• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coolest ads you've seen on RF

Cooky

Veteran Member
I've seen some cool ads pop up here, so I've started taking screen shots of them. :)

Screenshot_20180604-191740.png

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The ads you get are based on your browser/search history, I believe. For example, I went to Amazon to look for a particular item, and lo and behold when I went to RF ads for it were plastered all over. The same with Wish and Newegg

Stanyon

WWMRD?
I had one with the banner saying "amazing weight loss food" right above a picture of a sheep's stomach filled with haggis, I imagine the joke was that no one would eat it so you would lose weight and someone may have thought I was someone else. I have never had it but I have always heard it was pretty good except for the beer and haggis farts later.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The ads you get are based on your browser/search history, I believe. For example, I went to Amazon to look for a particular item, and lo and behold when I went to RF ads for it were plastered all over. The same with Wish and Newegg

They are based on one's browser research history, but also by the thread that you are looking at. On some of the threads where the rights of gay people are defended I will see ads for resorts etcs with a definite gay theme to them. That is not in my browser history at all.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
They are based on one's browser research history, but also by the thread that you are looking at. On some of the threads where the rights of gay people are defended I will see ads for resorts etcs with a definite gay theme to them. That is not in my browser history at all.

True, and it goes by IP address as well, as I see some local businesses/events occasionally advertized here.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I had one with the banner saying "amazing weight loss food" right above a picture of a sheep's stomach filled with haggis, I imagine the joke was that no one would eat it so you would lose weight and someone may have thought I was someone else. I have never had it but I have always heard it was pretty good except for the beer and haggis farts later.

Haggis is good served with a full Scottish breakfast.

Cooky

Veteran Member

Hmmm... That might explain why I actually like some of the ads I'm seeing.

ChristineM

Premium Member
The ads are location/interest based, originally known as interest based or targeted advertising, as data gathering techniques have become more refined the name has become personalised advertising

Cooky

Veteran Member
The ads are location/interest based, originally known as interest based or targeted advertising, as data gathering techniques have become more refined the name has become personalised advertising

Location based -I can see that. Because I was at a Loves station a little while ago in Quartsite, AZ on my way to Phoenix, and they happen to have a deisel mechanic shop there... Well anyways, an engine cleaner ad popped up along with a musclemilk one.

...I never look that stuff up.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Location based -I can see that. Because I was at a Loves station a little while ago in Quartsite, AZ on my way to Phoenix, and they happen to have a deisel mechanic shop there... Well anyways, an engine cleaner ad popped up along with a musclemilk one.

...I never look that stuff up.

That is serious targeting