• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conversion to Your Religion

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
My religion is illegal.
It is probably the origin of your religion.
I don’t suggest you convert. You will be disrespected, and possibly persecuted under the law.

I can’t even name it here.

Without it there would be no decent music, art would be the facile inoffensive interior design you purchase at homemaker stores, philosophy would be utterly banal, psychoanalysis would never have developed, there would be no effective and fast treatment for PTSD, a huge number of technological and scientific advances would not have been made and the best episodes of The Simpsons would not exist.

SNAFU.

Don’t ask.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
My religion is illegal.
It is probably the origin of your religion.
I don’t suggest you convert. You will be disrespected, and possibly persecuted under the law.

I can’t even name it here.

Without it there would be no decent music, art would be the facile inoffensive interior design you purchase at homemaker stores, philosophy would be utterly banal, psychoanalysis would never have developed, there would be no effective and fast treatment for PTSD, a huge number of technological and scientific advances would not have been made and the best episodes of The Simpsons would not exist.

SNAFU.

Don’t ask.

Is this the religion where the monthly dues are $4.20? (and yes, I am purposefully being obscure)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In your sampradaya, who makes the final determination that one is ready to be officially recognized as a Saivite Hindu? Are there prescribed guidelines other than that mentioned above?
The Guru, for entrance into the sampradaya. I'm not sure about being recognised as a Saivite Hindu. The tern Saivite Hindu goes far beyond my sampradaya. That would be far more vague, and there would be no authority accepted by all. Even my credentials wouldn't be accepted by all.

The prescribed guidelines would be to understand the basics through study. We have a course called the Master Course, correspondence, on-line. A devotee would have to pass the course, and still want to go through with. Most don't. So it's quite the screening process. the Master Course has evolved through the years. Back when I did it in the mid 70s it was a series of essay questions by snail mail correspondence. The essays were always prefaced by 'in your own words' to prevent intellectual regurgitation of material.

But yes ethical guidelines would apply after you hear about them. Until then, everyone starts with a clean slate.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Is this the religion where the monthly dues are $4.20? (and yes, I am purposefully being obscure)

In US currency, that covers part of it. Remember pounds shillings and pence ? That’s the ticket.
But yeah.

Although there are agencies that are coming around.

Some of the primary deities are now finally being acknowledged as mentally and physically therapeutic.

In the meantime, we endure the indignity of ignorant ridicule and persecution.

And right now, the most sacred heart of our religion is being burned down.

pearl

hat does it take to be officially recognized as a (insert name of your religion here)?

One seeking to convert to the Catholic Church must be approved to enter the RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults). After a conversation with a priest, or RCIA director, the person, known as an "inquirer," may seek acceptance into the Order of Catechumens, through the Rite of Acceptance. During this Rite, the inquirer stands amidst the parish community and states that he or she wants to become a baptized member of the Catholic Church. The parish assembly affirms this desire and the inquirer becomes a Catechumen. The catechumenate usually last a year ending at the Easter Vigil. The Rite dates back to the early 3rd century.
Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults

Metis can give more info as there are differences between parishes.

Last edited:

Wasp

In Islam you just have to say the shahada (in arabic) : "I witness there is no god but Allah and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah".

You can do it alone, it's ok because your first witness is God himself.
But better to go in the mosque if possible (not obligatory).
My understanding is you need a witness. A Muslims maybe? But the mosque not necessary - unless it's the only place to find a witness at.

Additionally, as soon as you identify yourself as a Muslim no Muslim can deny you being a Muslim. So there should be no gap whatsoever between becoming a Muslim and being accepted as a Muslim by other Muslims. In practice it may be different.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
My understanding is you need a witness. A Muslims maybe? But the mosque not necessary - unless it's the only place to find a witness at.

Additionally, as soon as you identify yourself as a Muslim no Muslim can deny you being a Muslim. So there should be no gap whatsoever between becoming a Muslim and being accepted as a Muslim by other Muslims. In practice it may be different.

If you are in a place where there's no muslims, no mosque what will you do ?
Today people have internet and can learn from their home about religion. What if they are in a place with no muslims ?
I've been told that God was the witness and it was enought.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Metis can give more info as there are differences between parishes.
Generally speaking, the rules are as you posted, but there can be exceptions under unusual circumstances, but they must be accepted by the bishop of that diocese.

BTW, pregnancy is not usually one of those exceptions that are allowed. I can speak from first-hand experience on that. OK, so I wasn't and still ain't a saint! :emojconfused:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
How difficult is it for someone of another religion or faith or someone of no religion to convert to your religion? What does it take to be officially recognized as a (Hinduism)?
Open gate. You say you are a Hindu. We accept it. There is no office to recognize it and no ceremony to precede it. Though we would like to know about your view? What general philosophy of Hinduism you like? How much you know about that? Is there anything that we need to clarify? Hindu variations are immense. From thousands of Gods and Goddesses to atheism. Most people who intend to convert may have some wrong perceptions about Hinduism. We would like that to be put right. Otherwise these will crop up later as dissatisfaction.

Wasp

If you are in a place where there's no muslims, no mosque what will you do ?
Today people have internet and can learn from their home about religion. What if they are in a place with no muslims ?
I've been told that God was the witness and it was enought.
If it's a must it's a must. Some even say saying the shahada isn't necessary so long as you believe in it. And if you can't speak and don't have hands I think that it is unnecessary. Anyway, I don't know, it's just what I've heard and in general if there's doubt if a witness should be present or not then it'd be better to have them.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I was reading a thread in which someone wished to convert to Judaism and that the process can take a couple of years and one has to be accepted into the religion. This got me wondering...

