• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Contradiction in the Qur'an.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Tell ya what. I summarized the qur'an in chronological order. Below is what I wrote about surah 9. It should tell you everything you need to know about how I saw it. Enjoy:

Surah 9, the penultimate chapter, is next. It is not internally compiled in chronological order, but I am going to summarize it as though it were. Therefore, I will be starting with verse 38. According to Islamic scholar and author, Sayyid Abul Ala Maududi, this surah contains three sections. The first verses chronologically (38-72) deal with Mohamed's preparations for the expedition to Tabuk, where he expected to battle Byzantine forces. The second section (73-129) was revealed after his return, with the third (1-37) coming at the time of the second Hajj.

Again Mohamed found himself having to rouse the reluctant bedouins (hypocrites) to risk their lives for "the cause of God". Justification for attacking the Byzantines is a matter of debate that would only distract from this summary, so I will leave that discussion for another time. It is enough for now to know that Mohamed's plan to fight the Byzantines is the context for these verses:
- 38-39 indicate that Mohamed had gained little ground in convincing the bedouins to fight, but that he was still willing to refer to them as believers in the hope of coaxing them into joining the impending battle, "You who believe, what is the matter with you, that, when you are asked to go forth in the cause of Allah, you cling heavily to the earth?". (This is another example in which "go forth in the cause of God" is clearly used to describe fighting.) The established pattern of following cajoling with threats is shown here, "Do you prefer the life of this world to the Hereafter? ... If you do not march for His cause, He will afflict you with a painful punishment and replace you by another nation". Again we see where a specific circumstance yielded a statement (underlined) of universal applicability.
- 41 provides another irrefutable link between fighting and the word 'jihad' as it refers to being armed, and because it was revealed in the context of fighting the Byzantines, "Go forth, light-armed and heavy-armed, and strive [jihad] with your wealth and your lives in the way of Allah".
- 42 Accuses the hypocrites of only being interested in easy spoils, "Had it been an easy gain and a moderate trip, the hypocrites would have followed you, but distant to them was the journey".
- 43 is the first half of another blatant contradiction, "May Allah pardon you [Mohamed]. Why did you give them [hypocrites] permission to remain behind?". The Qur'an then refutes itself in verse 46 by claiming it was God, not Mohamed, who allowed them to stay behind, "Allah disliked their being sent [because of their obvious lack of preparation], so He kept them back".
- 44-45 again use 'jihad' to describe fighting, and calls those who refuse to fight disbelievers, "Those who believe in Allah and the Last Day would not ask permission of you to be excused from striving [jihad] with their wealth and their lives ... They only ask leave of you [to be excused from fighting] who do not believe in Allah and the latter day".
- 47-48 explain why God (or Mohamed?) held them back, "Had they marched out with you, they would have added to you nothing except disorder ... Indeed they had plotted sedition [fitnah] before".
- 49 quotes the hypocrites begging God to "Grant me leave [to be exempted from Jihad] and put me not into trial", then goes on to tell them that not only is it too late for forgiveness, but that they have lost their status as 'believers', and are now considered to be among 'al kafarina' (disbelievers), "Surely, they have fallen into trial. And verily, Hell is surrounding the disbelievers".
- 50 is another nail in the spiritual coffin of the hypocrites, "If good befalls thee [Mohamed and the Muslims], it grieves them; but if a misfortune befalls thee, they say, 'We took indeed our precautions before', and they turn away rejoicing".

God's frustration with the hypocrites comes to a head in verse 52, as He threatens them with violence because of their refusal to fight and die for Him, "Say [to the hypocrites, Mohamed], 'Are you waiting for us [Muslims] to achieve one of the two rewards most fair [victory or martyrdom]? We are awaiting in your case too, for God to visit you with chastisement. from Him, or at our hands; so await; we are awaiting with you'".

Anyone who thinks God might be done lecturing the hypocrites has not been paying attention. In fact, the next 18 verses are dedicated to listing their short-comings. I see no point in quoting each one, but suffice it says they are called liars, abusers, cowards, ungrateful, mockers, deniers of the truth, devoid of all virtue, apostates, greedy for charity, and of course, bound for the fires of Hell.

Verses 71-72 end this series by reminding the faithful that God has not forgotten about them:
- 71 "The Believers, men and women, are protectors of each other: they enjoin what is just, and forbid what is evil: they observe regular prayers, practise regular charity, and obey Allah and His Messenger".
- 72 "Allah has promised the believing men and believing women gardens beneath which rivers flow".

continued ...

Did not answer the question. Let me cut and paste the question.

You quoted a verse here, and that's what I responded to in this particular case.

1. In this Surah, who exactly is it talking about and why is this "fighting" prescribed?
2. Which particular group are you supposed to quarrel with if any?

Any one who has read the Surah, just the plain text would tell you these two things.

stevecanuck

You quoted a verse here, and that's what I responded to in this particular case.

1. In this Surah, who exactly is it talking about and why is this "fighting" prescribed?

Any one who has read the Surah, just the plain text would tell you these two things.

I gave you my assessment of the entire surah. If that's not good enough for you, then too bad. Go troll someone else.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I gave you my assessment of the entire surah. If that's not good enough for you, then too bad. Go troll someone else.

Ad hominem is not good argument.

I didnt ask for some summery. I asked for simple two questions since you cut and pasted a cherry picked verse for shock effect which may work with others who have not read the Quran but are also cut and paste artists.

Since you didnt answer, here are the questions.

Shakeel

Yes, in war muslims can kill but only as self defence, outside of war i would say no we should not kill or harm others.
Muslims can kill in war, generally speaking. It isn't just for self-defense. And the jihad of the sword is also not just for self-defense.
I do not judge others for their action.
Here we go again... Should I remind you of:
The terrorists are not true Muslims
Yet, sins do not put a person outside the fold of Islam.
and i do think that to harm others show that one still holds a form of ego.
And a form of ego keeps you sane.
to accept once faith no matter what happen without harming others is in my understanding a better way to be a muslim
It is your duty to defend yourself and your family. If it requires harming someone then that's what you have to do.
Since i see the teaching of Islam as an internal (inward) path i do not hold any individ in this world as enemies, the only enemy i do have is my own ego.
35:6 "Indeed, Satan is an enemy to you; so take him as an enemy. He only invites his party to be among the companions of the Blaze."

Is your ego satan?
I don't believe a just war should be about unadulterated conquest. War is far from ideal, but it is sometimes necessary. What Muslims did after the demise of Muhammad (pbuh) should not necessarily be taken as representative of the ideals of Islam.
They continued doing what the Prophet (ﷺ) instructed them before his death. The first battle after his death was under his orders, for instance.
I do not see killing as a right thing to do. But i do not go against Allah and his law.
You object to his commands.

Clara Tea

Surah 9 was created at the time of Mohamed's expedition to Tabuk. Much of the surah is dedicated to his fruitless efforts to get the Hypocrites to fight alongside him.

Verse 9:43 says, (Mohsin Khan translation): "May Allah forgive you (O Muhammad SAW). Why did you grant them leave (for remaining behind, you should have persisted as regards your order to them to proceed on Jihad), until those who told the truth were seen by you in a clear light, and you had known the liars?".

This leaves no doubt that Allah thought it was Mohamed's fault that the Hypocrites stayed back because he didn't try hard enough to get them to join his army.

Then 9:46 admits that it was actually Allah, not Mohamed, who was responsible for them not joining the fight, "And if they had intended to march out, certainly, they would have made some preparation for it, but Allah was averse to their being sent forth, so He made them lag behind".

This is a clear contradiction. Comments?
If they march in a circle, they would be the alpha and omega (beginning and end).