• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Contradictions in the Bible

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Ah, now I see what you mean. I guess I did equate purity means truth. But is such an assertion not justifiable? How about this:

John 17:17,

Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
So God's words are both pure and true. So after further consideration it turns out I was right. Yeah for me! :)

I might suggest you study the scriptures with the same astuteness with which you study my posts. I think you would be good at it.
what is "God's word"? It clearly cannot be receding to the New Testament there.

Audie

Veteran Member
I don't know what you are trying to say. I see you like to use this quite alot. So, could you explain it. If it boils down to some numbers of science disagreeing with some numbers in the Bible, as I have said, I do not use science to interpret the Bible.

Good-Ole-Rebel

You do know what Pi is, right?

1 Kings 7:23 King James
And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about.

So we have a ratio of 3:1 for circumference to diameter

This is actually impossible.

do you understand that?

Audie

Veteran Member
How so?

Good-Ole-Rebel

Your response was nothing like the problem
I posed.

You are in court.
You choose to tell the judge a lie.

The judge tells you it is a lie,
that you are a perjurer (liar).

You say, "No, I am not a liar. I sent
you a lie, for lo, it is what you wanted to hear.
But I am not a liar."

How well do you think that would work out?

sooda

Veteran Member
I don't know what you are trying to say. I see you like to use this quite alot. So, could you explain it. If it boils down to some numbers of science disagreeing with some numbers in the Bible, as I have said, I do not use science to interpret the Bible.

Good-Ole-Rebel

The Bible has been redacted and amended... combining stories from Judah, Israel, Egypt, Sumer, Babylon and the Ugarit.. Its just not worth killing people over.

Good-Ole-Rebel

You do know what Pi is, right?

1 Kings 7:23 King James
And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about.

So we have a ratio of 3:1 for circumference to diameter

This is actually impossible.

do you understand that?

I know of it but am not that familiar with it's use. All I can say is I believe (1 Kings 7:23). But, I will try and look into it. Your claim of it being impossible is no deterrent to me in believing it.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

Your response was nothing like the problem
I posed.

You are in court.
You choose to tell the judge a lie.

The judge tells you it is a lie,
that you are a perjurer (liar).

You say, "No, I am not a liar. I sent
you a lie, for lo, it is what you wanted to hear.
But I am not a liar."

How well do you think that would work out?

I see. It wouldn't work for me here. But I am not God. God does not lie, but He does send the lie when Truth is rejected.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Audie

Veteran Member
I know of it but am not that familiar with it's use. All I can say is I believe (1 Kings 7:23). But, I will try and look into it. Your claim of it being impossible is no deterrent to me in believing it.

Good-Ole-Rebel

By all means look it up.

It is not "my claim" that pi cannot equal 3.
It is like the fundamental structure of the universe.

You may be a practical sort of guy.
Try measuring a cubit. Use any modern
device you like.

How accurate do you think your measurement is?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I never said I was. 'If'.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Actually you said this:

"If I am ever brought before a human court of law to answer for my theology, I will say that. When I stand before God, I will say the same. One I may never experience. One I will surely experience."

You could know if you were due to appear before a court, there is no way that you could know that latter. You still do not know the difference between knowledge and belief.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Actually you said this:

"If I am ever brought before a human court of law to answer for my theology, I will say that. When I stand before God, I will say the same. One I may never experience. One I will surely experience."

You could know if you were due to appear before a court, there is no way that you could know that latter. You still do not know the difference between knowledge and belief.

I said 'if' which means I have no court date at present.

Good-Ole-Rebel

exchemist

Veteran Member
Ah, now I see what you mean. I guess I did equate purity means truth. But is such an assertion not justifiable? How about this:

John 17:17,

Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
So God's words are both pure and true. So after further consideration it turns out I was right. Yeah for me! :)

I might suggest you study the scriptures with the same astuteness with which you study my posts. I think you would be good at it.
Oh I have no quarrel with the idea that God's words should be both pure and true. But awkwardly, there is also at least one passage in the bible that says God lies, drawn to my attention by @Good-Ole-Rebel , namely 1 Kings 22: 20-23. Or maybe we should see this as lying by proxy, like the Mafia boss telling his hitman to kill someone rather than doing it himself, so it's OK?

But none of these is saying the bible is God's word and has to be taken verbatim. That is my point.

As for my own view, I rather incline to St John's ... "the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us..."

It seems to me perfectly ridiculous to take, for example, a semi-mythologised history of the Jews, as recited in Kings, as "the word of God" and therefore all literally true. It is an offence against reason to do that.

Last edited: