• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Control

Thief

Rogue Theologian
well......well......

a topic that no one cares to address

that's a new one for me

Skwim

Veteran Member
Okay, I'll jump in.

If there's such a thing as the next life our actions would be controlled by the same force that controls them now: determinism. Cause and effect.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Okay, I'll jump in.

If there's such a thing as the next life our actions would be controlled by the same force that controls them now: determinism. Cause and effect.

ok.....but will that be you determining the next action?
or Something Greater dealing the next action on you?

I do agree.....cause and effect

Skwim

Veteran Member
ok.....but will that be you determining the next action?
or Something Greater dealing the next action on you?

I do agree.....cause and effect
It will be me and all attendant outside causes, whatever they may be.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
What determines whether or not a person is in control? Most certainly some folks have far more control over their lives than others.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I don't think we will need a cart...or a horse..... to get to where we are going

and in the scheme of superlatives......there is most likely an Almighty

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't think we will need a cart...or a horse..... to get to where we are going
If you’re having trouble with the idiom, then I can make the same point directly: it’s pointless to be asking who controls the afterlife when you haven’t even established that there is an afterlife.

and in the scheme of superlatives......there is most likely an Almighty
We were talking about the afterlife, not God.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
If you’re having trouble with the idiom, then I can make the same point directly: it’s pointless to be asking who controls the afterlife when you haven’t even established that there is an afterlife.

We were talking about the afterlife, not God.

please note op

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Right. My point is that you're begging the question. "Who is control of the next life" is moot until we can say that there is a "next life" to control.
that is a different topic

I might assume at this point.....you won't deal with the possibility

you don't believe in the next life
and could it be.....you won't
because there would be Someone Greater than you.....in control

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
that is a different topic

I might assume at this point.....you won't deal with the possibility
The time for me to deal with it is when I see a good case for why it's even a reasonable possibility. Until then, I've filed the idea of an afterlife with - and given it no higher priority than - any number of other unsupported outlandish claims.

you don't believe in the next life
and could it be.....you won't
because there would be Someone Greater than you.....in control
Nope. I don't believe in it - or your "Someone Greater" - because I've never seen a good reason to do so.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The time for me to deal with it is when I see a good case for why it's even a reasonable possibility. Until then, I've filed the idea of an afterlife with - and given it no higher priority than - any number of other unsupported outlandish claims.

Nope. I don't believe in it - or your "Someone Greater" - because I've never seen a good reason to do so.
hmmmm

so...for the sake of continuing the thread......
you would have no One standing over you after your last breath
you simply refuse
even if you're wrong and the afterlife was waiting for you

?????