• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Contradiction

huajiro

While posting on someone else's thread....I had an interesting thought. My philosophy is not to affect anyone else (any living being) in a negative manner. Because of this, I really try to avoid conflict with others. I have no problem however, with defending oneself against attacks, or revenge for attacks.

Does this make me a hypocrite?

I honestly have thought about this a lot. I am very vengeful, and I would like to change it, but it is a very strong instinct I have.

Crystal Red

Episkopos Crystal Red
No, that's what I do, I don't ever start on anyone, but I will never back down to physical abuse. I will try as much as possible to avoid it, but if someone hits me you can be sure I'll hit them back, the only way to respond to someone who must resort to such things to solve things is, to put it lightly, to beat the hell out of them.

Fluffy

A fool
I believe that revenge is hypocritcal in itself not because it does not agree with your other beliefs.

Is it a bad thing to be a hypocrite?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Not a hypocrite, at all.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'revenge', though. Do you mean attacking their religion/ beliefs in return? (If so, I'm afraid it's a perfectly natural instinct. I've had to fight against it myself.)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
huajiro said:
While posting on someone else's thread....I had an interesting thought. My philosophy is not to affect anyone else (any living being) in a negative manner. Because of this, I really try to avoid conflict with others. I have no problem however, with defending oneself against attacks, or revenge for attacks.

I honestly have thought about this a lot. I am very vengeful, and I would like to change it, but it is a very strong instinct I have.
I don't know if it makes you a hypocrite or not, but it does make you a lot like me. Anyone posting on this forum would be hard-pressed to find an example of my ever going on the offensive. I just never do that. No matter how strongly I feel that someone's beliefs are wrong, I am just not confortable attacking them or trying to back the individual into a corner. I would actually much prefer civil conversation to a nasty argument, so I never, ever go looking for a fight. When people attack my beliefs, however, as frequently happens, I can get downright vicious in defending them. Most of the time, if a person makes a critical statement about my beliefs (particularly if it's not only critical, but false and/or misleading), I will respond civilly, and do my best to correct the misinformation. I love debate, but if harrassed and insulted continually by the same individual, I almost always end up losing my cool at some point. And when that happens, it's SO NOT PRETTY! I guess, when it gets right down to it, I treat people pretty much the same way they treat me.

Kathryn

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Sorry,

but when I see an injustice, I GO ON THE OFFENSIVE. Not that any of you have noticed that in me. :D

As for reciprocating tit for tat, that does nothing for me. Revenge is not for me, but I don't feel that I could ever call someone who DID believe in it a hypocrite. You are a complex being Huajiro and there is no fault in that.

Note to self: Don't ever cross Haujiro! :D

Cynic

huajiro said:

If you didn't, people would see that as gullibility, and take advantage of it. It's not hypocritical, it's the logical thing to do when necassary.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Everyone is a hypocrite , to a degree . :) I am not here to preach , yet I too find myself doing just that . It is a part of discussion . Life is never black and white . { see , I'm preaching again :) } . That is why I try to stay away from labels like " hypocrite ". Try , but again , it isn't that simple at times .

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
huajiro said:

I would go even further than you; My philosophy is not to affect anyone else (any living being) in any manner. If they choose to listen to what I say or do, and take it on board, that is their choice.

I am often quick to defend myself though - and probably more so because I somehow imagine people will treat me the way I treat them; maybe just that atitude is hypocritical in itself.......:)

huajiro

Fluffy said:
I believe that revenge is hypocritcal in itself not because it does not agree with your other beliefs.

Is it a bad thing to be a hypocrite?
I guess not, I just feel bad that I am actually non-violent.....until someone attacks me or my family....then, I am very violent.

huajiro

FeathersinHair said:
Not a hypocrite, at all.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'revenge', though. Do you mean attacking their religion/ beliefs in return? (If so, I'm afraid it's a perfectly natural instinct. I've had to fight against it myself.)
I am capable of returning physical violence without a problem....I wonder if I should be more passive.

huajiro

Katzpur said:
I don't know if it makes you a hypocrite or not, but it does make you a lot like me. Anyone posting on this forum would be hard-pressed to find an example of my ever going on the offensive. I just never do that. No matter how strongly I feel that someone's beliefs are wrong, I am just not confortable attacking them or trying to back the individual into a corner. I would actually much prefer civil conversation to a nasty argument, so I never, ever go looking for a fight. When people attack my beliefs, however, as frequently happens, I can get downright vicious in defending them. Most of the time, if a person makes a critical statement about my beliefs (particularly if it's not only critical, but false and/or misleading), I will respond civilly, and do my best to correct the misinformation. I love debate, but if harrassed and insulted continually by the same individual, I almost always end up losing my cool at some point. And when that happens, it's SO NOT PRETTY! I guess, when it gets right down to it, I treat people pretty much the same way they treat me.

Kathryn
Dont most religions stress that we should not lower ourselves, even if provoked? Arent we supposed to show an example, even if we are attacked (example: turn the other cheek)?

I am having trouble with this.

huajiro

NetDoc said:
Sorry,

but when I see an injustice, I GO ON THE OFFENSIVE. Not that any of you have noticed that in me. :D

As for reciprocating tit for tat, that does nothing for me. Revenge is not for me, but I don't feel that I could ever call someone who DID believe in it a hypocrite. You are a complex being Huajiro and there is no fault in that.

Note to self: Don't ever cross Haujiro! :D
LOL, I am trying to improve though :)