• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cop vs Child

nPeace

Veteran Member
Corporal punishment is bad!
images

Parents are not allowed to spank their children - not even with a finger.

This is how we teach them not to fight argue quarrel, or get involved in another person's fight, whether to part them, or whatever.... or steal candy bars, and other things not mentioned here.

What? You are only 12, and you're fighting?
Bram! Take that. That will teach you not to fight, and walk when ordered to.

What? Quarreling? ...and only 12?
Bram! Take that. That will teach you not to quarrel.

What? 15... and you want to step in other people's fight. I don't care if you were parting the fight or not.
Bram! Take that. That will teach you stay out of fights, and don't give me no lip.

What? Stealing candy bars at 14?
Bram! Take that. That will teach you not steal, and keep still when adults are talking to you.

...especially when they wear a blue uniform.... and reside in the USA.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Corporal punishment is bad!
images

Parents are not allowed to spank their children - not even with a finger.

This is how we teach them not to fight argue quarrel, or get involved in another person's fight, whether to part them, or whatever.... or steal candy bars, and other things not mentioned here.

What? You are only 12, and you're fighting?
Bram! Take that. That will teach you not to fight, and walk when ordered to.

What? Quarreling? ...and only 12?
Bram! Take that. That will teach you not to quarrel.

What? 15... and you want to step in other people's fight. I don't care if you were parting the fight or not.
Bram! Take that. That will teach you stay out of fights, and don't give me no lip.

What? Stealing candy bars at 14?
Bram! Take that. That will teach you not steal, and keep still when adults are talking to you.

Good thing he was fired.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

Authority corrupts people. That is why we see small weedy people in positions of authority become immovable monsters. They have no power in their lives, but the little bit they exercise in their job description, and they exercise it to the max.....what pathetic excuses they are for human beings. Put that person in a uniform with a weapon and watch out for the stray bullets. :rolleyes:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
We are a species that has a Corporal pecking order.

Spanking children isn't abuse if it's controlled and below a certain threshold.

Everything and I mean everything in society is backed by threats and implementation of violence for non-compliance and whatnot.

Spanking is a survival tool to teach children at a young age that there will always be physical consequences for their actions if talking and reasoning does not work.

It's the reason why I think Society has gotten to where it has. People are emboldend because they feel that there are no consequences.

The problem with some police officers is that there is a lack of consequences for irresponsible actions but there are more instances where officers are being rightfully disciplined now then there was in the past.

People just need to know and learn where the lines are , and whether they wish to cross them or not accepting whatever consequences they may carry.

Put a badge and a gun in the hands of an embolden person and you're going to have trouble

nPeace

Veteran Member
Authority corrupts people. That is why we see small weedy people in positions of authority become immovable monsters. They have no power in their lives, but the little bit they exercise in their job description, and they exercise it to the max.....what pathetic excuses they are for human beings. Put that person in a uniform with a weapon and watch out for the stray bullets. :rolleyes:
You are right. Some of these cops have such an ego, don't dare bruise it.

It makes me wonder sometimes, if these cops were beat up at school, and decided to become cops... or maybe they were rebels. A number of rebels from my school became police officers.

nPeace

Veteran Member
We are a species that has a Corporal pecking order.

Spanking children isn't abuse if it's controlled and below a certain threshold.

Everything and I mean everything in society is backed by threats and implementation of violence for non-compliance and whatnot.

Spanking is a survival tool to teach children at a young age that there will always be physical consequences for their actions if talking and reasoning does not work.

It's the reason why I think Society has gotten to where it has. People are emboldend because they feel that there are no consequences.

The problem with some police officers is that there is a lack of consequences for irresponsible actions but there are more instances where officers are being rightfully disciplined now then there was in the past.

People just need to know and learn where the lines are , and whether they wish to cross them or not accepting whatever consequences they may carry.

Put a badge and a gun in the hands of an embolden person and you're going to have trouble
Very true.
I have seen people go berserk on a child, rather than just discipline them. Some people seem out of control.
So it seems most people are either at one extreme or another - don't know where to find the balance.
It's really bad in the US though.
It's no wonder the amount of young people in prison for murder is so high, imo.

nPeace

Veteran Member
What do you want done?
Do you mean what I want done to the cops?
I let the state decide, but they put juveniles in correction centers to teach them. I think some of these cops are juveniles, and a few lessons won't hurt them.
Actually, one learns best when they are in someone else's shoes. So maybe being in certain shoes would help them deal with people better.
Maybe they never learned this while. growing up.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Evidence seems to show that physical punishment of children does not work, often just makes children more deceptive, and might justify future behaviour - as in doing the same to others. I think it depends upon the individual - as in, those most likely to use such will not have other means of deterring the behaviour they wish to deter and/or will not have thought of the consequences.

