• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Constant Complainers

Cooky

Veteran Member
Perhaps someone here has known someone like this:

Chronic complainers see: A glass that is slightly chipped holding water that isn't cold enough, probably because it's tap water even though I asked for bottled, and wait, there's a smudge on the rim, too, which means the glass wasn't cleaned properly and now I'll probably end up with some kind of virus. Why do these things always happen to me?
How to Deal with Chronic Complainers

...I have 3 questions on Chronic Complaining.
  1. What causes the flaw of chronic complaining, and why are some people unable to correct it?
  2. Is it moral or immoral to lose all respect for constant complainers who are unable to shake their complaining..?
  3. Is chronic complaining not actually a flaw, but rather a personality type..?

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think it's mostly habit. Originally it was probably attention seeking behaviour, but over time it just became habit.

wellwisher

Complaining and criticizing is a way to look smart without having to produce anything. If you are a movie, food or sports critic, you can point out flaws like a pro, while having no outstanding skills in the field you critique. Words are cheaper than action. It creates an illusion of self worth based on an induced feedback. The arm chair quarterback will criticize the play or choice of play without having the skills to play. Yet they can create the illusion of knowing their stuff based on unopposed negative conviction.

This tactic may stem from the cynicism of the scientist. In this case one has been schooled along the party line of acceptable science. This is how you move up the ladder. They feel the need to defend acceptable science from the attack by any innovative or out of the box thinking, that might change the status quo. This defense has scholarly basis, but not in terms of the new thinking. There the scientist becomes a layman. Criticism is easier than everyone having to learn new things and become a student again.

If you look at fake news, all they do is complain and lie, but offer no solutions. Yet this is often sufficient to draw an audience, who then learns ways to look smart without having to produce anything besides repeat the negativity.

Complaining puts one on the offense and puts others on the defense, causing others to back down, so as to not start a confrontation. They will need cooperation to make their ideas work. Many will absorb the abuse to create an open channel. This creates a false positive for the perpetrator, which reinforces this behavior. The mother will go along with the complaining child even child is being over the top, since this is often the fastest path to shutting them up, so she can influence them.