• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Convention of States - Article V

Clizby Wampuscat

So with the recent debt ceiling negotiations it is obvious that no one in in either party cares about limiting spending. Both parties basically agreed to adding $4,300,000,000,000 to the national debt over the next 2.5 years or so instead of cutting spending to pay the bills so to speak. We have a government that is not accountable to the people due to widespread corruption and greed in Washington not just on the budget issue. Inflation, crime, immigration for example are all issues that no one in congress is tackling. I think this is obvious. There have been proposed amendments to the constitution that would force politicians to be accountable to the people and increase our liberties. These include:

Proposals I think both parties can agree on:

Imposing term limits for congress at 12 years total.

Set supreme court justices at 9, justice term limits of 12 years and replace 3 justices every 4 years. Limit chief justice position to 6 years. 3/5th of the states can override a supreme court’s opinion if enacted within 24 months.

Budgets must be submitted to the president by congress each year on May 1st, if budget not enacted by congress and the President then an automatic 5% cut across the board is enacted, and that is the new budget. Budget must be balanced unless 3/5th of congress votes in times of emergencies to deficit spend.

All federal departments must be reauthorized every 3 years by individual authorization bills by majority vote of congress.

Revamp commerce clause to reflect original intent to prevent states from impeding commerce and trade not allowing the federal government to regulate commerce or force individuals to participate in commerce.

Make eminent domain illegal

2/3 of state legislatures agree on an amendment it becomes part of the constitution, bypassing congress and no convention of states is needed as described in article V.

Voter ID is required to vote.

I think most conservatives would agree on these:

Repeal the 17th amendment

No US citizen shall be taxed more than 15% of their income, no matter the source. Tax deadline is one day prior to federal elections.

I think most progressives would agree on these:

Revamp 2nd amendment

Abortion amendment

Since the Congress will never propose these by the process in Article V, a convention of states (COS) is required to force amendment to the constitution that bypasses congress. This is also described in article V. This gives power back to the states and the people when the federal government is not doing the will of the people and is generally corrupt. There is already a movement and 19 states have already passed a COS resolution, 34 states are required to pass resolutions to make the COS happen with many more having proposed resolution in their congresses. Then 38 states need to ratify and constitutional amendment from the COS to become part of the constitution.

What amendments would you propose?

exchemist

Veteran Member
So with the recent debt ceiling negotiations it is obvious that no one in in either party cares about limiting spending. Both parties basically agreed to adding $4,300,000,000,000 to the national debt over the next 2.5 years or so instead of cutting spending to pay the bills so to speak. We have a government that is not accountable to the people due to widespread corruption and greed in Washington not just on the budget issue. Inflation, crime, immigration for example are all issues that no one in congress is tackling. I think this is obvious. There have been proposed amendments to the constitution that would force politicians to be accountable to the people and increase our liberties. These include:

Set supreme court justices at 9, justice term limits of 12 years and replace 3 justices every 4 years. Limit chief justice position to 6 years. 3/5th of the states can override a supreme court’s opinion if enacted within 24 months.

Budgets must be submitted to the president by congress each year on May 1st, if budget not enacted by congress and the President then an automatic 5% cut across the board is enacted, and that is the new budget. Budget must be balanced unless 3/5th of congress votes in times of emergencies to deficit spend.

All federal departments must be reauthorized every 3 years by individual authorization bills by majority vote of congress.

Revamp commerce clause to reflect original intent to prevent states from impeding commerce and trade not allowing the federal government to regulate commerce or force individuals to participate in commerce.

2/3 of state legislatures agree on an amendment it becomes part of the constitution, bypassing congress and no convention of states is needed as described in article V.

No US citizen shall be taxed more than 15% of their income, no matter the source. Tax deadline is one day prior to federal elections.

Revamp 2nd amendment

Abortion amendment

Since the Congress will never propose these by the process in Article V, a convention of states (COS) is required to force amendment to the constitution that bypasses congress. This is also described in article V. This gives power back to the states and the people when the federal government is not doing the will of the people and is generally corrupt. There is already a movement and 19 states have already passed a COS resolution, 34 states are required to pass resolutions to make the COS happen with many more having proposed resolution in their congresses. Then 38 states need to ratify and constitutional amendment from the COS to become part of the constitution.

A massive investment in resourcing up the IRS to collect what it is owed.

A Financial Times article I read today said for every $ extra they would rake in $10. That's a pretty good return and would enable a lot more stuff to get done without increasing the national debt.

Republicans won't support that because it is their wealthy, lawyered-up donors who would have to cough up! :cool:

Clizby Wampuscat

A massive investment in resourcing up the IRS to collect what it is owed.

A Financial Times article I read today said for every $ extra they would rake in $10. That's a pretty good return and would enable a lot more stuff to get done without increasing the national debt.

Republicans won't support that because it is their wealthy, lawyered-up donors who would have to cough up! :cool:
So the dems don't have wealthy lawyered up donors?

Increasing funding for the IRS so they can collect more of my hard earned money is something I will not support. I owe them some taxes but not more than 15% in my opinion. We should get a bill every year for our taxes and a payment plan if needed. Taking it out of my labor income before I see it is unethical. We spend too much as a country and the IRS has been weaponized against citizens in the past. Less government is what we need not more.

So the mindset needs to change from Republican vs Democrat to the People vs the Government. The government only works for the wealthy in both parties. Less government leads to more liberty.

exchemist

Veteran Member
So the dems don't have wealthy lawyered up donors?

Increasing funding for the IRS so they can collect more of my hard earned money is something I will not support. I owe them some taxes but not more than 15% in my opinion. We should get a bill every year for our taxes and a payment plan if needed. Taking it out of my labor income before I see it is unethical. We spend too much as a country and the IRS has been weaponized against citizens in the past. Less government is what we need not more.

