• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Contradictions in the Bible

Good-Ole-Rebel

So a lie that I use that does not originate from me is not my lie and therefore I am not a liar? So if someone makes a lie about the Bible and I put it forward, I am not a liar? If I promote the lie of someone else as the truth, then I am not a liar? Well,, Senator, I think you have stumbled onto something here.

Concerning God, there is Truth and the lie. The lie exists already. God brings the Truth. To those who reject that Truth, then He gives them the lie.

God uses satan the same. satan does what he does because of his desire to be as God. His motive is always against God. Yet, God uses him also. satan desired to kill the Son of God, yet played into God's hand.

God will send the lie. That doesn't make God the liar. The liar are those who rejected the Truth.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

Some creationists are "liars by proxy". They have the excuse that they do not know what they are repeating is a lie. They could claim not to be liars. The problem is that @Good-Ole-Rebel 's God is omniscient. He does not have the excuse of not knowing. For him sending a lie is lying.

God is omniscient. He does know. He isn't lying. He is sending the lie to those who reject the Truth.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

I noticed that my point, supported by scripture, was not addressed nor was the false claim, about my view of God, retracted. Creationist horses were just swapped midstream.

So far, I see two different creationist positions here. One is that the contradictions do not really exist and the claim they do is based on confusion or incomplete analysis. The other, held by @Good-Ole-Rebel, is the contradictions do exist, but they are placed there by God for those that do not accept Him to see. The former claim does not hold water, because the criteria used to claim that most would be cleared up, is flawed and fails most of the time. The latter claim is against scripture itself and actually supports the claim that the contradictions exist. Creationists are fascinating in the rationalizations they concoct.

Apparent contradictions do exist because the revelation is from God. Had the Bible been written to the perfect logic and understanding of man, it wouldn't have been from God. It would have been from man.

Shows that man would never write such a book.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

Just a change of subject, i dont want to continue the old.

Very well. I told you I would look at (1 Kings 7:23). Nothing is said of 'pi' there. The description given in (1 Kings) I fully believe. That will not set with your 'pi'. I believe the Scripture.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Workman

UNIQUE
Sorry, I read that too quickly and thought I saw " It is all about the CRETIN". :D

O don’t be..
I already knew..

Your name says it all!..I used your name for it..thank you doe!..

It was told..not for you!
But yet FROM you..so I Am YET the one whom sorrows.

Like I had said; I Work always in ORDER!..

And the ORDER is..
To find your truth means..
You must find all the lies..
THIS IS IN(In the beginning) ORDER!..
If you are not in order..than you are out of order; your living in LIES!..

Well!..surely!..you can do the math..

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
How can a book, a non-living thing claim anything?
Your quoted text was created by one living person, but that person was at the time not at all referring to the biblical scripture collection we know now because at that time that specific collection of texts did not exist and on top of that you cannot be sure what in reality the author was referring to.

So the discussion becomes a useless one.

How people can believe in an old unsubstantiated book boggles the mind.

All I can say is the standard of believability is extremely low with these people. There's no capacity for skepticism or critical analysis and it's clear it's all based on base emotion.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Apparent contradictions do exist because the revelation is from God. Had the Bible been written to the perfect logic and understanding of man, it wouldn't have been from God. It would have been from man.

Shows that man would never write such a book.

Good-Ole-Rebel
Only a perfect god would write an imperfect book. Gee, that makes sense doesn't it. :rolleyes:

Audie

Veteran Member
How people can believe in an old unsubstantiated book boggles the mind.

All I can say is the standard of believability is extremely low with these people. There's no capacity for skepticism or critical analysis and it's clear it's all based on base emotion.

Oh now maybe there is! We have a fine test available.

Can they do critical analysis?
Let our literal folks try to make a circle 30 units
around, and 10 across!

They are welcome to try it over and over and over and over.

We eagerly await the miracle, if they can do it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yes, the one that would happen for sure is the second one, with God. No problem there.

Good-Ole-Rebel
Once again that is only your belief and the more you post here it appears that it is only your fantasy.

Think about it, you have to base your belief on a failed book. The Bible is far from being the "word of God" unless you want to claim that is God is an immoral and incompetent hack. It really is a pity that you cannot see that you describe him in this fashion almost every day.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Doesn't say God lies. Says God sent a lying spirit to those who rejected the Truth.

Good-Ole-Rebel

And your version of God is omniscient. He knew what he was doing. Therefore he lied.

