• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conundrum for the Democrat Establishment

averageJOE

zombie
It is pretty well accepted that Bernie Sanders was cheated out of the Democratic nomination for President in 2016. The super delegate system, delegates not elected by the people, but appointed by the party bigwigs, gave the nomination to Clinton.

The party said that this time around the process would be fair.

However, that idea has gone out the window.

Why? Because those who make the rules know that if the current front runner, Sanders, is picked by their people, he has absolutely no chance to beat Trump.

So, they threw out the rule about qualifying to participate in the debates, because they are pinning their hopes now on an almost 80 year old ex Republican billionaire, Bloomberg.

However, he was a disaster in his first debate, he could not hide behind his billions there.

They have a stable of 3 almost eighty year olds, Sanders, whom the party seems to want, but the party establishment does not. Biden, their hand picked antidote to Sanders, who is dropping faster than a greyhound bus entering a black hole, and Bloomberg, with the charisma of a sink filled with cold dirty dishwater who wants to buy the election.

So, in the end will they allow the democratic voters to select whom they want, apparently Sanders, or will they ram Biden or Bloomberg through.......................................Or, will they work for a brokered convention, where they might be able to retread hillary?

Biden or Bloomberg, as the nominee of the alleged party of youth and diversity, will be white guy's older than Trump.
The establishment Democrats first order of business is to make sure Sanders does not get the nomination. They would rather lose the White House to Trump again than win it with Sanders. And they will.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Trump didn't win or lose voters in isolation last time.
Hillary, being the greater of 2 evils, sent many in
his direction.
Remember that the campaign to win election is a
multi-player game. It's not solitaire...one must play
against the opposition.

I would generally agree with you. But if someone is still willing to vote for Trump after everything that has happened ever since he got elected, I don't think there is anything that anyone could say that would lead them the other way.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I would generally agree with you. But if someone is still willing to vote for Trump after everything that has happened ever since he got elected, I don't think there is anything that anyone could say that would lead them the other way.
It all depends upon who runs against Trump.
His opposition needs to understand that their hatred
of Trump isn't shared by others. Nor will assements
of his record be the same. So they cannot simply
presume that their rejection of Trump will be shared
by others.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
by others.
Fair point!

Koldo

Outstanding Member
by others.

Sure, but what could be said about Trump that would make people see him in a different light ? His actions and life have already been scrutinized and used up a political weapon for years. If all of that was not enough, what would be ? He has been attacked from all angles.

Trump would need to do something, from now until the election day, that would be highly heinous. Which is why I am saying that Trump would, by now, only lose voters if he messed up really badly.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sure, but what could be said about Trump that would make people see him in a different light ? His actions and life have already been scrutinized and used up a political weapon for years. If all of that was not enough, what would be ? He has been attacked from all angles.

Trump would need to do something, from now until the election day, that would be highly heinous. Which is why I am saying that Trump would, by now, only lose voters if he messed up really badly.
Not too long to the election now. So less opportunity for Trump
to mess up in a manner which hands the election to the opposition.
Democrats shouldn't strive to change views of Trump.
They must change views of the candidates they run.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
"I don't belong to any organized party-- I'm a Democrat".-- Will Rogers

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
If you loved the Soviet Union, then make certain you vote for Trump, who is clearly former Soviet KGB head Vladimir Putin's puppet.

And now the Soviets-- er, I mean Russians-- are at it again, and yet the Senate Pubs refuse to pass any legislation to try and safeguard our electioneering process that's been presented to Moscow Mitch.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but in my day we used to call people like that "traitors".

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Or,
The Democrats have to beat Putin and the Republicans in the race to the bottom.

They have to be even more heinous than Trump, in a way aimed at EC victory. Forget truth and democracy and constitutional law, get it done!

A combination of rich old white guy and a vicious politico, both prepared to lie as much as any TeaPartier, sounds like a better way to get universal health care accomplished than Bootygieg and his politically correct persona. Keep the Democratic Senators in their seats. And also Sanders.

First win the EC. Then do what you should.

I'd be perfectly fine with Bloomberg giving a speech, while behind him(just off camera) Hillary is silently mouthing Vince Foster to people in their way.
Tom

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Not too long to the election now. So less opportunity for Trump
to mess up in a manner which hands the election to the opposition.
Democrats shouldn't strive to change views of Trump.
They must change views of the candidates they run.

