• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Converting

Lightkeeper

pah said:
Ladies and gentlemen,

This is supposed to be an educational forum where others can find out about Atheism this thread was in line with that when it started. I think it is going astray by talking about what Christians can do to convert us.

You are correct, Pah. The question is for the atheists and this is not a debate forum. If the debate continues, we will have to move the topic.

dharveymi

With all due respect to the moderator, the origninal post questioned what religion an atheist would convert to if they were to convert. This postulate requires a certain amount of discussion about the relative merits of certain religions.

It also begs the question, "Why would an atheist want to convert to a religion at all?" After all atheism has so much going for it. What is the orthodox atheist world view anyway, or do you guys just show up for the coffee, hymns, good preaching, and beautiful architecture (atheists are known for having the most beautiful cathedrals, aren't they?)

dharveymi--

Atheist means not believing in God/gods. Atheists do not agree on everything, just as theists do not agree on everything. There is no 'atheist worldview' just as there is no theist worldview.

Contrary to your earnest assertion, atheists are not known for having the most beautiful cathedrals...possibly because there is no worldwide organization of atheists who promise eternal salvation in return for money from the peasantry to fund such expensive endeavors. Still, even atheists have made their humble contributions to these buildings--a famous atheist named Raphael painted some of the most beautiful frescoes the world has ever seen on the walls of many cathedrals.

But no, I do not think you are correct that atheists are known for their beautiful cathedrals.....nor are they known for their violent crusades.

dharveymi

Atheists are quite well known for their crusades against the Truth. The rest of my post was a joke.

But seriously, saying that you do not believe in God does not represent a philosophical statement. You seem to just oppose others, but have no real system which guides your life. Most theist, including myselft, have such a system, called a world view.

Pah

Uber all member
dharveymi said:
Atheists are quite well known for their crusades against the Truth. The rest of my post was a joke.

But seriously, saying that you do not believe in God does not represent a philosophical statement. You seem to just oppose others, but have no real system which guides your life. Most theist, including myselft, have such a system, called a world view.

Humanity is the system that guides my life and certainly has a recognizable world view. The major difference between theists (at least, Christians) and atheists is the recognition of what constitutes a supreme authority. While you may bow to what I consider a tribal, sky-god, I prefer the more concrete reality of secular law. My convenant is with myself and my fellow man and is much more inclusive.

There is little difference between us in how we conduct ourselves and our goals other than the vargarities, education, and temperment of individuals.

dharveymi

So the supreme authority for an atheist is secular law? Is that the law of the land? Since I life in Florida, the supreme authority for my life, if I were and atheist, would be the laws of Florida? And, if I lived in Germany during WWII, the supreme authority for how I lived my life would be the Nazi laws? Ok, that makes sense.

Pah

Uber all member
dharveymi said:
So the supreme authority for an atheist is secular law? Is that the law of the land? Since I life in Florida, the supreme authority for my life, if I were and atheist, would be the laws of Florida? And, if I lived in Germany during WWII, the supreme authority for how I lived my life would be the Nazi laws? Ok, that makes sense.

I certianly hope there is no implication in you mentioning Nazi Germany. For you will notice that humanism played an important role in my statement. If I had lived in Germany during the Nazi era, I wouild have probably been indocrinated by both Christianity and the Nazi state, as so many other citizens of Germany were, with little chance to become a freethinker.

And the supreme authortity is not the provincvial Florida or Virginia (in my case) but the US Constitution.

Ceridwen018

I agree pah. You don't need a god to give you morals. Morals have evolved within our society much like everything else.

And as for crusades, I would argue that Atheists crusade FOR the truth, certainly not against it. Isn't that the whole point?

dharveymi

So the US constitution is your ultimate authority, but you must be aware that the US constitution has at times been used to support the institution of slavery and the subjegation of women. (And, of course you do not drink, because the US constitution once made that illegal, or maybe because it has now been changed, it is OK?)

But when you travel to another country, are you free to do whatever you want, because the US constitution has a limited authority?

Pah

Uber all member
dharveymi said:
So the US constitution is your ultimate authority, but you must be aware that the US constitution has at times been used to support the institution of slavery and the subjegation of women. (And, of course you do not drink, because the US constitution once made that illegal, or maybe because it has now been changed, it is OK?)

But when you travel to another country, are you free to do whatever you want, because the US constitution has a limited authority?

You seem to want to challange atheism and this is not the proper forum for it.

I'll readily debate the cause of those ills in another forum - even to citing biblical chapter and verse if you like. Send me a PM if you start one.

Ceridwen018

Haha, we wouldn't.

This is all theoretical though. It's basically asking what our favorite religion is, even if we don't believe in it.

I would choose Greek Mythology I think because their god's are very human-like and they aren't afraid to show it. It's also very interesting to me.

dharveymi

Of course it is theoretical, but what about these religions are appealing to you and why? Is there something missing in atheism? (What am I saying? Everything is missing from atheism.) But, seriously, why would this question ever come up? It doesn't come up among my friends. (And, that's not because we check our brains at the door, I knew that comment was coming.)

Ceridwen018

It's just kind of a fun thing I guess. If we were going to believe in something that doesn't exist, which angle would we most enjoy taking? A Jew? A Christian?

dharveymi said:
I disagree with the first statement, but agree with the second.

But seriously, saying that you do not believe in God does not represent a philosophical statement.
Neither does saying you do believe in God. What's your point?

You seem to just oppose others, but have no real system which guides your life.
If by "real system" you mean I do not conform to the systems of others, then you are correct, in my case. There are plenty of atheists who do have a "real system" including Taoism and Buddhism. You are mischaracterizing atheism, which is a word with very limited meaning and does little justice to describe the "worldview" of an atheist, just as theism does little to describe which of the millions of theistic worldviews a theist subscribes to.

Most theist, including myselft, have such a system, called a world view.
In my experience, most theists subscribe to the worldviews of others, rather than having one of their own. I have a worldview...it's ultimate authority is Mr Spinkles, because my ego is not big enough to accept that my human thoughts are divinely inspired. Though rest assured, my worldview is held with as much conviction as you hold yours.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
ya, one kind of buddhism believes in no gods. all the rest (which are only like two) have multiple forms of gods (like avalokitshwara, white tara, green tara, ect.... forms of buddha, you kno what i mean) and the other kind has shintism infused with buddhism (which includes worship of nature/elements and ancestors).