• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conversion

Flankerl

The one's I have been exposed to seem to have been indoctrinated with the idea that G_d chose them, like it or not

Like it or not?
Oh dear.

God chose us. Just because you refuse to read up on the matter to understand it doesn't mean your definition is the norm.

One day I watched a Jew shouting and arguing with the Creator like a teen ager, saying things that I would not dare to.

This totally happened guys!!!

Lately I have wondered how they can be the chosen, when most Christians say that you have to accept Jesus as the Christ to go to heaven and they do not at this time. Maybe when they see the Messiah, they will know him for what he is and that'll give them a pass?

Maybe it's just completely irrelevant what Christians think about Judaism.
But nope we can't have that, after all their entire Religion is build on it.

Now hearing that one can't convert to Judaism gives me the feeling that they see themselves as "(more) special", like in Animal Farm. Hope I am wrong.

LMGTFY

Ellen Brown

Like it or not?
Oh dear.

God chose us. Just because you refuse to read up on the matter to understand it doesn't mean your definition is the norm.

This totally happened guys!!!

Maybe it's just completely irrelevant what Christians think about Judaism.
But nope we can't have that, after all their entire Religion is build on it.

LMGTFY

OK, whatever.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Thanks for the clarification. Nicely done with the link (duckduckgo instructing how to search).

My Master taught us that "Sanathana Dharma" which originates in India can be followed by anyone, no criteria. It's between you and God, in which ultimately/essentially there is no difference between you and God. It seems a different point of view, different religion. Although I do see a similarity in use of words. "God Father, God Mother, God Child" I clearly also see in Sanathana Dharma. As my Master always addressed us as "embodiments of the Divine", so a "child of God", meaning "God is our Father and Mother". I'm glad to see also here in Judaism "unity in diversity". I love it when a plan comes together.

Segev Moran

Calm yourself, I'm not.

I have heard from many people that one can't convert to Judaism. This is demonstrably false. I would like to know where this notion comes from, if it has any historical backing, and why people still believe it.
Unlike other religions, to become a Jew, you have to follow and prove the will to follow many rules.
Anyone can become a Jew. its a question of accepting the jewish religion and practicing it.
The Jewish conversion in comparison to other religion is much more "complex" and demanding.
I can assume that is part of the reason why many think it impossible.
On that note, you can embrace the Jewish beliefs. no one will tell you you shouldn't.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
My guess it comes from their interpretation of Judaism. I was glad to hear that in Judaism they do not proselytize, because this always has the taste of "my religion is better" or your religion/belief/LackOfBelief is inferior.

Now hearing that one can't convert to Judaism gives me the feeling that they see themselves as "(more) special", like in Animal Farm. Hope I am wrong. I like the concept of "unconditional Love" and of "unity in diversity". But all are free to believe whatever they like, as long as they keep their belief to themselves and don't bother me with it. So I am fine if they believe that way, but it's not what I believe.
Some Jews are very racist towards non-Jews but that's not the norm. Jews are well-represented in civil rights movements for others, too. There's a lot of Jews who protest the oppression of Palestinians by the state of Israel, too. There's good and bad in all groups.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Unlike other religions, to become a Jew, you have to follow and prove the will to follow many rules.
Anyone can become a Jew. its a question of accepting the jewish religion and practicing it.
The Jewish conversion in comparison to other religion is much more "complex" and demanding.
I can assume that is part of the reason why many think it impossible.
On that note, you can embrace the Jewish beliefs. no one will tell you you shouldn't.

Thank you, that is very clear and makes more sense to me than what I read before. Feels good.

GoodbyeDave

Like it or not? Oh dear.
Surely there's an element of truth there? If a Christian stops behaving as a Christian, then they are an ex-Christian. If a Jew stops behaving as a Jew, that just makes them a bad Jew. Sorry Sigmund Freud, there's no way out!

Flankerl

Surely there's an element of truth there? If a Christian stops behaving as a Christian, then they are an ex-Christian. If a Jew stops behaving as a Jew, that just makes them a bad Jew. Sorry Sigmund Freud, there's no way out!

And somehow this inconveniences Gentiles.

It always amazes me how important we seem to be to the Gentiles.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
If a Christian stops behaving as a Christian, then they are an ex-Christian.
This is not true. If such a person believes in basic Christian dogma, he is a Christian no matter what he does. Christianity, like many religions, is based on beliefs. It would simply make him a bad Christian, but a Christian nonetheless.

Ellen Brown

This is not true. If such a person believes in basic Christian dogma, he is a Christian no matter what he does. Christianity, like many religions, is based on beliefs. It would simply make him a bad Christian, but a Christian nonetheless.

In confusion and disillusionment, it seems clear that backing away from "accepted" belief is proper, and is why I have been thinking of myself as an Abrahamic Religionist. Lately, it seems that is not backing far enough? In my searching, I wonder if a marriage between Science and Belief is the most rational position. However saying that Evolution is guided by an intelligence satisfies no one. Perhaps I will die in confusion?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
In confusion and disillusionment, it seems clear that backing away from "accepted" belief is proper, and is why I have been thinking of myself as an Abrahamic Religionist. Lately, it seems that is not backing far enough? In my searching, I wonder if a marriage between Science and Belief is the most rational position. However saying that Evolution is guided by an intelligence satisfies no one. Perhaps I will die in confusion?
Stop trying to put yourself in a box and believe what you like.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Calm yourself, I'm not.

I have heard from many people that one can't convert to Judaism. This is demonstrably false. I would like to know where this notion comes from, if it has any historical backing, and why people still believe it.
Good question. Rahab and Naomi weren't born Jews.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה

I would love to tell you that Judaism has all the answers. I cannot. The Talmud records debates between the sages where, despite all their efforts, no solution to an issue was clear and so they left the issue to be resolved when the messiah comes. Sometimes Judaism does not provide answers. Instead it provides just some really great questions.

I'm not going to tell you what to believe, what to trust. You're the only one who can determine that for yourself.

Ellen Brown

I would love to tell you that Judaism has all the answers. I cannot. The Talmud records debates between the sages where, despite all their efforts, no solution to an issue was clear and so they left the issue to be resolved when the messiah comes. Sometimes Judaism does not provide answers. Instead it provides just some really great questions.

I'm not going to tell you what to believe, what to trust. You're the only one who can determine that for yourself.

Thank you. Shalom.