So the mindset needs to change from Republican vs Democrat to the People vs the Government. The government only works for the wealthy in both parties. Less government leads to more liberty.
Which party was objecting to increasing the funding of the IRS?

Clizby Wampuscat

Which party was objecting to increasing the funding of the IRS?
This is my point. Both parties are not working for us. The insistence on republican vs democrat has allowed them to get rich and gain power they should not have while reducing our liberty. The real battle is the people vs the government. Few governments ever freely gave up power. COS is a democratic and non violent way to gain back power for the people.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I owe them some taxes but not more than 15% in my opinion. We should get a bill every year for our tax
I guess it is a good thing that we don’t get to determine how much we individually pay.

As far as your things to agree upon, lol… I wouldn’t be in agreement. Each one is nearly a thread in itself. But maybe I would be in agreement with term limits for Congress….maybe.

Clizby Wampuscat

I guess it is a good thing that we don’t get to determine how much we individually pay.
I never said we should get to determine that individually.

As far as your things to agree upon, lol… I wouldn’t be in agreement. Each one is nearly a thread in itself. But maybe I would be in agreement with term limits for Congress….maybe.
No doubt each topic should be debated and defined more in detail. These are just summaries. Do you think the government is working well as is? What would you add as an amendment?

exchemist

Veteran Member
This is my point. Both parties are not working for us. The insistence on republican vs democrat has allowed them to get rich and gain power they should not have while reducing our liberty. The real battle is the people vs the government. Few governments ever freely gave up power. COS is a democratic and non violent way to gain back power for the people.
Well no, one party supports giving the IRS the resources to do its job and collect what is due. That is a service to society.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
So with the recent debt ceiling negotiations it is obvious that no one in in either party cares about limiting spending. Both parties basically agreed to adding $4,300,000,000,000 to the national debt over the next 2.5 years or so instead of cutting spending to pay the bills so to speak.

Where should we cut spending, in your view?

I don't really know that this would solve much.

Set supreme court justices at 9, justice term limits of 12 years and replace 3 justices every 4 years. Limit chief justice position to 6 years.

I don’t think SCOTUS justices need term limits. Their intention is not to be political appointments. Treating them like politicians just entrenches the problem of their politicization rather than solving it.

3/5th of the states can override a supreme court’s opinion if enacted within 24 months.

YIKES, no. Adjudicating court cases by political vote sets a terrible precedent.

Budgets must be submitted to the president by congress each year on May 1st, if budget not enacted by congress and the President then an automatic 5% cut across the board is enacted, and that is the new budget.

LOL oy, no. You think most Dems would agree to this stuff?

Budget must be balanced unless 3/5th of congress votes in times of emergencies to deficit spend.

Balanced budget legislating is mostly a right-wing bugaboo. It also would have serious negative economic effects:

Why 3 years?

Yikes - again you think most people not on the right wouls be in favor of preventing the federal government from ever regulating commerce?

As long as every citizen gets a free, easily accessible ID, sure.

Revamp 2nd amendment

Depends how.
Abortion amendment

Depends what it says.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Sounds good to me. You have seemed to be very far on the right but you might agree with someone on the left (the real, progressive left). Here's Cenk roasting Biden for his "compromises":

Do you agree with him?

Heyo

Veteran Member
I like the idea that you can't determine how much you pay but you can determine where your money goes.
I.e. you have to pay a certain sum depending on your income. You can then pay that money to the agencies or ministries you think needs funding most.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Where should we cut spending, in your view?
The military. The US outspends the ten next biggest spenders combined on that issue. With a reasonable military budget, you could have all the amenities the civilized world has like function health care and a social security system and still have money left to fix roads and bridges.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I like the idea that you can't determine how much you pay but you can determine where your money goes.
I.e. you have to pay a certain sum depending on your income. You can then pay that money to the agencies or ministries you think needs funding most.
I think this is one of those good in theory, not so well in practice ideas. If everyone had civil engineering education like @9-10ths_Penguin , we might be talking a different story, but there are a lot of things that make a city, let alone a country work, that others would be less likely to consider.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Revamp 2nd amendment

Abortion amendment

Remove corporations deemed as people.

Eliminate special interest and group lobbying.

Reform the practice of districting.

Mandate the electorate votes reflect the will of the people and not their own personal choice and remove the stipulations that qualify electorates to include common citizens and not just the elites.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"
Sounds good to me. You have seemed to be very far on the right but you might agree with someone on the left (the real, progressive left). Here's Cenk roasting Biden for his "compromises":

Do you agree with him?
I agree. The Republicans have moved far to the Right, and have been dragging the erstwhile "party of the people"-- the Democrats-- along with them. There is no longer a viable Left. Both parties have been captured by Big Business and the banking industry.
That said, by far the most egregious cheerleaders for Big Corporations, tax cuts, and wealth inequality are the Republicans.
Trump and G.W. Bush's tax cuts will have added added 1.7 and 8 trillion to the debt by the end of this fiscal year.
"Defense," Medical, Pharmaceutical, and Insurance industries are further gouging the Government out of many more trillions.
It seems to me we could easily cut debt and deficit if only these special interest, corporate complexes were regulated a bit.

From video:
"...if the mainstream media did its job..."
"...yet noone in the media noticed it? That seems a little bizarre."

Bizarre? not at all. Keep in mind that the Sherman Act and Fairness Doctrine are both dead, and the latest Telecommunications Act does essentially nothing to prevent media monopoly. The upshot is: almost all the paper, radio and TV media are now owned by three or four, far right, corporate monopolies. Our news is not 'fair and balanced'.

Last edited: