School of Law. “Police can watch someone attack you, refuse to intervene and not violate the Constitution.”

The Supreme Court has repeatedly held that the government has only a duty to protect persons who are “in custody,” he pointed out."

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
The federal court ruled..

Police Have No Duty to Protect You, Federal Court Affirms Yet Again | Ryan McMaken

“Neither the Constitution, nor state law, impose a general duty upon police officers or other governmental officials to protect individual persons from harm — even when they know the harm will occur,” said Darren L. Hutchinson, a professor and associate dean at the University of Florida School of Law. “Police can watch someone attack you, refuse to intervene and not violate the Constitution.”

The Supreme Court has repeatedly held that the government has only a duty to protect persons who are “in custody,” he pointed out."

Well, what good are they, then? Just giving people tickets?

If they have no duty to protect and serve, we're better off without them, in my opinion.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Sometimes I think they should complety shut down for a month or so and then see how many want them back.

Functioning as they should(protect and serve), they're a valuable asset to a community. However, if it were to come down to watching folks getting attacked and doing nothing... well, honestly, what is the point after that? If they don't have to protect civilians, what is their purpose?

I owe my life to a cop. One that did protect and serve. If he hadn't, I wouldn't be conversing with you right now.

We Never Know

No Slack
Functioning as they should(protect and serve), they're a valuable asset to a community. However, if it were to come down to watching folks getting attacked and doing nothing... well, honestly, what is the point after that? If they don't have to protect civilians, what is their purpose?

I owe my life to a cop. One that did protect and serve. If he hadn't, I wouldn't be conversing with you right now.

Thats just it, they don't have to protect but choose to do so, even putting their life on the line some times.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, what good are they, then? Just giving people tickets?

If they have no duty to protect and serve, we're better off without them, in my opinion.
They can be useful, eg, vehicle accident assistance.
Dealing with real crimes (by others). Pulling over
drunk drivers is one very useful task.
But protection is up to the individual, who should take
measures to be safe.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Thats just it, they don't have to protect but choose to do so, even putting their life on the line some times.

Some do. I dealt with 3 officers that night. One cared. Two didn't.

The one that cared was a Bosnian refugee. At one point he lost his temper, kicked something, and said the US reminds him of Bosnia all over again. For him, the situation was personal, as he'd lived in how ugly it could be.

They can be useful, eg, vehicle accident assistance.
Dealing with real crimes (by others).
But protection is up to the individual, who should take
measures to be safe.

It can be hard to protect oneself. People break in. They come armed. If you can have a dog, that can help deter, but not everyone(renters) have that privilege.

Anything to elaborate on?

In our situation, we were assaulted while in our yard by young gang members. We of course, called the police, and a somewhat stoic(the Bosnian man I mention) showed up. We told him what happened, and I begged him to stay with us, having grown up in the city and having enough knowledge of gang junk to be sure they would return, with weapons(they'd left a bottle of gin in the yard, with a gang hat tipped on it). He ignored me. We gave a report, and he left us on our own.

They came back with guns. Stuck guns in the face of our roommate, and the residents on the other side of the duplex. I called the police. Lights flashed within, apparently, two minutes. Men ran off.

My husband yelled at the cop for not staying with us. The officer blew up and stated "I knew you were right! I knew it! I wanted to stay, but my superior wouldn't let me! I've been sitting at the gas station(two blocks) away, waiting for this!" (and that's where he made his statements regarding Bosnia).

If he'd have taken any longer than he did, I'm certain at least one, if not more of us would have been shot.