• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conversion

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Calm yourself, I'm not.

I have heard from many people that one can't convert to Judaism. This is demonstrably false. I would like to know where this notion comes from, if it has any historical backing, and why people still believe it.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Calm yourself, I'm not.

I have heard from many people that one can't convert to Judaism. This is demonstrably false. I would like to know where this notion comes from, if it has any historical backing and why people still believe it.

I thought they can, they're just not bind by all Jewish laws.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
An urban legend? I am under the impression that it is not easy to convert to Judaism, and that they do not actively proselytize, but one can still convert. My guess this is to ensure that only serious people apply?

GoodbyeDave

Practicing the Jewish faith is a duty for those who are are born Jews, but not for anyone else. For the rest of us Judaism teaches that it's enough to observe the Laws of Noah.
Seven Laws of Noah - Wikipedia
In consequence, Jews were generally reluctant to accept converts — "Why are you doing this? You don't need to" — but they've never refused them. Traditionally, if you weren't marrying into a Jewish family, you were expected to lodge with one so as to learn how to live as a Jew, but I don't think that still goes.

spirit_of_dawn

I too was under the impression that most Jewish sects don't accept converts under the pretext that it is a religion for the Israelite tribe and non-Israelites cannot convert.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Calm yourself, I'm not.

I have heard from many people that one can't convert to Judaism. This is demonstrably false. I would like to know where this notion comes from, if it has any historical backing and why people still believe it.
The same is true for Hinduism ... a common notion that is demonstrably false. I'm not sure of origins, but certainly it's in the 'best' interest of those faiths that do promote conversion to perpetuate this idea. After all, if two groups meet, and the conversion can happen only one way, it's obvious which side will gain. Just sayin'. I also one time held the view you can't convert to Judaism, but thanks to the internet, and people like yourself, I no longer hold that false idea.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Practicing the Jewish faith is a duty for those who are are born Jews, but not for anyone else. For the rest of us Judaism teaches that it's enough to observe the Laws of Noah.
Seven Laws of Noah - Wikipedia
In consequence, Jews were generally reluctant to accept converts — "Why are you doing this? You don't need to" — but they've never refused them. Traditionally, if you weren't marrying into a Jewish family, you were expected to lodge with one so as to learn how to live as a Jew, but I don't think that still goes.

@Rival

I was thinking of this. Unless it is just frowned upon non-jews converting. One observant jew at a synague I visited was kinda rude with anyone who he perceived as christians. So, he didnt tend to my inquires. It could be just a personal thing.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I assume that some people may be genuinely confused by the fact that Judaism and perhaps Hinduism do not allow one to unilaterally decide to convert. The need to apply for acceptance and wait for approval is just too easy to misunderstand or mischaracterize into some form of closed doors policy.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
@Rival

I was thinking of this. Unless it is just frowned upon non-jews converting. One observant jew at a synague I visited was kinda rude with anyone who he perceived as christians. So, he didnt tend to my inquires. It could be just a personal thing.
Seems as though you just had a rough experience. There are salty people in every faith.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
@Rival

There is this as well. I know for a fact, due to personal experience, that some Christian groups are willing and eager to subsum the Jewish People into their numbers with various forms of misrepresentation and subterfuge.

It is only fair for Judaism to want discourage and reign in those voices.

Shad

Veteran Member
Calm yourself, I'm not.

I am assuming a racial context is at play given how much race has been involved with Judaism and Jews in the past and presently.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Calm yourself, I'm not.

Every time someone says Jews are a race it gives that impression.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I assume that some people may be genuinely confused by the fact that Judaism and perhaps Hinduism do not allow one to unilaterally decide to convert. The need to apply for acceptance and wait for approval is just too easy to misunderstand or mischaracterize into some form of closed doors policy.
There might be some particular sects within Hinduism (and maybe within Judaism, I wouldn't know) that do have closed doors.

Ellen Brown

Calm yourself, I'm not.

My experience has been that the Jews do not seek members and are firmly not Evangelical. There are several "denominations" of Jews. The one's I have been exposed to seem to have been indoctrinated with the idea that G_d chose them, like it or not. One day I watched a Jew shouting and arguing with the Creator like a teen ager, saying things that I would not dare to.

Lately I have wondered how they can be the chosen, when most Christians say that you have to accept Jesus as the Christ to go to heaven and they do not at this time. Maybe when they see the Messiah, they will know him for what he is and that'll give them a pass?

I wish you the best.

Tumah

Veteran Member
The Syrian Jewish community does not convert anyone. This was instituted by the leaders of their community to prevent assimilation. Some communities of laymen, in their ignorance, have taken this a step further as to not accept converts whatsoever. I recently heard a story of a convert in South America, whom the Rabbi had to sneak into the congregation because he knew that if the congregation found out, they'd fire him.

I don't know if it's makes sense to say that the entire misconception rests on the shoulders of one group, but even the 'Jews accept converts' rule has to have an exception.

Syrian Jews - Wikipedia

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Calm yourself, I'm not.

I have heard from many people that one can't convert to Judaism. This is demonstrably false. I would like to know where this notion comes from, if it has any historical backing, and why people still believe it.

My guess it comes from their interpretation of Judaism. I was glad to hear that in Judaism they do not proselytize, because this always has the taste of "my religion is better" or your religion/belief/LackOfBelief is inferior.

Now hearing that one can't convert to Judaism gives me the feeling that they see themselves as "(more) special", like in Animal Farm. Hope I am wrong. I like the concept of "unconditional Love" and of "unity in diversity". But all are free to believe whatever they like, as long as they keep their belief to themselves and don't bother me with it. So I am fine if they believe that way, but it's not what I believe.