• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cool Video On Age Of Consent Laws

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Some of her advice is sound, but some of it is good old American Victorianism dressed up as science-based wisdom. I think it will be a century before Americans in general are capable as a people of approaching human sexuality -- especially the sexuality of children -- without at least some element of hysteria.

By the way, you might be curious to know that almost all American consent laws were either first implemented -- or in a few states, were at least first implemented in their modern form -- around 1900. The date is significant. There was a nationwide movement back then to create or improve consent laws and the movement was focused on deterring girls from getting pregnant then dropping out of high school. You see, girls were getting pregnant in droves back then, dropping out of school, having babies, and then finding themselves unable to support themselves. In other words, the laws were originally implemented more by a desire to promote the girl's future economic security than by the thought the girls were not ready for sex.

The average age of first sex in the United States varies a little bit from year to year but tends to hover around 17.5 or so. To me, there is a trade off between the advantages and disadvantages of waiting past puberty to have sex. A younger teen is probably better off waiting. An older teen is probably better off having sex. Too soon and there are too many problems. Too late and there are also too many problems, but of a different sort.

One of my biggest concerns -- based on my knowledge of unhappy couples -- is that boys and girls have a dangerous tendency to end up marrying someone almost solely because that someone was their first partner and they think -- for some dumb reason or reasons -- that they have to marry their first partner.

Such marriages often end badly. I can no longer count the number of people who married that way who a few years later are crying on my shoulder about how miserable they and their spouses are. Each year, I get a handful of emails out of the blue from people who read my blog and who want a shoulder to cry on for that very reason.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Some of her advice is sound, but some of it is good old American Victorianism dressed up as science-based wisdom. I think it will be a century before Americans in general are capable as a people of approaching human sexuality -- especially the sexuality of children -- without at least some element of hysteria.

By the way, you might be curious to know that almost all American consent laws were either first implemented -- or in a few states, were at least first implemented in their modern form -- around 1900. The date is significant. There was a nationwide movement back then to create or improve consent laws and the movement was focused on deterring girls from getting pregnant then dropping out of high school. You see, girls were getting pregnant in droves back then, dropping out of school, having babies, and then finding themselves unable to support themselves. In other words, the laws were originally implemented more by a desire to promote the girl's future economic security than by the thought the girls were not ready for sex.
Interesting. Something I wasn't aware of.

The average age of first sex in the United States varies a little bit from year to year but tends to hover around 17.5 or so. To me, there is a trade off between the advantages and disadvantages of waiting past puberty to have sex. A younger teen is probably better off waiting. An older teen is probably better off having sex. Too soon and there are too many problems. Too late and there are also too many problems, but of a different sort.

One of my biggest concerns -- based on my knowledge of unhappy couples -- is that boys and girls have a dangerous tendency to end up marrying someone almost solely because that someone was their first partner and they think -- for some dumb reason or reasons -- that they have to marry their first partner.

Such marriages often end badly. I can no longer count the number of people who married that way who a few years later are crying on my shoulder about how miserable they and their spouses are. Each year, I get a handful of emails out of the blue from people who read my blog and who want a shoulder to cry on for that very reason.
In as much as I find nothing wrong with consensual sex of any kind, and that pregnancy seems to be the main cause of strife resulting from people having sex, I'd like to see some method of mandatory, semi-permanent (reversible) contraceptive administered to children, preferably the female, at the age of 10 or 11. It would only be reversed after the age of 21 upon request. (All wishful thinking of course.)

Current age of sexual consent laws.
map_us_age_of_consent-1024x576.png

source

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
High school. During PE class my male classmates forced me to use to female locker room...they did not want me in the male locker room ( I wonder why:p)

Btw...in the female locker room..all girls used to complain how sexually immature school boys were...and most of them were still virgins...