I had lots of this at school - caning of hands and bottom, smacked with slipper, etc. - but it had little effect on my behaviour apparently, and I just accepted this as part of the process within schools. On the other hand, my mother (and father) did not use such at all and seemingly order was maintained within our house - perhaps because I respected and loved my mother. Why not try to instill that into children.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Evidence seems to show that physical punishment of children does not work, often just makes children more deceptive, and might justify future behaviour - as in doing the same to others. I think it depends upon the individual - as in, those most likely to use such will not have other means of deterring the behaviour they wish to deter and/or will not have thought of the consequences.

I had lots of this at school - caning of hands and bottom, smacked with slipper, etc. - but it had little effect on my behaviour apparently, and I just accepted this as part of the process within schools. On the other hand, my mother (and father) did not use such at all and seemingly order was maintained within our house - perhaps because I respected and loved my mother. Why not try to instill that into children.
Physical punishment? Do you mean like a tap with the palm of your hand, or a vicious blow with a 2x4?

There are various levels of force in physics.
For example, when playing pools, or billboards, a skilled player knows that they cannot hit each ball with the same amount of force.
The purpose is to accomplish a particular goal.
This works well in all situations - including discipline. Since this is a principle, no amount of "evidence" to the contrary can overturn it.

Many people will verify, that it is not the discipline itself, but the method of disciple, or the way the discipline is administered, that is important.
That's why we have the phrase, excessive force. That means it is not necessary, appropriate, beneficial.

We know that if we want to train a tree to grow in a particular way, we can't wait until late, We start when the tree is young. I think this is where most people make the mistake.
Parents also act only when they get angry or frustrated. That's not discipline,
So I think most people don't really understand what discipline is, or how or when to administer it.
That's why the evidence shows what it does - that physical punishment (I prefer discipline) doesn't work... because it's not done right in the first place, so the results are terrible.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Physical punishment? Do you mean like a tap with the palm of your hand, or a vicious blow with a 2x4?

There are various levels of force in physics.
For example, when playing pools, or billboards, a skilled player knows that they cannot hit each ball with the same amount of force.
The purpose is to accomplish a particular goal.
This works well in all situations - including discipline. Since this is a principle, no amount of "evidence" to the contrary can overturn it.

Many people will verify, that it is not the discipline itself, but the method of disciple, or the way the discipline is administered, that is important.
That's why we have the phrase, excessive force. That means it is not necessary, appropriate, beneficial.

We know that if we want to train a tree to grow in a particular way, we can't wait until late, We start when the tree is young. I think this is where most people make the mistake.
Parents also act only when they get angry or frustrated. That's not discipline,
So I think most people don't really understand what discipline is, or how or when to administer it.
That's why the evidence shows what it does - that physical punishment (I prefer discipline) doesn't work... because it's not done right in the first place, so the results are terrible.

It is what is perceived by the child more than anything else I suspect that is important. And as you mentioned, a lot of this is just reactionary by the parent, and often then escalates when seen not to work. There are obviously ways to deal with children which don't involve such methods. Why can't all do so? The evidence seems to show it does more harm than any good.

nPeace

Veteran Member
It is what is perceived by the child more than anything else I suspect that is important. And as you mentioned, a lot of this is just reactionary by the parent, and often then escalates when seen not to work. There are obviously ways to deal with children which don't involve such methods. Why can't all do so? The evidence seems to show it does more harm than any good.
Correctional and juvenile centers are not normally perceived by adolescents to be a good thing, for their well being. However, we would not abolish them for that reason... but we might be able to help the youth to see how it works for their benefit, by how we structure the program.
Children may not like something because their perception is not trained. They are inexperienced, and immature. How we structure our program of discipline, can help them see it in a more positive light.

We know when we do wrong, but the inborn tendency from birth, is to manipulate "the system" that is in place, to get our own way.
The Bible puts it this way...
Proverbs 22:15 Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him.
(Proverbs 13:24; 19:18; 22:6)