• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cooking Apples are Back, Hooray!

exchemist

Veteran Member
Today I saw what seem to be the first of the new season's Bramley cooking apples at the supermarket. There have been none for the last 2 months.

Bramley apple - Wikipedia

These things seem to be virtually unique to Britain* and are in my view unsurpassed for pies, crumbles and so on. They are sour and need to be peeled, cored, sliced and cooked with sugar, but when cooked they disintegrate naturally into a fluffy golden compote. They benefit from a bit of spice, either cinnamon (not my favourite) or cloves (lovely) when used on their own, or alternatively they make a harmonious pie or crumble filling cooked with red fruit. Wild blackberries are a classic (avoid supermarket blackberries, which are almost as tasteless as those useless blueberries you see everywhere:mad:) and raspberries are excellent too.

Once, by mistake, I was trying to make a simple compote de pommes and forgot about it, resulting in caramelisation of the sugar and apple mixture at the bottom of the pan. It was all stuck so I decided to let it cool before trying to scrape it up, hoping the moisture from the rest might soften it. Which it did. The result was so good that I do that deliberately now.

I always try to buy the biggest I can, as the core is always the same size, so you get more flesh for your money with big ones - plus less effort to prepare them.

I have made apple and raspberry crumble for visiting French relatives and they always love it, so it must be OK.;)

There are some compensations to Autumn.......

*In the Netherlands we found an apple called goudreinette which seemed to be the closest substitute on the Continent.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Today I saw what seem to be the first of the new season's Bramley cooking apples at the supermarket. There have been none for the last 2 months.

These things seem to be virtually unique to Britain* and are in my view unsurpassed for pies, crumbles and so on. They are sour and need to be peeled, cored, sliced and cooked with sugar, but when cooked they disintegrate naturally into a fluffy golden compote. They benefit from a bit of spice, either cinnamon (not my favourite) or cloves (lovely) when used on their own, or alternatively they make a harmonious pie or crumble filling cooked with red fruit. Wild blackberries are a classic (avoid supermarket blackberries, which are almost as tasteless as those useless blueberries you see everywhere:mad:) and raspberries are excellent too.

Once, by mistake, I was trying to make a simple compote de pommes and forgot about it, resulting in caramelisation of the sugar and apple mixture at the bottom of the pan. It was all stuck so I decided to let it cool before trying to scrape it up, in the hope that hoping the moisture from the rest might soften it. Which it did. The result was so good that I do that deliberately now.

I always try to buy the biggest I can, as the core is always the same size, so you get more flesh for your money with big ones - plus less effort to prepare them.

I have made apple and raspberry crumble for visiting French relatives and they always love it, so it must be OK.;)

*In the Netherlands we found an apple called goudreinette which seemed to be the closest substitute on the Continent.
They look delicious.
I normally use the yellow apples from Trentino and South Tyrol to bake Apfelstrudels...
One of my favorite cakes.:p

Yerda

Veteran Member

Once, by mistake, I was trying to make a simple compote de pommes and forgot about it, resulting in caramelisation of the sugar and apple mixture at the bottom of the pan. It was all stuck so I decided to let it cool before trying to scrape it up, in the hope that hoping the moisture from the rest might soften it. Which it did. The result was so good that I do that deliberately now.

I saw a recipe for a really flaky pastry recently and I'm keen to try apple turnovers soon.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
There is a very good local apple grower and that definitely isn't a variety they have on their lands. I will probably get some apples next week from them at the market now that more varieties are ready for picking. Sadly it is likely to be a bad year as most of the state has been in some sort of drought and their lands may have gotten hit by the land-hurricane a few weeks back too, but I'm hopeful. Local grown apples are the best.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

So...when do we all get a taste?

exchemist

Veteran Member
So...when do we all get a taste?
I'll try to remember to send you a photo of the first thing I make with them. But I haven't bought any yet, because we are still eating the stewed damsons referred to in my other recent thread. They are sensational, I have to say - and a tase of childhood remembered.

exchemist

Veteran Member
There is a very good local apple grower and that definitely isn't a variety they have on their lands. I will probably get some apples next week from them at the market now that more varieties are ready for picking. Sadly it is likely to be a bad year as most of the state has been in some sort of drought and their lands may have gotten hit by the land-hurricane a few weeks back too, but I'm hopeful. Local grown apples are the best.
What varieties do you get, where you are?

My favourites are Bramleys for cooking and, for eating, Cox's Orange Pippins and Russets. Though at the start of the season it's also nice to have some Early Windsors. (My son and I tried some Discovery last week but they were pretty awful.) Worcester Pearmains are supposed to be very good, but I've never seen them in London.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
What varieties do you get, where you are?

My favourites are Bramleys for cooking and, for eating, Cox's Orange Pippins and Russets. Though at the start of the season it's also nice to have some Early Windsors. (My son and I tried some Discovery last week but they were pretty awful.) Worcester Pearmains are supposed to be very good, but I've never seen them in London.

Oh, they grow quite a few. Honeycrisp are always beloved, though expensive compared to others. They are not a baking apple, but sweet for eating,. I like their Earligold and Johnagold too as they are great for both eating and baking. I think a lot of the varieties they do are more regional specific. That is a very cool thing about apples, I think!

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I envy you guys. Although we always have plenty of apples around here all year long in the Seattle area, they all taste like zombies. :(

Deidre

Cooked apples are scrumptious! It's that time of year, and pumpkin spice is in the air, too.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Oh, they grow quite a few. Honeycrisp are always beloved, though expensive compared to others. They are not a baking apple, but sweet for eating,. I like their Earligold and Johnagold too as they are great for both eating and baking. I think a lot of the varieties they do are more regional specific. That is a very cool thing about apples, I think!
The only one of those I've seen over here is Jonagold. I must admit I've given it a wide berth, thinking it might be like Golden Delicious, which is probably the worst apple of all time - a sort of apple equivalent of the iceberg lettuce :confused:. But if you think they are OK, maybe I should try one some time and see.

By the way, having looked up goudreinette (or goudreinet), I see it is an alternative name for Boskoop, the town in the Netherlands where it was first grown. I've seen Boskoop in French supermarkets in Brittany. If you ever come across that I'd recommend it for baking, in the absence of Bramleys.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Apple pie and custard is my favourite comfort food.
Real custard or Bird's?

I was looking up the origin of the Victoria sponge cake the other day and found out that in the 1840s a Mr Alfred Bird, a chemist, invented not only an egg-free custard substitute but also, even more significantly, baking powder. Both were created for his wife, who was allergic to yeast (the prevailing rising agent) and eggs (used in real custard). His custard brand is still going today, though no doubt it is now owned by some megacorporation.

I had no idea baking powder was such a recent invention. It must have had quite a revolutionary effect in the kitchen, considering how many recipes depend on it.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Real custard or Bird's?

I was looking up the origin of the Victoria sponge cake the other day and found out that in the 1840s a Mr Alfred Bird, a chemist, invented not only an egg-free custard substitute but also, even more significantly, baking powder. Both were created for his wife, who was allergic to yeast (the prevailing rising agent) and eggs (used in real custard). His custard brand is still going today, though no doubt it is now owned by some megacorporation.

I had no idea baking powder was such a recent invention. It must have had quite a revolutionary effect in the kitchen, considering how many recipes depend on it.
Preferably real custard ... but depends on time.