• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cooking with Lard

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
complete novice here
not a clue

any list of pros and cons?
Pros

Food will taste really good like it used to be in the old days.

Cons

Don't eat too much of that goodness on a regular basis lest u clog up the arteries.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Makes food fried in it taste great. Everything was cooked in it when I was a kid and we survived.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I’d say if sourced organically it is supposed to be one of the healthiest fats.

Lard Rated One of the Top 10 Healthiest Foods - LewRockwell LewRockwell.com

Lard is healthy? Cholesterol is not the culprit? Down that road leads to obesity.
Better to get guidance from a proper nutritional authority, such as:
Fat: the facts

Last edited:

Good-Ole-Rebel

complete novice here
not a clue

any list of pros and cons?

The biggest pro I know of is making soap. All you need is lard and lye. Render the lard down. Mix the lye. Let it cool and set for several weeks, or months. You got soap.

Im sure you can find all sorts of recipe's on the internet. Bottom line is lard and lye.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Thief

Rogue Theologian
so I cut up some small red potatoes and set them to swimming in a skillet of lard

I couldn't help but notice …..the scent of the cooking was not appealing

the potatoes were fine

InChrist

Free4ever
Yes, the link I posted refers to LDL and HDL cholesterol as well as saturated, unsaturated, trans fats etc. I'll stick with consistent NHS advice rather than a newspaper article from 2004.
Yet, since the move was made away from healthy omega-3 animal fats to high omega-6 trans fats, like margarine, Crisco, soy, and corn oil heart disease and Alzheimer’s disease has skyrocketed. The link you provided also mentioned the importance of omega-3 fat.

I would not advocate lard from feedlot pork, but pasture raised animals produce meat and fat that is high in omega-3. Therefore, lard under these conditions from grass fed, organically raised animals is healthy.

Although, the linked study below is in reference to the health benefits of grass fed beef, the same would apply to grass fed pork.

A review of fatty acid profiles and antioxidant content in grass-fed and grain-fed beef

Beginner Plan: Fats

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Yet, since the move was made away from healthy omega-3 animal fats to high omega-6 trans fats, like margarine, Crisco, soy, and corn oil heart disease and Alzheimer’s disease has skyrocketed. The link you provided also mentioned the importance of omega-3 fat.

I would not advocate lard from feedlot pork, but pasture raised animals produce meat and fat that is high in omega-3. Therefore, lard under these conditions from grass fed, organically raised animals is healthy.

Although, the linked study below is in reference to the health benefits of grass fed beef, the same would apply to grass fed pork.

A review of fatty acid profiles and antioxidant content in grass-fed and grain-fed beef

Beginner Plan: Fats

Omega-6: yes this is why most beef in this country is unhealthy - forcing cows to eat corn (instead of grass). And the corn would eventually kill the cows but they are slaughtered before that happens.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Omega-6: yes this is why most beef in this country is unhealthy - forcing cows to eat corn (instead of grass). And the corn would eventually kill the cows but they are slaughtered before that happens.
I've seen a documentary to that effect
a cow in a stall.....as guinea pig
the researcher had an open port into the cow's stomach
reach right in and grab whatever the cow had been chewing on

the goop is different for a cow eating grass as compared to a cow eating corn
the end result in meat is also different

the starchy sugary corn turns to fat
and what is called a 'well marbled' steak

Thief

Rogue Theologian
so.....a skillet full of lard
compared to a skillet full of vegetable shortening
would have a different cooking temp?
low flame?....high flame?

InChrist

Free4ever

I agree, feedlot corn/grain feed beef is unhealthy for human consumption and inhumane to the cows.