• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

contact with a supernatural being?

MNoBody

Two Questions:
  1. What would you call a person who is in contact with a demonic supernatural being? What type of person would attract a daemonic being?
  2. And what would you call a person who is in contact with a heavenly supernatural being? What kind of person would attract a heavenly being?
I ask because I am in contact with a supernatural being but can’t be sure whether it’s demonic or heavenly

It's got to be one or the other, surely?

I asked how to tell the difference, in this thread: Heavenly beings or Satanic beings? but I still don’t know, in spite of some helpful answers

But in this thread I'm not asking about the difference, I'm asking about what people think contact with a supernatural being (be it heavenly or daemonic) makes me - or would make anyone else, for that matter

Some say there is no difference, but I think I disagree on that, I think there is a difference between a daemonic and a heavenly being and that there is a conflict between the daemonic and the heavenly. I personally want to be on the heavenly side!

I would therefore welcome a heavenly spirit but want to shun a daemonic spirit

And yes, I'm aware of the belief that heavenly spirits no longer communicate with people, but I've debated that in another thread not long ago, so let's not do that again here :)
could you elaborate on "being in contact" with such a being.....
how does this being contact you and what do they do or say to let you conclude this is some supernatural event?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Two Questions:
  1. What would you call a person who is in contact with a demonic supernatural being? What type of person would attract a daemonic being?
  2. And what would you call a person who is in contact with a heavenly supernatural being? What kind of person would attract a heavenly being?
I ask because I am in contact with a supernatural being but can’t be sure whether it’s demonic or heavenly

I asked how to tell the difference, in this thread: Heavenly beings or Satanic beings? but I still don’t know, in spite of some helpful answers

But in this thread I'm not asking about the difference, I'm asking about what people think contact with a supernatural being (be it heavenly or daemonic) makes me - or would make anyone else, for that matter

Some say there is no difference, but I think I disagree on that, I think there is a difference between a daemonic and a heavenly being and that there is a conflict between the daemonic and the heavenly. I personally want to be on the heavenly side!

And yes, I'm aware of the belief that heavenly spirits no longer communicate with people, but I've debated that in another thread not long ago, so let's not do that again here :)
I would call such a person imaginative.

However I would view that person as being convinced in their own mind they are in contact with whatever being they like. Same goes if the person thinks it's heavenly or not.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Has anyone else seen it? Heard it? Have you caught it on video?
It is unseen, like the wind or gravity

I experience it as a thing that touches my body in response to my inner voice - where and how it touches me can mean different things

If it could be caught on video then I don't think it would be supernatural :D

But I think it once made another person's hand twitch (long story)

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
could you elaborate on "being in contact" with such a being.....
how does this being contact you and what do they do or say to let you conclude this is some supernatural event?
I experience the being in question as a thing that touches my body in response to my inner voice - where and how it touches me can mean different things

It's a long, long story

I believe it is supernatural as it cannot be explained by natural sceinces or rationally observed

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
It is unseen, like the wind or gravity

I experience it as a thing that touches my body in response to my inner voice - where and how it touches me can mean different things

If it could be caught on video then I don't think it would be supernatural :D

But I think it once made another person's hand twitch (long story)

I'm not going to continue here as this is not a debate section. If you'd like to chat further about it, feel free to PM or start a debate thread.

Nimos

Is there a third option you can think of?

The way I see it, is that it's God vs. Satan - only two factions

Unless you have some other idea?
It could be anything as far as I am concerned.

Just wondering how you reached the conclusion that these are the only two option and what makes them more likely than anything else?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
It could be anything as far as I am concerned.

Just wondering how you reached the conclusion that these are the only two option and what makes them more likely than anything else?
Yes, I understand differently now thanks to what has transpired in this thread

So I no longer believe there are only two possibilities

Have taken onboard what someone else has said

Treasure Hunter

Are you familiar with ‘The Parable of the Talents’?