How difficult is it for someone of another religion or faith or someone of no religion to convert to your religion? What does it take to be officially recognized as a (insert name of your religion here)?

Unitarian universalist don't have the same personal values, we share the same purpose motivated by our personal values (and/or beliefs). As such all are welcomed. We have Christian protestant roots even though we protested against Protestant denominations. (Say that three times fast).

Conversion (not a good word) or a person's choice to stay or go without pressure, comes with dropping A Lot of biases and seeing people as they are without religious prejudice. There is no "you must stay" type thing.

Organizational wise, to be a voting member you need to sign a member book. It's not required. I come as a Friend.

The hardest part is leaving individual prejudice at the door. We're (not myself) are mostly white via history and a lot of churches still hold Christian norms. Once you get over culture shock and realize we're not Christian, among there things like "religion must be like.... Or it's not a religion", you'll experience more communal connection.

We don't convert. As a diverse church in a diverse world, stay, go, we welcome but don't imprison you.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Arya Samaj, for example will de-convert, accepting souls back who have temporarily gone astray so to speak.
Arya Samaj will convert other souls also not just the returning ones, they just have to recite the 'Gayatri Mantra'. Very helpful for men who would like to marry Hindu girls or women from other religions who would like to marry Hindu men. Recite 'Gayatri Mantra' three more times. Done. All taken care of in about half an hour.

Their motto is "Krinavanto Vishwam Aryam" (Make the whole world Aryan).
Where to you prefer irrational faith be placed if not in fairy tales?
Well, each philosophy has its explanation. They would readily explain it to you. If you do not like one, try another. They will have no problem if you chose some other strain of Hinduism. If you like none, then go ahead, choose some irrational faith.

Last edited:

InChrist

Free4ever
I don't consider that biblical Christianity is meant to be a religion involving joining a church, following certain rules or rituals. Rather, it is a personal, growing relationship with Jesus Christ, Creator of heaven and earth, which begins the moment one puts their trust in Him as their Savior and is born again as a new creation into new and eternal life.

amorphous_constellation

How difficult is it for someone of another religion or faith or someone of no religion to convert to your religion? What does it take to be officially recognized as a (insert name of your religion here)?

Well what I try to do is to open my mind to nature, to acknowledge it as sacred. If society did that we might last longer and be rewarded in the relationship. (where it is in charge, it's probably arrogant to think we are) If we don't, well then the human race might learn the hard way. Nature may just cut us out of the mix like it did other things. Every time we poison the air, the water, or the woods everything gets a little worse for us, and all the other gods don't seem to regenerate those things for you. Like in the amazon fires, potential plants that could cure diseases are probably going extinct as I type this. There's a recent video of someone hanging out with the last pair of rhinos from a certain species. There's nothing more you really have to learn, we can all see what's going on, and it's frankly I don't think you have to look in any kind of book to see it. I mean, I will read all books on religion I can, it is interesting, but the truth is something you can sense with your body and mind, here and now.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I don't consider that biblical Christianity is meant to be a religion involving joining a church, following certain rules or rituals. Rather, it is a personal, growing relationship with Jesus Christ, Creator of heaven and earth, which begins the moment one puts their trust in Him as their Savior and is born again as a new creation into new and eternal life.
But if one truly believes in the Bible, it's both.

Jesus and the apostles did not teach "Just do your own thing"-type of theology, and it says that "Jesus taught with authority...". And the word "church" (meaning "assembly") is used 109 times in the NT, so if it wasn't that important we certainly shouldn't expect it to be mentioned as much. BTW, "born again" is only mentioned once, if my memory is correct.

Also, the early Church had "rituals", namely observances like baptism and the partaking the Eucharist, plus more.

And "biblical Christianity" didn't exist back at the beginning because the "NT" only started to get written a couple of decades after Jesus was crucified, and the canon itself wasn't selected until the 4th century. That selection and the subsequent teachings was done by the Church itself.

rrobs

I was reading a thread in which someone wished to convert to Judaism and that the process can take a couple of years and one has to be accepted into the religion. This got me wondering...

It's pretty easy to become a Christian.

Rom 10:9,

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.​

Workman

UNIQUE

It will take Absolutely nothing..but a (Free-Will) choice... which will be the ‘difficult’ is on them..
Converted be not what it is but the ‘Letting go” is what it be.

“Whoever knows all, if he/she is lacking one thing, he/she is already lacking everything.”

they must first realise everything they know..they would have to ‘Let Go’..which FAITH will play a big part on doing this.

Realise this; after this life will be absolutely NOTHING there..Believe it Not!

The reason why they must let go is because what they know about NOTHING is not the whole truth. In fact..The Nothing Be Absolute True.

Nothing means ‘NO THING’ or Not a Thing[IT does NOT exist]..that is what it refers to..whereas the term ‘Everything’ is a referral to ‘all things’ that in [existence].

We Humans are not THINGS(Nothing)..would you not agree? Or do they still think they are everything(Things)?

if I was to ask you...do you know anything at all? What then will your response be? I know the majority would say..I know Everything.

Are You as a human being a thing?
Or no thing?
If you answer a thing(everything)..than you are only existing(in the mind). But if you say to me no thing(nothing) than you are ALIVE.

I would say..
I am the most wises person here for I only know one thing..ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!.and to them as ‘things’ would laugh at my response..but little do they not know...there be only NOTHING of the hereafter..
Will see who (IS) laughing by than.

Everything they know..they must let go..for it was forced unto you all..and by choice only you can choose not to.

First know the difference with the two..than you will see the difference in life.

Last edited: