• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Converting

dharveymi

This is indeed a compelling statement, especially the part about premarrital sex coming from a woman, but is not really the point of this thread. I do believe that the earth was created in seven days, that the flood destroyed the earth in the days of Noah, and that premarrital sex is contrary to the will of God (so is jumping off of tall buildings without a parachute,) but these would probably be better for another thread.

Linus

Yes I agree, dharveymi. Although, I am getting tired of hearing christians condemn people all the time. If we christians want to convert people (after all that is one of our goals here on earth) we can't go around condemning people. That is The Lord's job, let the Lord do it. It doesnt' matter what we think, the Lord is our creator, the Lord will be our Judge.

Plus it kind of turns people off to the whole idea.

dharveymi

Although it seems I was being critical, that was not my intention. I would really like to see threads on those topics. They are very compelling. I do not believe them simply because that is what the Bible says, but because the overwhelming evidence suggests that they are true. I hope this helps.

Linus

My post wasn't dirscted toward you, dharveymi. I was just pointing out the fact that christians are condemning others too much. I didn't think you were being critical because you were merely stating your beliefs.

But that statement made about premarital sex and evolution just got me thinking about christians and our tendency to go into "hell fire and brimstone mode."

Aria

"I do believe that the earth was created in seven days, that the flood destroyed the earth in the days of Noah"

"I do not believe them simply because that is what the Bible says, but because the overwhelming evidence suggests that they are true"

dharveymi posted both of these comments and i was just wondering what overwhelming evidence he can present to suggest that the earth was created in 7 days?

Aria

Gerani1248 said:
sex after marriage is one of my personal morals and eithics. i dont know about you...

No Sex after marriage isnt included in my ethics because i dont see anything wrong with it. I dont see Sex as a "bad" thing and i dont believe that it makes me a Bad person.

There are many reasons for it. I have been in a relationship for 3 years now but im only 20 and so im not ready financially to get married. I dont think that i should refrain from loving my partner in every way just because were not legally married or joined in the eyes of a god i dont believe in.

dharveymi

Once again, this is not the subject of this thread, consider the thread:
Religious Forums - Chat - Debate - Education » Religious Debate - Religious Chat » Science and Religion » Can Science and Religion be reconciled?

I am unaware of a thread concerning premarital sex, maybe the poster would like to start one. Let me know, I would like to post.

Linus

Actually the subject of this thread is "converting", But your point still stands dharveymi. The sex outside of marriage issue doesn't belong here.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
sure dharveymi that would be fuzzy!

to me, converting is not what God intended us to do. whats the point of being labeled a christian? it doesnt signify if you have faith in God. a person can stroll into church and call himself a christian. but it may not make him. not everything in a garage is a car you kno.

im one of those float your boat kinda guys. frankly, i have my opinions, but go ahead with yours. i wont change you because it differs with mine.

i really really really dont like the way some people advertise thier religion like a new soft drink. it really really really bothers me. and it disrespects God and everything holy.

Linus

I think that by using the term "convert" means that someone completely changes his or her beliefs. Not just saying "ok now I am a christian just because I want to be". I think it's more of a person coming to a realisation that a particular belief system is better than the one they had been using before.

In that sense of the word, I think that is exactly what God inteded for us to do. Matthew 28:19-Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

Does that make sense?

Linus

We are baptized so that we may get closer to God, but the only way to God according to the Bible is through Jesus. John 14:6

I guess I should say that we are baptized inorder to be saved by God. Not just to get closer to Him. But still...

Pah

Uber all member
Ladies and gentlemen,

This is supposed to be an educational forum where others can find out about Atheism this thread was in line with that when it started. I think it is going astray by talking about what Christians can do to convert us.

dharveymi

Yeh, where's the moderator when you need them. Hey, I'd settle for the orignial poster, where is he anyway, get us started and just drop us, leave us here with no intervention, no wait that's not atheism, that's on of those other religions. I'll think of it. Atheism, is there is no original poster. No one began this thread and no one moderates it, and no one can tell me how to run my own thread. Is that about right?

Just kidding!

Three scientists approach the throne of God. One says to God, "We don't need you anymore, we have it all figured out, we can even create life."

"Wow, that's pretty impressive, I'm quite proud of you," God replies

"Thanks," says the next scientist.

"Your welcome," God replies. "So you don't need me at all?"

"That's right," says the third scientist. "Would you like to see?" he asks. God nods.

They bend down to pick up some dirt. God stops them. "Wait a minute. Make your own dirt." :lol:

dharveymi said:
I must admit I stole it. Borrowed it. Referenced it. Oh, I don't know, I didn't make it up.
Hey, you sound like the authors of the Bible! :wink:

Here's something that would probably convert me: as I look into the night sky, the stars all suddenly rearrange themselves into the words "GOD EXISTS. EVERYTHING IN THE (bible, Torah, Q'Ran) IS TRUE" These stars would change colors, and remain in the sky 24 hours a day, and never disappear. Astronomers would be at a complete loss as to how this could possibly happen, and would confirm that the stars themselves have indeed moved to new positions, completely defying natural laws. Next, all famines, diseases, birth deformities, earthquakes, floods, and other "acts of God" would come to a miraculous end (thanks, God!). These events would be all over the news, and suddenly millions of people would proclaim their newfound faith. Belief in God would become, from that day forth, as simple as belief that the Sun rises every day.

I do not expect what I have described above to happen, of course, because there is no God to perform it. I would wager that even all of the theists here would agree God would never make His existence so clear to everyone (in my opinion, the reason He does not make His existence clear is because He does not exist....theists will give you alternative motives).

dharveymi

I must admit that I love the last post. You are not far from the kingdom. The author of Psalms 19 says that the "heavens declare the glory of God." I believe in a theory, that suggests that before the flood the heavens did very much what you are describing. I believe that famines, diseases, birth defects, etc. were almost nonexistent, that everything was nearly perfect (except people). Did people do what you have suggested that they did? No. Instead, the thoughts of their minds were evil continually.

Jesus was willing, and apparently quite able to do just what you said, but when he healed people of their diseases, fed them, and said just what you suggest God should say, His own people killed Him.

But, I believe that you are correct. God must do more than prove that Satan is a liar. He must prove that His kingdom is not only righteous but possible from a people infected with sin for thousands of years. God must prove that a people (not just individuals in history) can make His kingdom a reality. They must collectively and individually live Christ's life in a sinful world. They must feed the hungry (by the power of God;) they must heal their diseases (by the power of God;) they must do what you say, and declare God righteous.

It will happen, it must.

dharveymi said:
I believe in a theory, that suggests that before the flood the heavens did very much what you are describing. I believe that famines, diseases, birth defects, etc. were almost nonexistent, that everything was nearly perfect (except people). Did people do what you have suggested that they did? No. Instead, the thoughts of their minds were evil continually.

Jesus was willing, and apparently quite able to do just what you said, but when he healed people of their diseases, fed them, and said just what you suggest God should say, His own people killed Him.
Either that, or Jesus did not heal anyone but played some rather clever tricks which only convinced a fraction of the Jews who witnessed them....lets not forget that at that time, there were lots of guys going around claiming to be prophets, performing miracles, etc.

To say that "he performed miracles, and STILL no one believed...so he does not perform these miracles for you because he expects you will not believe, either" is to make a very dubious argument indeed.