14 “For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted to them his property. 15 To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. 16 He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them, and he made five talents more. 17 So also he who had the two talents made two talents more. 18 But he who had received the one talent went and dug in the ground and hid his master's money. 19 Now after a long time the master of those servants came and settled accounts with them. 20 And he who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five talents more, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me five talents; here, I have made five talents more.’ 21 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ 22 And he also who had the two talents came forward, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me two talents; here, I have made two talents more.’ 23 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ 24 He also who had received the one talent came forward, saying, ‘Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you scattered no seed, 25 so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here, you have what is yours.’ 26 But his master answered him, ‘You wicked and slothful servant! You knew that I reap where I have not sown and gather where I scattered no seed? 27 Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I should have received what was my own with interest. 28 So take the talent from him and give it to him who has the ten talents. 29 For to everyone who has will more be given, and he will have an abundance. But from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away. 30 And cast the worthless servant into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’
See, the servant who was given one talent didn’t like being judged and bullied by the tyrannical master, so he decided that he wasn’t going to participate in the task that the master expected of him. Instead, this servant buried his talent and imagined himself to be in a grand story of good and evil. He constantly indulged himself with this story, discussing it with whoever would listen. Well, the master cast this servant into outer darkness just the same.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
So, in your opinion, to what extent do beings who are from other-worlds interact with people in this world?

Almost constantly.

Part of this conclusion is because I take a broad view of the otherworlds rather than limit myself to one particular cultural understanding of them. Any and all realms often deemed "fictional" are otherworlds. At any time we engage with "fiction" we are engaging with the otherworlds and its denizens. And humans love their stories, so we do this almost constantly. Unlike most in my surrounding culture, I take these "imaginary" realms seriously as a dimension of reality (the otherworlds). What the otherworlds "really are" is a complicated question that ultimately has no answer, just like we don't technically have an answer to what the "real world" really is either. The answer we come to is shaped by our culture.

Whether or not these dimensions are "really real" though is a question I find irrelevant.
I can experience and know them; if I can experience and know something in any way, that's real and it exists. It doesn't exist in the same way that the chair I'm sitting on does, but it still very much impacts me and those around me. In a way, it is about respecting the power of ideas, imagination, and story. What I experience may or may not be more than that, and I don't really care if it is or it isn't. Considering competing narratives are at the heart of all our values and our ways of life, I personally find taking it seriously sensible than the dismissive "but it's just imaginary" attitude that often prevails. It lets me be more mindful of my interactions and derive more joy from them. :D

Is it plausible that one may chose to communicate with a person?

If so, what type of reasons may it have for doing so?

Just like interactions in the apparent world or "real world," interactions with the otherworlds vary a lot and I've had different experiences. It's not something I talk about a lot for a couple of reasons. One, it's very personal; two, taking the otherworlds seriously is routinely mocked or demonized by mainstream culture. In another culture and another era, I'd probably have been pulled as the village shaman, no doubt about it; but in this culture? Urgh. I just generally don't talk about it at all because it causes more problems than it's worth. One of the reasons I latched on to Paganism when I discovered it in my 20s was in no small part because that community was accepting of the otherworlds and experiences with them.

Long story short, I suppose from a certain point of view one could say I've had contact with both "angels" (a "spirit guide" as some call it) and "demons" (a war god, as I experienced it), but that's just now how I frame things in my worldview. Both came in response to life events and needs I had at the time. Both can be worked with given experience and trust in yourself. "Angels" always have your best interests at heart. They are in service to you and your "highest good" as some New Agers like to put it. "Demons" require more caution. They push boundaries, which is empowering and a catalyst for change, but operate more on their interests than yours.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I suppose there could be eternal beings somewhere. Every spiritual thing I think hinges on the idea that intelligence can only come from intelligence. Thus eternal beings that always existed is not out of the question.

As to the nature of eternal beings I suppose some could be angelic, and some could be militant and mean spirited!

But an evil demon would have to be a created being. Evil is not natural nor is it convenient. Evil is perversion. The idea of coming into contact with any eternal being, or demon is probably zero to none possible.

Usually people get feelings of presences that they conjure up to be such things. The brain can fool you with what it allows you to experience! That's a reason why I don't like some religions. I would say if it doesn't reach your direct senses it is only something you have conjured up.

It's not good to stray from direct senses with regards to feelings. That's my opinion!

Sometimes the mind has a narrative from thought occurrences. And an over worked imagination can deceive.

I have had mystical experiences and I just don't like to be fooled into thinking it's anything more than just me and how I feel about anything. Some feelings have mystical qualities.

74x12

Two Questions:

So what if it is a demon? Why would you blame yourself? Demons just prey on people so it's not really because you're so bad. No I don't think you're bad.