How would the Democracts make their candidates look better to a Trump voter?
If someone is willing to vote for Trump before they even get to know who will win the Democrats' primaries then that can only mean they either don't mind the failings or don't see any major failings on Trumps' part. If they don't agree with criticism about Trumps, why would they lend their ears to the flaunting of the other party ?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
How would the Democracts make their candidates look better to a Trump voter?
Some suggested promises....
- Make Obamacare better...cheaper & more efficient.
- No tax increases, but a structure which makes more sense.
- Cut spending where practical.
- Direct military spending more towards defense, & less towards policing the world
- Cut foreign military adventurism.
If someone is willing to vote for Trump before they even get to know who will win the Democrats' primaries then that can only mean they either don't mind the failings or don't see any major failings on Trumps' part. If they don't agree with criticism about Trumps, why would they lend their ears to the flaunting of the other party ?
I'd rather not assume a self-defeating hypothetical.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Some suggested promises....
- Make Obamacare better...cheaper & more efficient.
- No tax increases, but a structure which makes more sense.
- Cut spending where practical.
- Direct military spending more towards defense, & less towards policing the world
- Cut foreign military adventurism.

I'd rather not assume a self-defeating hypothetical.

I am sorry but what lead you to think a Trump voter would have a change of mind if those topics were addressed ?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am sorry but what lead you to think a Trump voter would have a change of mind if those topics were addressed ?
I thought about what I & some other Trump voters would like to see.
You don't need to win favor from them all....just the few percent of
voters who could go one way or the other.

Oh, I'd also add....
- Better but reasonable border security. This is cuz Dems have
created an image that they oppose any security. Right or wrong,
that image needs correcting....ideally with sincerity.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Nobody needs to change any Trump supporters minds.

He lost the 2016 election. Millions more Americans voted for Clinton. Get out the vote in enough places to win in 2020. By whatever means necessary.
What difference does it make how much lying and cheating and law breaking gets done? None!
The new president can hand out pardons and rule by executive order.

This is now the Trump era. Who would you rather have win the race to the bottom, Trump-Pence or Bloomberg-Clinton?
Which is the lesser of two evils?
Tom

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I thought about what I & some other Trump voters would like to see.
You don't need to win favor from them all....just the few percent of
voters who could go one way or the other.

Oh, I'd also add....
- Better but reasonable border security. This is cuz Dems have
created an image that they oppose any security. Right or wrong,
that image needs correcting....ideally with sincerity.

Some clarification is due: By Trump voter, I don't mean people who have voted for Trump in the last election, but rather those that if asked will tell you they have already decided to vote for Trump in the next election.

Considering what you have said so far you don't seem to match that description.

I would wager that people that have already decided to vote for Trump even before the Democrats primaries is over don't give much weight to those points you have mentioned. At least not to the degree they would care enough to have a change of mind.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Nobody needs to change any Trump supporters minds.

He lost the 2016 election. Millions more Americans voted for Clinton. Get out the vote in enough places to win in 2020. By whatever means necessary.
What difference does it make how much lying and cheating and law breaking gets done? None!
The new president can hand out pardons and rule by executive order.

This is now the Trump era. Who would you rather have win the race to the bottom, Trump-Pence or Bloomberg-Clinton?
Which is the lesser of two evils?
Tom

Holy geez.
To be completely honest with you, I don't know. Judging by character and personality alone, I would definitely prefer BloomHill winning. But other than that I am afraid of what might come out of that.

shmogie

The forest is shrinking but the trees keep voting for the axe. The axe is clever and has convinced the trees that because their handle is made of wood, they are one of them.

Billionaires are not your friends. And Bloomberg is as of the swamp as Trump. And only makes USA great for the rich, and a third world country for everyone else.
Wow, I am far, far, far from being a billionaire, in fact, I am a thousandaire. Yet, I don't think I live in a third world country.

shmogie

Or, and I know this borders on Sci-Fi, maybe the Dems, knowing they can't win, will try to make the election look rigged in favor of Trump. Then, with incendiary rhetoric and useful idiots, they will instigate and initiate a revolt against Trump, his supporters, and the US in general to achieve a massive and deeply ingrained power position that a simple election can't produce. And, in case you're wondering, I am an unrepentant over thinker and dang proud of it!
Well, they have already started the leaks, alleged from some congressional briefing, that the russians are working to have Trump re elected. Wow, I think I have heard this before.

You would think they would be on the side of the geezer communist, he could really destroy the US, without the comrades having to lift a finger.

SoyLeche

meh...
Well, they have already started the leaks, alleged from some congressional briefing, that the russians are working to have Trump re elected. Wow, I think I have heard this before.

You would think they would be on the side of the geezer communist, he could really destroy the US, without the comrades having to lift a finger.
Are the Russians even all that communist anymore?