• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coolest New inventions 2019

Cooky

Veteran Member
Audio sunglasses by Bose.
cq5dam.web.1000.1000.jpeg.jpg

Wearables by Bose – AR Audio Sunglasses

Cooky

Veteran Member
Folding smartphones, by 3 different manufacturers (Samsumg, Apple, and Huawe
set for release in 2019.

21.jpg

Bob the Unbeliever

Pretty cool-- but for $200US, I'd expect better lenses than what was shown in the advert.

At a bare minimum, a choice of blue-blocking (amber/brown), would be a must. I'd also expect a choice of bi-focal readers, at the bottom 1/3 of the lens too. And polarization ought to be optional (yes or no-- advocates on both sides of that debate-- why not make it an option?)

One possible solution? Make the frames capable of having different lens inserted, by the customer-- provide specifications, and make them capable of being opened. Take the specs to your local LensCrafter (or equivalent) for custom made prescription lenses.

Cool idea. Not fully fleshed out, IMO.

Bob the Unbeliever

Folding smartphones, by 3 different manufacturers (Samsumg, Apple, and Huawe
set for release in 2019.

View attachment 27164

The folding OLED screens have been promised since they were first displayed during one of those giant Electronic Trade Shows-- what? A decade or more ago?

The thing is, OLED, or Organic Light Emitting Diode chemistry is essentially a vacuum-deposited process not unlike printing or making a CPU. Current technology is deposited on glass, which is hard and stable enough to make it work properly.

Porting the same process to flexible materials has proven to be more problematic than onto glass. I don't know all the reasons, but I expect longevity is one major hurdle. Flexible materials are simply not as stable, nor robust as glass is.

In fact, I cannot think of a single material that would stand up to even a year of hard use, like glass can. Nylon? Too fragile in the thickness desired. Acetate? Same issue-- and it suffers from UV degradation (as do all plastics). Perhaps PET material? Only thing is-- PET suffers from temperature sensitivity. Get it over 50C/100F and it will soften dangerously. Ask anyone who's put boiling water into an old used COKE/PEPSI bottle what happens... :D

Perhaps graphiene? But I've not seen any commercial process than can make that stuff, in the quantities needed. (I may have spelled it wrong, but I do not mean graphite, but this is a flat material that consists of carbon molecules arranged in a hex pattern, but only in 2 dimensions, unlike diamond which is a 4-corner solid-- that's assuming my memory is accurate.)

Maybe they are using super-thin metals? Titanium, if thin enough, might be a candidate-- but it'd be pricy.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
That hover-bike looks pretty cool. But. Is the name "Limb-Destabilizer 3000?" and do you need to wear Kevlar armor when flying it? :D You know-- to avoid sudden and unexpected limb detachment, in the case of a sloppy landing...

I dont know, could be a little dicey in traffic too and riding near airports

But i really want one. Imagine taking the kids to school on that, the bmw and porche mums would be green

Dubai police have just added a few to their fleet of supercars so i am guessing they are quite expensive.

Bob the Unbeliever

I dont know, could be a little dicey in traffic too and riding near airports

But i really want one. Imagine taking the kids to school on that, the bmw and porche mums would be green

Dubai police have just added a few to their fleet of supercars so i am guessing they are quite expensive.

I expect the final product will include shrouds around the props, or at least a minimalist fender assembly.

In fact, a serious increase in performance could be had, by switching from props to ducted fans. Obviously, you're going to need some seriously lightweight but strong materials for the fan shrouds, but these are available readily enough.

A nice benefit of the ducting? You can put control vanes underneath the fans, eliminating a more complex arrangement of gimboled motor-mounts or variable pitch props.