• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conversion Ethics

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
I have placed this in the general debates section because it isn't only religions that preach and aim to convert others to their cause.

Is it ethical to preach and attempt to convert people who are in a bad place in their lives, who are in a fragile emotional state?

Examples of targets:
- someone who has lost a loved one in death
- a drug addict
- a person who has lost their job
- someone who has trauma because of abuse

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
If it's going to help the person put his or her life back together and get a handle on things, I don't really see why not. Only as long as it's genuine and lots of conversation has been had.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Preaching to and trying to convert people in such situations seems to be taking advantage of them.

You should *help* them by supporting them. It seems to be fine to say what works *for you* as a suggestion, but to use this to try to convert them seems disrespectful in my mind.

Let them heal, support them how you can, encourage them to find what works for them, but *they* are the ones that need to make the decision on what course of action to follow.

Such decisions are compromised by the stress of these events.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Couldn't you instead simply provide emotional and community support to that vulnerable person, to help them get back on their feet and live their own life, and let them come to your faith naturally? I feel like conversion would be superfluous when it's just about helping people, and when it's targeting vulnerable people the potential of it turning predatory seems fairly high.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I have placed this in the general debates section because it isn't only religions that preach and aim to convert others to their cause.

Is it ethical to preach and attempt to convert people who are in a bad place in their lives, who are in a fragile emotional state?

Examples of targets:
- a drug addict

If the person hasn't asked for help or advice, it seems rather rude and almost predatory. People in such states are psychologically fragile and susceptible to emotional appeals. Leave them alone, or simply offer your company or whatever support they ask for/need. If whatever you're selling is really worth it, then you should be happy to wait to chat with the person about it when they're in a clearer frame of mind.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Examples of targets:
- a drug addict
Personally i believe preaching to someone who suffering can turn the wrong way.
If the topic of faith is coming up, then yes its ok to speak about our own belief. But not pushing them to become like out self in belief:)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Preaching at someone who is vulnerable and making the preaching a prerequisite for help are a couple of the things i have against religion.

Either case can aggrivate the situation.

If however the victim wants to be preached to and believes it will honestly help them then no problem.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Examples of targets:
- a drug addict

I consider conversion attempts of any variety to be unethical, but to attack someone when they're vulnerable is worse than unethical, it's despicable.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Examples of targets:
- a drug addict
Yes on these. No on "convert and you get money, food etc. " Also no in trying to convert minors.
Reason: By this logic one should not try to deconvert an extremist or a person in a harmful cult when he is having a crisis of faith. Obviously there would be emotional trauma when a person questions his long held beliefs. If, at that point he is attracted to an alternative ideology why can't he be told about that?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Couldn't you instead simply provide emotional and community support to that vulnerable person, to help them get back on their feet and live their own life, and let them come to your faith naturally? I feel like conversion would be superfluous when it's just about helping people, and when it's targeting vulnerable people the potential of it turning predatory seems fairly high.

Yes. Preaching is an intrusion. Offering kindness in action to someone who is vulnerable is walking the talk. Then if someone ask why you are doing it or how you grew to be able to offer kindness and compassion, then sharing your path is appropriate.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.

Examples of targets:
- a drug addict

I don't know about "preach and convert" but if accepting Jesus into their life will help them heal (and it often does), why not? Nothing coercive, just sharing the Good News.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
It depends on the person, and situation, and their already held beliefs. It also depends on the person doing the 'preaching'. Its all fine and dandy to want to hold everyone to the same intellectual standard, but truthfully, we're not all equal in this department. If a person is preaching with good intent in their heart, and they really don't know any better(a few don't), I find it hard to hold a grudge against them. However, if they're preaching with any malice, any ulterior motives, or withholding something of value(food/financial assistance/companionship) from a person in need because of their desire to convert, they are no better than what my dog leaves in the backyard.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Examples of targets:
- a drug addict
Talk is cheap.
Buddhists have the most ethical way to proselytise. They live their lives to be an example to others. "Show, don't tell."

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes. Preaching is an intrusion. Offering kindness in action to someone who is vulnerable is walking the talk. Then if someone ask why you are doing it or how you grew to be able to offer kindness and compassion, then sharing your path is appropriate.
Some religions or adherents offer kindness with the hidden agenda of hoping the person will ask about faith. Not saying this is always the case, but it can be a ploy.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Some religions or adherents offer kindness with the hidden agenda of hoping the person will ask about faith. Not saying this is always the case, but it can be a ploy.

Sure. That's the operation of the lower self, personal ego.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
If it's going to help the person put his or her life back together and get a handle on things, I don't really see why not. Only as long as it's genuine and lots of conversation has been had.

Should a person believe a religion because they believe that it is the truth through objective means or just because of feelings?

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Preaching to and trying to convert people in such situations seems to be taking advantage of them.

You should *help* them by supporting them. It seems to be fine to say what works *for you* as a suggestion, but to use this to try to convert them seems disrespectful in my mind.

Let them heal, support them how you can, encourage them to find what works for them, but *they* are the ones that need to make the decision on what course of action to follow.

Such decisions are compromised by the stress of these events.

I agree.

That is why lots of dangerous cults choose people in vulnerable situations as targets because they are easier to indoctrinated through manipulation.