• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Context is King

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
"When you take the TEXT out of CONTEXT you are left with nothing but a CON"

Yay or Nay?
I agree with one here.
And it should be preferably around or near to the sentence/verse "X" being discussed, some verses/sentences preceding "Y"** and some verses/sentences following "also Y"**, please?
Right friend, please?

Regards
AS mentioned by our friend @firedragon in post #1 in the thread
Muhkam Verses and Muthasabih verses in the Quran.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
I agree with one here.
And it should be preferably around or near to the sentence/verse "X" being discussed, some verses/sentences preceding "Y"** and some verses/sentences following "also Y"**, please?
Right friend, please?

Regards
AS mentioned by our friend @firedragon in post #1 in the thread
Muhkam Verses and Muthasabih verses in the Quran.

Agreed. I would even say that the whole book must be read otherwise even a chapter could be taken out of context.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Agreed. I would even say that the whole book must be read otherwise even a chapter could be taken out of context.

This is a world where people cherry pick one single word, or/and even a small sentence, from a verse, and use that to propagate a completely non-contextual theory. In this world, context of the book is a big ask, but I also think it is definitely a hell of a must. :)

I have seen lately many claim "I have studied all the scripture" very confidently but have not even read a single chapter. Its a strange world.

Peace brother. I agree with your statement.

Altfish

Veteran Member
And an EXPERT if you break it down is Ex = former - Spurt is a drip of water under pressure

So what??

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Especially as it applies to the Bible, or any good novel.

I've read the bible, in fact I've read 3 different versions of the bible. From start to end as one would read any other book.

The number of Christians who tell me that i should not read it that way, that i am wrong in reading it that way is really an eye opener.

It does go a long way to help me realise why so many Christians cherry pick from the bible.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
um...
How does KING fit into it?

The phrase "Context is King" means that context is the most important aspect of a piece of writing. A big reason is that because if you take the context out of a sentence, you can misrepresent the author and make the sentence mean anything you want.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Especially as it applies to the Bible, or any good novel.

Yes. Especially when it comes to the Bible. Many people tend to believe doctrines based off proof texting, which is hopping from unrelated scripture to unrelated scripture in order to prove a point.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
This is a world where people cherry pick one single word, or/and even a small sentence, from a verse, and use that to propagate a completely non-contextual theory. In this world, context of the book is a big ask, but I also think it is definitely a hell of a must. :)

I have seen lately many claim "I have studied all the scripture" very confidently but have not even read a single chapter. Its a strange world.

Peace brother. I agree with your statement.

I find that problem as well. This is why I like asking people to summarize the context of the book they are proof texting to see whether they know what they are talking about and respecting the text. I find that in many cases people are linking unrelated scripture to unrelated scripture, when in fact their interpretation of a text doesn't match the context.

I often do this with Proverbs 4:18 in the Bible, where I have come across people using the scripture to say that doctrine should change over time, when in fact it is only referring to someone's behaviour.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I find that problem as well. This is why I like asking people to summarize the context of the book they are proof texting to see whether they know what they are talking about and respecting the text. I find that in many cases people are linking unrelated scripture to unrelated scripture, when in fact their interpretation of a text doesn't match the context.

I often do this with Proverbs 4:18 in the Bible, where I have come across people using the scripture to say that doctrine should change over time, when in fact it is only referring to someone's behaviour.

Thats interesting.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
I've read the bible, in fact I've read 3 different versions of the bible. From start to end as one would read any other book.

The number of Christians who tell me that i should not read it that way, that i am wrong in reading it that way is really an eye opener.

It does go a long way to help me realise why so many Christians cherry pick from the bible.

That is crazy though. I personally have not come across Christians who say that you shouldn't read the book that way, but I am not surprised.

pearl

Yes. Especially when it comes to the Bible. Many people tend to believe doctrines based off proof texting, which is hopping from unrelated scripture to unrelated scripture in order to prove a point.

While ignoring how the seemingly unrelated, relate to the whole.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
That is crazy though. I personally have not come across Christians who say that you shouldn't read the book that way, but I am not surprised.

I won't name names but there are several RF users guilty. I often think they believe the bible was written using a time machine to flit from one passage to another