In the real world if a man hires a hit man to kill someone else he is guilty of first degree murder even if he did not pull the trigger. Your God was much more in control of the action. You are claiming once again that God is a liar.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
But even then, we certainly can't say that most "ancient scientists" thought the earth was flat. Eratosthenes (276-195/4 BCE) managed a fairly good (for the time) estimate of the circumference of the earth, knowing, as he did, that it had a circumference. He made the (quite good) assumption that the sun's rays striking the earth were essentially parallel (another really good guess), and then measuring the angle of incidence a known distance apart north-to-south. (He also pretty accurately described the tilt in the earth's axis.

But we are not discussing scientists at all. We are talking about the writers of the Bible. That they were ignorant of the Earth's shape is not an insult to them at all since they did not have the time or perhaps even the ability to reason it through. Many inland peoples rarely see any evidence for a spherical Earth and they are likely to misinterpret it if they have no training. I am not saying "look at those ignorant fools". Their ignorance was understandable and reasonable. It was a common belief in that area at that time. But one would think that if the Bible were the "word of God" that at least the shape of the Earth could be made clear There would be no climbing tall trees to see all of the Earth, or Satan taking Jesus high up on a mountain to see all of the Earth. The excuse that "those were visions" does not fly because if they were visions why go up?

Workman

UNIQUE
I love my work!..

Thou I laughed at thine enemy!..

But thy enemies loved thine back at me!..With thou hate..and kept up with me..with their hate..they loved me so much that they kept falling..

For it!..

You can not out play the Devil..for you don’t see it..

I Know HIM...and HE now knows ME well.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I love my work!..

Thou I laughed at thine enemy!..

But thy enemies loved thine back at me!..With thou hate..and kept up with me..with their hate..they loved me so much that they kept falling..

For it!..

You can not out play the Devil..for you don’t see it..

I Know HIM...and HE now knows ME well.
I don't think you have any enemies here, but there may have been some laughter.

Workman

UNIQUE
I don't think you have any enemies here, but there may have been some laughter.
I think that you are..is not the same!
That I know that you are!

It is alrighty..once I did tell you, and still!..when you don’t know!..they hide themselves behind laughter!..but what they don’t know they become so good at it..they themselves became the ‘jokers’..

But i will let you finish it (off) with an excuse..for that is whom you think wins..by excuses!..

I don’t have one..so than (off) you go!..

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
Very well. I told you I would look at (1 Kings 7:23). Nothing is said of 'pi' there. The description given in (1 Kings) I fully believe. That will not set with your 'pi'. I believe the Scripture.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Ok so you believe it is possible to make a circle 10 units across, and 30 around. Try it!

If you can, you will be famous, because you can perform
a miracle.

You may as well try to make a circle 2 ft across,
and a mile around.

I wonder how it can be that you'd rather believe
the physically impossible, than to accept that
maybe the numbers given are approximations?

How about these numbers?

31 Moses and Eleazar followed the Lord’s instructions 32-35 and listed everything that had been taken from the Midianites. The list included 675,000 sheep and goats, 72,000 cattle, 61,000 donkeys, and 32,000 young women who had never had sex.

These are exact, perfect, no error or approximation?

675,000 sheep. NOT 675,001, or 674, 972!

Everything they took had to be in even multiples
of 1000.

Really?

exchemist

Veteran Member
I did in fact do some research to come up with the 50/50 figure. It's just how it is. Now I understand that most of what we know to be wrong were things from hundreds, if not thousands, of years ago. After all, scientists thought the earth was flat at one time. That would be included in the 50% wrong column. But is it right to think that in our modern time we have arrived at the apex of scientific knowledge? I would guess that is exactly what the flat earth scientists thought in their day. And yes I understand that we continue to learn and perfect our ideas. The scriptures mention something about that:

2Tim 3:7,

Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
Perhaps I should not have brought up the whole science thing anyway. It really has nothing to do with the OP, but things definitely have a way of going sideways in forums. I try to avoid it, but sometimes I just forget myself.

Do you have any comments on the actual content of the OP? Why might any of the points I mentioned not be helpful in clearing up apparent contradictions in the Bible?
When did scientists think earth was flat? Eratosthenes already knew it was spherical in 300BC.

Bear in mind there were extremely few scientists in any modern sense until William of Ockham and Roger Bacon laid the foundations of empiricism in the c.14th. If you include, as you seem to want to, all the alchemists, druids and witchdoctors back to the Bronze Age as scientists, you are including a mass of ideas that nobody serious would class as science at all.

I certainly agree we have no way of proving that what we think we know today is definitively right, but then science would never make such a claim. Science makes models of the physical world that us enable us to predict what to expect from it. There is no claim to ultimate truth in science - all is provisional. But from your weak reply to my question, I am forced to conclude that your 50:50 ratio is simply made up by you, completely arbitrarily, and has no real basis.

You and I can continue to pursue the issues raised by the OP in our other posts. But I am not letting you get away with introducing bogus and misleading statistics about science. You have no business doing that.