• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Converts

Prima

In my Perspectives class, my teacher was discussing how Judaism originally did not accept converts. How does the Jewish faith feel about this today in general? How do you feel about it?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Prima said:
In my Perspectives class, my teacher was discussing how Judaism originally did not accept converts. How does the Jewish faith feel about this today in general? How do you feel about it?
i'm not sure where your teacher got that idea, traditionally many of the people who were at sinai were non-jews who had left egypt w/ the hebrews...
today conversion is something that is accepted in judaism, however it can be very long and difficult process. You have to go to a rabbi and he has to reject you 3 times, and then on the thrid time if he feels like your ready he'll help you begin the process.
i have only gone once to my rabbi, i still have 2 more times to go and hopefully i'll be able to prove myself to him, converting orthodox is really hard...
but usually after converting that person is considered as much a jew as a person born jewish
now there is the question of "halachisty" of converts in conservative, reform, or reconstrucionist judaism, at least from an orthodox stand point...but i personally wish some jews would just get over it and realize that they are all part of one big family that much of the world hates:D

Prima

You have to go to a rabbi and he has to reject you 3 times, and then on the thrid time if he feels like your ready he'll help you begin the process.
I don't quite understand this. So, you go and ask to begin converting, and he rejects your request?

Lintu

Judaism has always accepted converts. Some of the most important and/or well-known people of the Tanach were converts.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Prima said:
I don't quite understand this. So, you go and ask to begin converting, and he rejects your request?
yes because to take on the yoke of mitzvot isn't for everyone and he has to be certain that you are absolutely and completely 150% sure of what your doing...being a jew isn't for everyone.