• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Contrary to Biblical History: Canaanites are alive and well

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidFirth

We have to shout, when the reader has no brains to speak of.

The bible is and remains MYTH, until someone PROVES OTHERWISE.

And yes-- I am talking down to you-- why do you ask?
Your comment is duly noted.

Also of note: STILL NO PROOF that the bible is NOT myth.

I'm still waiting for you to prove it is myth like I asked you to.

We have shown you that yes indeed there is archaeological evidence that at least some of the Bible is the truth. You sound like you have a hate problem more than anything else. Did some Christian do something terrible to you? Do you blame God for some problem in your life?

Bob the Unbeliever

I asked to prove your allegations. Surely you can, you seem so sure the Bible is just a mythical book, shouldn't be hard to prove. So stop pussyfooting around and prove it.

One More Time, With Feeling (and dancing):

YOUR BIBLE IS YOUR CLAIM. IT IS AUTOMATICALLY MYTH-- UNTIL YOU PROVE OTHERWISE.

DavidFirth

One More Time, With Feeling (and dancing):

YOUR BIBLE IS YOUR CLAIM. IT IS AUTOMATICALLY MYTH-- UNTIL YOU PROVE OTHERWISE.

Well, what do you say about the archaeological evidence found that confirms much of the Exodus account in which the remains of cities have been found that would otherwise not have been found if it weren't for the fact that they are right where Exodus says they would be?

Bob the Unbeliever

I believe that is one way to tell it isn't fabricated.

You claim that inconsistency is proof that it .... wasn't fabricated?

How does that work, exactly?

Let's look at it from a different slant:

The bible is supposedly inspired by a Single Being, by One True God, who supposedly commands his followers to write down the Godly Commands and such.

Now-- if that WERE the case? We would expect extreme consistency-- being as the source was a single being.

Moreover, if said being was All Powerful? Could it not Take Steps to maintain this extreme consistency?

The ensure the Purity Of the Godly Message?

Since, according to all the advertising, it's so fecking Important-with-a-capital-I?

Is this not the Responsibility of said Deity? To be sure the Message is not Polluted?

But that's not the case, is it?

No-- there is no Single, Pure Message. None. Nada. Null-set. All so-called "godly" messages are in conflict-- some to an extreme (such that wars were fought).

I rather expect a feking God to act.... Godly.

It is literally the very least It could Do.

Bob the Unbeliever

Well, what do you say about the archaeological evidence found that confirms much of the Exodus account in which the remains of cities have been found that would otherwise not have been found if it weren't for the fact that they are right where Exodus says they would be?

WHAT "evidence" would that be?

All the actual archaeology I have examined? PROVE TO 100% THAT EXODUS COULD NOT POSSIBLY HAVE HAPPENED AS ADVERTISED.

As for finding cities? In the novel, Harry Potter? London's location is quite clearly described....

According to YOU? Harry Potter is REAL!

DavidFirth

WHAT "evidence" would that be?

All the actual archaeology I have examined? PROVE TO 100% THAT EXODUS COULD NOT POSSIBLY HAVE HAPPENED AS ADVERTISED.

As for finding cities? In the novel, Harry Potter? London's location is quite clearly described....

According to YOU? Harry Potter is REAL!

You just made my ignore list. You really should see a good psychiatrist about your obvious issues. God bless you.

Socratic Berean

Occasional thinker, perpetual seeker
Proving existence of person or place is not the same thing as proving plot.
Archaeological evidence supporting the historicity of some accounts captured in some of the 66 books of the Bible is the topic under discussion, not any plot. Did I miss a sub-thread?

I thought currently they are thinking Tut's death mask was just a mask of Nefertiti with her son's beard plastered on at the last moment. There is also evidence that a sealed tomb near Tut's is hers.
She remains unlocated.

"A group of archaeologists has said the tomb of Tutankhamun may hold a hidden chamber containing the tomb of Queen Nefertiti. So far, radar scans have failed to confirm such a chamber." (Possible 'Hidden Chamber' in King Tut's Tomb Invites More Secretive Scans by Owen Jarus, Live Science, February 16, 2017)

True, but ask what the Jewish calendar year currently is.
This is another extrabiblical source, the result of interpretations. If you take issue with the Jewish calendar system and its claims, so be it, but Genesis makes no such claims.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
STILL not proof the bible is NOT MYTH.
The question concerns the content of the Bible, not the veracity of its claims. Your objection is irrelevant.

LOL! I love it when a bible-worshiper has no clue how their idol (bible) was constructed.
Before you belittle others and accuse them of ignorance, you should be darn sure you know what you're talking about first. You are wrong about Constantine and Nicaea. Wilfully wrong.

Yes. And you continue to fail to present any. Facts, that is.
But I have, you just refuse to look.
  1. The biblical narrative acknowledges that the Canaanites continued to exist.
  2. Constantine had nothing to do with establishing any biblical canon.
  3. The First Council of Nicaea was convoked in order to address Arianism and formally affirm the full divinity of Christ, again having nothing to do with establishing any biblical canon.
You don't know what you're talking about.

Magus

PROVE TO 100% THAT EXODUS COULD NOT POSSIBLY HAVE HAPPENED AS ADVERTISED.

There was actually an 'Exodus' of people coming out of Egypt, during the time of Ramses III (aligning with the fake biblical chronology) but there is ONE problem , those people are called PALASAT that is 'Palestinians' (Mycenaean Sea people) , whom were chased out of Egypt, into Southern Canaan.

This is why the Bible states, 'Egypt begat Palestine' ( Gen 10 )

Christians and Jews hate Palestinians, so they will automatically deny it, for they wanna kill them all, so they can recreate the Land of Israel ( but without a King) and build a temple to evoke the second coming (or First coming, as Messianic Jew people believe).

Kelly of the Phoenix

Archaeological evidence supporting the historicity of some accounts captured in some of the 66 books of the Bible is the topic under discussion, not any plot. Did I miss a sub-thread?
The idea is that proving a town location is true makes the bible true, unless I missed a subtle distraction.

She remains unlocated.
Admittedly, the Egyptian government doesn't want to open the sealed tomb.

Magus

Christians and Jews are simply jealous, that the Ancient history of Egypt and it's Kings are well preserved, where-as, they are no Tombs of King David of Solomon, Abraham , Isaac or Jacob or any evidence for the temple of Solomon, else, why don't they open up the Tomb of David-Solomon-Abraham-Isaac.

Socratic Berean

The idea is that proving a town location is true makes the bible true, unless I missed a subtle distraction.
I am puzzled about the source of this idea, which is not stated or implied in the post you commented on--a post focused on archaeologically supported historicity of some parts of some books within the canon, not whether or not the Bible is true.

Admittedly, the Egyptian government doesn't want to open the sealed tomb.
You may want to read the article that I cited. The National Geographic team's findings are that there is no chamber, no tomb, attached to Tut's. The Egyptian government, based on shaky evidence, supports the idea that there may be a chamber (it's good for tourism), but they have no idea what any such chamber may hold, no evidence that it could be a tomb, let alone the tomb of Nefertiti.

Socratic Berean

Christians and Jews are simply jealous, that the Ancient history of Egypt and it's Kings are well preserved, where-as, they are no Tombs of King David of Solomon, Abraham , Isaac or Jacob or any evidence for the temple of Solomon, else, why don't they open up the Tomb of David-Solomon-Abraham-Isaac.
Magus - I'm puzzled by your continued focus on attacking the Old Testament/Torah by listing undiscovered tombs, given the number of famous people through history whose final resting place remains a mystery (as I noted and provided a short list on in our previous exchange).

Are you aware of the number of Egyptian rulers, across the dynasties, whose tombs remain undiscovered? For many Egyptian rulers we have less information than we do for the Jewish forefathers you mention; indeed, for a good number we only have a name and, sometimes, even that is disputed by Egyptologists.

"Modern lists of pharaohs are based on historical records: Ancient Egyptian king lists and later histories, such as Manetho's Aegyptiaca, as well as archaeological evidence. Concerning ancient sources, Egyptologists and Historians alike call for caution about the credibility, exactitude and completeness of these sources, many of which were written long after the reigns they report.[2] An additional problem is that ancient king lists are often damaged, inconsistent with one another and/or selective." (Wikipedia)

Magus

Abraham lived to the age of 175 , therefore he never existed..

Ramses II died at the age of 90 , His body is kept at the Cairo museum.
*Christians and Muslims believe he (a 90 year old pensioner) was chasing Hebrews into the red sea then drowned.

Socratic Berean

There was actually an 'Exodus' of people coming out of Egypt, during the time of Ramses III...but there is ONE problem , those people are called PALASAT that is 'Palestinians' (Mycenaean Sea people) , whom were chased out of Egypt, into Southern Canaan.
This is an interesting idea. From what sources are you deriving this?

...'Exodus' of people coming out of Egypt, during the time of Ramses III (aligning with the fake biblical chronology)
Why do you believe that the final analysis of biblical chronology has settled on Ramses III? Many scholars argue for Ramses II, there are interesting arguments supporting Amenhotep I, and there are proponents of Amenhotep II.

This is why the Bible states, 'Egypt begat Palestine' ( Gen 10 )
I cannot find this passage in Genesis chapter 10. Am I missing it? Can you verify the book and chapter and supply the verse? What translation are you using?

Christians and Jews hate Palestinians, so they will automatically deny it, for they wanna kill them all, so they can recreate the Land of Israel ( but without a King) and build a temple to evoke the second coming (or First coming, as Messianic Jew people believe).
Many Christians do not subscribe to the idea that a temple must be rebuilt before Christ returns; your argument is not whole. Messianic Jews hold Jesus to be the Messiah (they are not awaiting the First Coming); your information is incorrect.

Magus

This is an interesting idea. From what sources are you deriving this?

The Sea people are well documented, if you actually read any Ancient Egyptian history instead of reading one book.

Why do you believe that the final analysis of biblical chronology has settled on Ramses III? Many scholars argue for Ramses II, there are interesting arguments supporting Amenhotep I, and there are proponents of Amenhotep II.

Ramses II, a 90 year King, did not drown in the red sea, proof, his body and during the time of Ramses II, people where going INTO Egypt, the Sea people.

I cannot find this passage in Genesis chapter 10. Am I missing it? Can you verify the book and chapter and supply the verse? What translation are you using?

Gen 10:4 Philistim - Φυλιστιιμ - פְּלִשְׁתִּי
( Can you read English, Hebrew and Greek ? )

Many Christians do not subscribe to the idea that a temple must be rebuilt before Christ returns; your argument is not whole. Messianic Jews hold Jesus to be the Messiah (they are not awaiting the First Coming); your information is incorrect.

Messianic Jews don't hold Jesus is the Messiah, hence they would be Christians, but, they are ever-waiting the return of King Cyrus in the future, that will never happen.

Nope. Not the **christian** bible. It was fabricated out of myths and other fairy tales in roughly 300 ACE, by Constantine's little pet committee.

Or did you conveniently forget that fact?

LOL! I love it when a bible-worshiper has no clue how their idol (bible) was constructed.

Too funny!

Might want to check your #alternativefacts.

If you are criticising others for believing in myths, it's not a good look to spread myths of your own, especially when you could find out the truth with minimal effort. Constantine did not create the Bible. That is a fact.

Socratic Berean

The Sea people are well documented...
Magus - Surely you understand that your comments in this thread are far from mainstream and somewhat esoteric. I have asked you before (when you argued that cyclops are really circumcised men, etc.) for sources for your interesting ideas, and you dodged the request then too (along with several other questions). Can't you share with us from where you are coming up with this stuff? If it is mostly your personal analysis of disparate sources, that's fine and equally interesting...just say so and end the suspense.

Ramses II, a 90 year King, did not drown in the red sea, proof, his body and during the time of Ramses II, people where going INTO Egypt, the Sea people.
Thank you for this additional nugget, but you (again) did not answer my question.

Gen 10:4 Philistim - Φυλιστιιμ - פְּלִשְׁתִּי
I've looked in 14 different English translations (including everything from the lesser known YLT and HCSB to more common NIV and KJV) and "Egypt begat Palestine" is not in any of them; in fact, there is nothing even close. The ESV reads "4 The sons of Javan: Elishah, Tarshish, Kittim, and Dodanim." Is Egypt begetting Palestine your interpretation of this passage? How does "Philistim" (in the Greek and Hebrew) relate to "Egypt begat Palestine?")

Messianic Jews don't hold Jesus is the Messiah, hence they would be Christians, but, they are ever-waiting the return of King Cyrus in the future, that will never happen.
You seem to be a little confused with this term. Here's the definition of Messianic Jews from Wikipedia:

"Messianic Judaism believes that Jesus is the Jewish Messiah and "God the Son" (one person of the Trinity), and that the Hebrew Bible, Old Testament, and New Testament are all authoritative scriptures.[12][13][14][15] Salvation in Messianic Judaism is achieved only through acceptance of Jesus as one's savior,[8][13][14][15][16][17] and Jewish laws or customs which are followed do not contribute to salvation.[16][17] Belief in the messiahship of Jesus, his power to save, and his divinity are the defining distinctions between Christianity and Judaism.[18][19][20][21][22][23] Other Christian groups usually accept Messianic Judaism as a form of Christianity.[24]"

Status
Not open for further replies.