• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cooking with Lard

MNoBody

coconut is better, but lard is great for pastry
bear lard makes the best pies [flaky pastry], but I haven't had any of that since we moved to the city

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
complete novice here
not a clue

any list of pros and cons?
Unfortunately lard and crisco are the only way to get a pie crust the way its supposed to be. If you use butter or anything else -- absolutely anything else -- you will not get a classic pie crust.

Other than that I would get an air fryer or use something better for you like olive oil, avocado or grapeseed oil.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Lard is heaven....tamales....pie crusts.....
Life is more than just worth living.

Your a rabbid bacon eater..what you think about lard does not matter.....you misleader of the poor and defenseless and those involved in defalcation

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
complete novice here
not a clue

any list of pros and cons?

1 table spoon has 115 calories....

The rest I leave to you to figure out..

Lard

1. Lard
When you think of a lard-based pie crust, you might imagine an elderly woman named Ma cutting rendered fat from a dearly departed pig into hand-milled flour, looking out over the old homestead years ago. But lard is a perfectly good fat to use for pie crust in the present day—if you can find rendered leaf lard (made from the high-quality fat around the kidneys and loin of the pig), the only kind of lard I would recommend for pie making.

The pros: Lard produces an extremely crisp, flaky crust. It's also easy to work with, as its melting point is higher than butter, so it doesn't soften as quickly while you handle it, or threaten to dissolve into the flour as quickly as butter before baking.

The cons: Good quality rendered leaf lard is hard to find. Much of the lard widely available in grocery stores has been hydrogenated and filled with preservatives, with a strong piggy flavor, which makes baking with it considerably less desirable than an all-butter crust.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Your a rabbid bacon eater..what you think about lard does not matter.....you misleader of the poor and defenseless and those involved in defalcation
Don't get all snippy with me, Yogi....you're the one who defalcates in the woods.