But, I would not try to entertain this spirit if I were you. It's best to push it away as much as possible.

As for telling the difference; remember that the scripture says Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. (2 Corinthians 11:14) So of course they will claim to be from heaven. But honestly from how you've described this being before ... I would say it has caused you many problems through the years correct? So no that's not how God operates. And when God sends you a messenger it won't be forcing itself on you.

And remember that this being(you call butterfly) constantly changes it's story ... one day it's simulation theory and another day it's something else. It just tells what it thinks you will believe at any given moment.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Two Questions:

Is it promoting service to self? Or service to all as self?

MNoBody

I experience the being in question as a thing that touches my body in response to my inner voice - where and how it touches me can mean different things

It's a long, long story

I believe it is supernatural as it cannot be explained by natural sceinces or rationally observed
wireless voices projected into the mind of target recipients has been done since the 70's when they piloted the program in kentucky jails...patents are[or were] on line to view..... so such things these days are certainly questionable...not saying this is what is occurring.....but skepticism is a healthy quality with such intangibles [microwave tech has really progressed ...sadly as weapons and manipulation devices]

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Two Questions:

Dear Eddi

Spirituality is always present, for anyone to experience. That you have/have had a spiritual encounter/experience, means that you are open to looking beyond worldliness. That’s all.

How you [choose to] interpret your experience - what it makes you do and how it alters your perspective on and priorities in life; that’s what determines whether it be “good” or “bad”.

I’d like to add however, that many spiritual experiences are quite easy to misinterpret. Sometimes one must re-contemplate them quite a few times before understanding them in a constructive light ...like when coming across a difficult passage in Scripture.

Humbly
Hermit

Eyes to See

Two Questions:

Read through the OP and the comments and have pondered over it to try and grasp the situation. If what you say is not due to a mental health issue, which shouldn't be ruled out just based on the partial knowledge here, there are things I can share with you.

Am trying to see where to start Eddi. Because the way you come across you seem sincere. And my heart goes out to you whatever situation you may find yourself in.

We are very close to the end of this system of things, and there was a scripture I was reading this morning that comes to mind here:

"For he says: “In an acceptable time I heard you, and in a day of salvation I helped you.” Look! Now is the especially acceptable time. Look! Now is the day of salvation."-2 Corinthians 6:2.

Jehovah God is listening to all sincere-hearted ones on earth today and he is answering them. He does this through his spirit-directed channel on earth, his anointed Christian congregation among Jehovah' s Witnesses.

There are a few experiences that come to mind that may help you understand how Jehovah is actively answering people's prayers and communicating with us.

When I used to work customer service at a certain place I had a co-worker that sat next to me that was a Mormon, and we would engage in Biblical conversation all the time. Well, in my Bible study one night I ran into the illustration about two sticks that would be joined together in Ezkiel 37:15-28. I had never paid attention to this particular prophecy before and didn't really see a real need to understand it in any detail but I did some study on it. The two sticks represented the two-tribe kingdom of Judah and Benjamin, and the 10-tribe kingdom of Israel. Jehovah was foretelling that he was going to unite them together again. I then read how this had been done by the first century when people from all the 12 tribes of Israel were serving Jehovah. There is more to the prophecy but that is the jist of it.

What is of note is that the very next day I was talking with my co-worker who is Mormon, and then he said, I can show you how the Mormon Church was foretold in the Bible. And I said, really? Let me see. And he opened up to this very scripture and read it and then showed how he thought it meant it was referring to the Christian congregation formed by Jesus, and then the Mormon congregation founded in America according to the Book of Mormon. Now think of this, I had never really even paid attention to this prophecy until the night before. And right when I needed information on it I was guided by the holy spirit beforehand to understand what it meant. I was able to easily explain the prophecy to the Mormon and teach him the truth about its real application with the 2-tribe kingdom of Judah and the 10-tribe kingdom of Isreal, and that it was fulfilled in Jesus' day when they were all serving Jehovah together in Jerusalem.

Interestingly enough that very same week there was a group of people at work that got together and would read the Bible at lunch together. I did not participate with them in their Bible reading but I did have conversations with my co-worker that lead the group. That particular day I approached her, a nice older lady, I was still pretty young at this time. And brought up the scripture of the 10 people of the nations that would grab hold of the skirt of a Jew and would go with him because they would recognize that Jehovah was with him. And she asked me, what does the prophecy mean?

