• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Convert or Die Christian video game

Check all that apply...

• I plan to buy this video game for myself

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I plan to buy this video for an adult

• I plan to buy this video for a child

• I own this video game

• Total voters

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Link
Liberal and progressive Christian groups say a new computer game in which players must either convert or kill non-Christians is the wrong gift to give this holiday season...
The Rev. Tim Simpson, a Jacksonville, Fla., Presbyterian minister and president of the Christian Alliance for Progress, added: "So, under the Christmas tree this year for little Johnny is this allegedly Christian video game teaching Johnny to hate and kill?"
In Left Behind, set in perfectly apocalyptic New York City, the Antichrist is personified by fictional Romanian Nicolae Carpathia, secretary-general of the United Nations and a People magazine "Sexiest Man Alive."

Players can choose to join the Antichrist's team, but of course they can never win on Carpathia's side. The enemy team includes fictional rock stars and folks with Muslim-sounding names, while the righteous include gospel singers, missionaries, healers and medics. Every character comes with a life story.

When asked about the Arab and Muslim-sounding names, Frichner said the game does not endorse prejudice. But "Muslims are not believers in Jesus Christ" -- and thus can't be on Christ's side in the game.

"That is so obvious," he said.

What?? That just sounds so crazy to me. Has anyone here played this game? Is this a good way for parents to teach their children Christian values?

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
They're going to bring this to a point where America becomes the bad guy and moderates, what I would even call normal people, on all sides, will no longer be able to stand with that country at all.

ayani

this is disgusting. *why* is this being allowed to be released? seriously. this is just a dangerous tool, not a game.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
"When asked about the Arab and Muslim-sounding names, Frichner said the game does not endorse prejudice. But "Muslims are not believers in Jesus Christ" -- and thus can't be on Christ's side in the game."

We're believers to a much higher degree than Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, and many other religions. At least we regard Jesus as an important prophet.

I suppose, though, they've already exhausted their hatred for all those groups so now it's our turn. I'd just say be careful what you wish for. ;)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The game teaches the values of the Left Behind series. I doubt those are Christian values.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
ChrisP said:
Somehow I doubt it'll be Christians buying it.

Any reviews? How's the gameplay?

From the link:
Jeff Gerstmann, senior editor at Gamespot.com, an online publication, said the game sn't popular. The game itself, which Gamespot rated 3.4 out of a possible 10, has lots of glitches.

"And it's kind of crazy," Gerstmann said. "One of the evil characters is a rock musician. ... If you get too close to him your spirit is lowered."

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Guess I won't be getting it then :)

Really are this games values, by the standards of most people in the United States, any worse than the Grand Theft Auto series? Really? Or is it just the religious spin that's making people fire up?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
ChrisP said:
Guess I won't be getting it then :)

Really are this games values, by the standards of most people in the United States, any worse than the Grand Theft Auto series? Really? Or is it just the religious spin that's making people fire up?
Yeah, I think it's the religious spin that are upsetting people. It's some Christians who are upset that this is being marketted as a Christian game when the player is told to kill non-believers.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Mister Emu said:
Bleh...

While I in no way support this game, I do support their right to release it...

I agree. I even said it's suitable for adults, but not children. Adults can make their own choices on the game. I'm just curious the reaction of Christians to this game that encourages the killing of non-Christians. Killing and violence is nothing new in the gaming world, however.

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
Maize said:

I agree. I even said it's suitable for adults, but not children. Adults can make their own choices on the game. I'm just curious the reaction of Christians to this game that encourages the killing of non-Christians. Killing and violence is nothing new in the gaming world, however.

there is the option to fight for the other side though, although it's not possible to win on the 'evil' side apparently!

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
The whole premise is preposterous to a level I haven't seen in any video game that I can think of...

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Maize said:
Yeah, I think it's the religious spin that are upsetting people. It's some Christians who are upset that this is being marketted as a Christian game when the player is told to kill non-believers.

Well I guess the peaceloving gangsta's chose not to kick up a fuss when it was their turn. EVERYTHING offends SOMEBODY...

The makers of the game must be rubbing their hands together with all this free press... when will people learn... honestly :rolleyes:

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
darkpenguin said:
there is the option to fight for the other side though, although it's not possible to win on the 'evil' side apparently!

Ah, so it's rigged too! Where's the fun in that? :p

evearael

I will not buy it. I do not believe it portrays Christian values. I really don't care if an adult plays it, and perhaps a handful of minors who are mature enough to handle it. I am not a Christian.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Djamila said:
"When asked about the Arab and Muslim-sounding names, Frichner said the game does not endorse prejudice. But "Muslims are not believers in Jesus Christ" -- and thus can't be on Christ's side in the game."

It just goes to show how little they know about either Islam or about Arabs.

I can't tell you how many times over the years I've had someone try to tell me that "allah" is not God, and then I posed the question to them: "Well, gee, I wonder why Christians in Syria pray to "allah" then?"

It's fun just to watch the reaction. Yes, I know I have a twisted sense of humour. :D