• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

converts?

Rakhel

Non-ethical? not too sure what you are asking, but conversion, in and of itself, can take as long as the rabbi determines. There is no hard and fast rule for it.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I'm working through the process now.

The hardest part for me is making the necessary changes to follow the mitzvot. For example, going from eating whatever you want to trying to keep kosher is a huge challenge at first. Making these changes with a family is definitely interesting.

There is a lot of reading and learning involved; I spend many hours every week either reading or studying with my rabbi.

I've never heard of a "quick" conversion. Most of what I've read suggests one to two years to be fairly common. My rabbi uses a two year program, but my conversion will most likely take longer because I came into the synagogue in the middle of a cycle.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
There was a book written by a man fro Toronto called "Jew and Improved: How choosing to be chosen made me a better man" and am not sure on it's availability outside of Canada.

It's maybe not THE most serious and fact riddled book on conversion, as in step 1,2,3,4.....etc...
Although it did teach me a couple of things and gave me a 'working model' of how Jewish life is embraced by this man and his Wife's Jewish family.

It's an autobiography, so of course you get his flavour of the experience and he interjects his thoughts in humour most often.

Not exactly and answer to your question, but perhaps some inspirational reading.

:namaste
SageTree

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I'm working through the process now.

The hardest part for me is making the necessary changes to follow the mitzvot. For example, going from eating whatever you want to trying to keep kosher is a huge challenge at first. Making these changes with a family is definitely interesting.

There is a lot of reading and learning involved; I spend many hours every week either reading or studying with my rabbi.

I've never heard of a "quick" conversion. Most of what I've read suggests one to two years to be fairly common. My rabbi uses a two year program, but my conversion will most likely take longer because I came into the synagogue in the middle of a cycle.
Thanks for replying.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
There was a book written by a man fro Toronto called "Jew and Improved: How choosing to be chosen made me a better man" and am not sure on it's availability outside of Canada.

It's maybe not THE most serious and fact riddled book on conversion, as in step 1,2,3,4.....etc...
Although it did teach me a couple of things and gave me a 'working model' of how Jewish life is embraced by this man and his Wife's Jewish family.

It's an autobiography, so of course you get his flavour of the experience and he interjects his thoughts in humour most often.

Not exactly and answer to your question, but perhaps some inspirational reading.

:namaste
SageTree

Thanks, I'm not converting btw, just wanted to get an idea of what people went through.
Apparently there's quite a bit of studying, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Then the book ought to still serve you good to read then :D
As I just read it to be more informed and not to convert.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Good luck and best wishes on getting some more replies in here.

BTW... I think it was a YEAR in the book, if memory serves me correctly.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Good luck and best wishes on getting some more replies in here.

BTW... I think it was a YEAR in the book, if memory serves me correctly.

Eh, I think I got the general idea...

Anyways, this is the "Judaism dir"...

so I'm going to leave now.

:D

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
okay man, nice chattin'

magic_chair_gif.gif

Dena

I wouldn't say it's easy. Studying is the easiest part. It's taken me about two years and I'm almost ready.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I wouldn't say it's easy. Studying is the easiest part. It's taken me about two years and I'm almost ready.

So it really does take a long time generally.

What was the hardest change you had to

make, was it dietary changes or scial customs...etc?

Ilisrum

I'm not sure if this belongs in this thread, but I have a question that's related to the topic. I recently discovered that I have Jewish ancestry on my mother's side. I've never researched my family history before, so it surprised me when I found out that my great-great grandmother was a German born Ashkenazi Jew. I had no idea, since my family is Anglican (at least nominally).

At the moment, I have no interest in converting to Judaism. But if I were to go into a synagogue and mention this, would I still be viewed as an outsider? Say sometime down the road I wanted to be Jewish, would my heritage make a difference?

Thanks for any replies.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I'm not sure if this belongs in this thread, but I have a question that's related to the topic. I recently discovered that I have Jewish ancestry on my mother's side. I've never researched my family history before, so it surprised me when I found out that my great-great grandmother was a German born Ashkenazi Jew. I had no idea, since my family is Anglican (at least nominally).

At the moment, I have no interest in converting to Judaism. But if I were to go into a synagogue and mention this, would I still be viewed as an outsider? Say sometime down the road I wanted to be Jewish, would my heritage make a difference?

Thanks for any replies.

I think you should start your own thread, with multiple questions in one thread it can become confused and muddled.

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!

Thanks for any replies.
The consensus I've seen among Orthodox rabbis: Three generations removed from the faith requires conversion again. Reform: You're Jewish, don't worry. Other: Your mileage may vary.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Any non-ethnic Jews who converted to Judaism here? Was it hard? Easy? Did it take a long time or was it fast?

Judaism is not in any way ethnic; I'm Argentinian and look and have a culture nothing like Polish Jews, for example.

As I am on a board which function is to assist Proselytes, I can confirm it is both hard and easy. Easy in that they feel like themselves at last. Hard in that the various communities all make their own conditions and reject other communities conditions. Long as it often takes years if not decades before they realize this path is the path they did seek... fast in that they are welcomed so quickly into the fold.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

Thanks for any replies.

Are the anglicans the ones that hand out flyers door to door on fridays?

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Are the anglicans the ones that hand out flyers door to door on fridays?

I have attended an Anglican Church for over a year now and this has never come up.
I would have to say NO, definitely, in my experience.
Maybe would put it past SOME communities doing it,
However as a whole I'd say my NO is likely the correct answer as I've never heard of the practice with in the Anglican Church nor the Episcopalians in the States.

On the Friday's I've been approached by a person representing a religion it's been a Jehovah's Witness.