(BTW here is the prophecy:
This is what Jehovah of armies says, ‘In those days ten men out of all the languages of the nations will take hold, yes, they will take firm hold of the robe of a Jew, saying: “We want to go with you, for we have heard that God is with you people.”’”-Zechariah 8:23.)

I explained to her that 10 represents something that is complete in an earthly respect. The Jew is a spiritual Jew, and represents the anointed Christian congregation, the 144,000. That in the last days, the anointed Christian congregation would be preaching and teaching the truth, and that people from all the nations would be drawn by God's holy spirit to join with them in serving Jehovah God in true worship. So in Jehovah's congregation today, among Jehovah's Witnesses there are both the spiritual Jew, the anointed who are going to reign in heaven, and the 10 people of the nations, those of the earthly hope, and they would all serve Jehovah together in unity.

She was startled at this explanation and then said that they had been reading about this very prophecy that day at lunch and that nobody knew what it meant and she had said a prayer to God to reveal to her the meaning, and while she was praying I came to her and shared the meaning of it with her. She could not ignore the direction of the holy spirit in the matter, and acknowledged that God was answering her prayer.

I could go on with stories like this all day with you. For example there was a time I was going door-to-door with an elder in the congregation when we came across a city block where all the apartments had been condemned and apparently abandoned. And we were walking past the block and then he stopped in the middle and pointed toward a door and said let us knock on this door. I didn't understand why but we went and knocked and a woman answered the door in tears. She said she had just been praying to God that very moment for him to send his witnesses because she had studied with them in the past and wanted to return.

There was a time I was standing on a street corner, and I did not have a Bible study at the time and I said a silent prayer asking for Jehovah to send his angels ahead of me to find a right-hearted individual that would be willing study. At the next door a person answered, he came outside and then said: When can you come and study the Bible with me. I didn't even offer or say anything.

And all of Jehovah's Witnesses have experiences like this when preaching about God's word to the people. Jehovah and his angels are directing the work. Jesus is leading it. And Jehovah is approaching people eve4rywhere by means of his people who are teaching the truth about God's kingdom, and his purpose for the earth at this time.

I apologize that his became long-winded, but this is the point of the matter. I have come to understand that when my heart is compelled to reply to a question from a person I will do so, because it could be an angel or God's holy spirit directing me. And it would be wrong to withhold the truth from those who are asking of it and searching for it. And this in turn is proof of God's approval on his people. And also of his interest in everyone as individuals. It is God who draws people to him. So I cannot force a person to have faith, or believe. It is Jehovah God who opens a person's heart to understand who he is. He does not draw just anyone:

(John 6:44) No man can come to me unless the Father, who sent me, draws him.

What I responded to you in my last reply to you was accurate and faithful, and you were given direct answers from the Bible. You can trust it. And you should not dismiss out of hand, that just as demonic entities may fool you and even have communication with you, that Jehovah is not interested in you. You are asking for knowledge and you are being blessed with the privilege of receiving it. This is an answer to your questions.

It may take time for you to come to realize this, or not. And if you are still confused do not doubt that God will give you the wisdom you need if you ask him for it in prayer:

"So if any one of you is lacking in wisdom, let him keep asking God, for he gives generously to all and without reproaching, and it will be given him."-James 1:5.

Also Jehovah has exposed thoroughly Satan the Devil and all of his wily tactics he uses to try and fool people. We (that is his witnesses) are not ignorant of his designs:

"In fact, whatever I have forgiven (if I have forgiven anything) has been for your sake in Christ’s sight,  so that we may not be overreached by Satan, for we are not ignorant of his designs."-2 Corinthians 2:10-11.

Ponder This

Two Questions:

Other beings that can communicate with you include the deceased. Most commonly ancestors. Those that communicate with such are called mediums.

Communication can also be had with jinn. I'm not sure what such people are called.

QuestioningMind

Two Questions:

I suggest that you sit down and discuss this in detail with a qualified mental health expert.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Maybe it's part of your own subconscious mind. If so it's neutral and, you deserve credit for its accomplishments.

Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Two Questions:

Um, you don't say how this "contact" that you claim manifests itself. Are you hearing voices, playing cards, enjoying a brew together, being directed to slaughter your family -- or what?

Give us something to work on.