• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conspiracy Theories

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
“Conspiracy theories” are ever popular to this day, and many originate from varied sources of proclaimed “truthiness”, to “questionable” provided facts, to simple paranoid delusional rantings and thoughts… but it might be fair to say that ALL suffer any attempts in credibility when subjected to even the most rudimentary evaluations of testable or repeatable experimentation that rely upon physical evidence as substantiation.

Some “theorists” employ simple vacuous arguments akin to “You can’t prove it’s impossible” (kinda like “god concepts”), to absurd claims that actually demand no rebuttals of substance or evidence (“The World is Flat”; “I said it, I believe it, and no amount of evidence will convince me otherwise…”).

Ok, well, if so, then you know who you are…

For the rest of us…(negating the irrationality of faith based beliefs at this point), most of us persist in requested requisite proofs and fact-based evidences to accept a claim as “likely” or “probable” fact.

And therein, lies the rub.

When we discount (or ignore) beliefs predicated upon explanations otherwise predicated upon “faith” (ie, what a person chooses to believe as true), most tend to evince (at least) an initially more skeptical viewpoint to all unproven or otherwise untestable claims as being put forward as undeniable “fact”.

The only thing that distinguishes our claim to being “the most intelligent species on the planet”, is presumably…our own innate and unique capacities of reason, and similar current capacities to share divergent or shared observations/evaluations/conclusions with others akin to ourselves in evaluative erudition.
If the above sentiment can even be considered to be remotely “true” (as to why we are not just on a par with dolphins, chimps, or even fungi…), then why would so many lend fair, much less equal credence and legitimacy to claimants of ghosts (spirits/demons/witches/necromancers/lost souls, etc), ET (being here and now), hidden alien tech (Area 51 of course), “Nessie” (of Loch Ness infamy), “black helicopters” (with their troops of jack booted thugs, the MIB excused), JFK’s “true assassin(s)”, faked moon landings, Bigfoot, microwave mind manipulations……the list goes on and on.

Just the same, it is worthy of note that contemporary examples of “conspiracies” swirl about even now…

Just some currently popular claims:
Our President is some “secret” (operative word there as invisibly but yet obvious “secreted”) “Muslim/Atheist/Jew/African” that unilaterally hates anything American; “Sharia Law” is the latest sweeping scourge to be supported in State Legislatures nationwide; “voter fraud” is rampant as primary cause of “skewed” outcomes in democratic elections; scientific “theories” (always predicated upon the very latest available evidences) are just “lies from the pits of Hell”, and so on…

Maybe, just maybe, aluminum foil serves a better purpose to cook fish sticks, that to craft some cranial defense hat from those invisible mind control enemies, and maybe… just maybe…

…if you believe that aliens and/or Obama are trying to take away your guns… maybe that hat will not protect you and seeking professional psychiatric help would be a better course to obtain a more satisfactory resolution? :)

Obviously, critique is invited:)

ImprobableBeing

Well, since i'm one of the reptilian Zionist Jews i should probably stay out of this one.

But i do agree.

I think humans mainly want the world to be a bit more fantastic and magic than it really is because the reality can be quite depressing at times. ;)

The Wizard

“Conspiracy theories” are ever popular to this day, and many originate from varied sources of proclaimed “truthiness”, to “questionable” provided facts, to simple paranoid delusional rantings and thoughts… but it might be fair to say that ALL suffer any attempts in credibility when subjected to even the most rudimentary evaluations of testable or repeatable experimentation that rely upon physical evidence as substantiation.

Some “theorists” employ simple vacuous arguments akin to “You can’t prove it’s impossible” (kinda like “god concepts”), to absurd claims that actually demand no rebuttals of substance or evidence (“The World is Flat”; “I said it, I believe it, and no amount of evidence will convince me otherwise…”).

Ok, well, if so, then you know who you are…

For the rest of us…(negating the irrationality of faith based beliefs at this point), most of us persist in requested requisite proofs and fact-based evidences to accept a claim as “likely” or “probable” fact.

And therein, lies the rub.

When we discount (or ignore) beliefs predicated upon explanations otherwise predicated upon “faith” (ie, what a person chooses to believe as true), most tend to evince (at least) an initially more skeptical viewpoint to all unproven or otherwise untestable claims as being put forward as undeniable “fact”.

The only thing that distinguishes our claim to being “the most intelligent species on the planet”, is presumably…our own innate and unique capacities of reason, and similar current capacities to share divergent or shared observations/evaluations/conclusions with others akin to ourselves in evaluative erudition.
If the above sentiment can even be considered to be remotely “true” (as to why we are not just on a par with dolphins, chimps, or even fungi…), then why would so many lend fair, much less equal credence and legitimacy to claimants of ghosts (spirits/demons/witches/necromancers/lost souls, etc), ET (being here and now), hidden alien tech (Area 51 of course), “Nessie” (of Loch Ness infamy), “black helicopters” (with their troops of jack booted thugs, the MIB excused), JFK’s “true assassin(s)”, faked moon landings, Bigfoot, microwave mind manipulations……the list goes on and on.

Just the same, it is worthy of note that contemporary examples of “conspiracies” swirl about even now…

Just some currently popular claims:
Our President is some “secret” (operative word there as invisibly but yet obvious “secreted”) “Muslim/Atheist/Jew/African” that unilaterally hates anything American; “Sharia Law” is the latest sweeping scourge to be supported in State Legislatures nationwide; “voter fraud” is rampant as primary cause of “skewed” outcomes in democratic elections; scientific “theories” (always predicated upon the very latest available evidences) are just “lies from the pits of Hell”, and so on…

Maybe, just maybe, aluminum foil serves a better purpose to cook fish sticks, that to craft some cranial defense hat from those invisible mind control enemies, and maybe… just maybe…

…if you believe that aliens and/or Obama are trying to take away your guns… maybe that hat will not protect you and seeking professional psychiatric help would be a better course to obtain a more satisfactory resolution? :)

Obviously, critique is invited:)
I agree, people who wear a tin foil hat and think the sky is going to fall everyday is entertaining, but gets old. I think it has something to do with being extremely bored in Life.

Ooops, I think I found a bug. Your quote here, "For the rest of us…(negating the irrationality of faith based beliefs at this point), most of us persist in requested requisite proofs and fact-based evidences to accept a claim as “likely” or “probable” fact."

Now, how on Earth is anyone going to provide "fact based evidences" or proofs toward a faith based belief? I mean, really mate, it is a faith based belief BECOUSE it has no evidences in the first place.... And, the level rate of rationality will be completely individual and subjective...

s2a

I agree, people who wear a tin foil hat and think the sky is going to fall everyday is entertaining, but gets old. I think it has something to do with being extremely bored in Life.

Ooops, I think I found a bug. Your quote here, "For the rest of us…(negating the irrationality of faith based beliefs at this point), most of us persist in requested requisite proofs and fact-based evidences to accept a claim as “likely” or “probable” fact."

Now, how on Earth is anyone going to provide "fact based evidences" or proofs toward a faith based belief? I mean, really mate, it is a faith based belief BECOUSE it has no evidences in the first place.... And, the level rate of rationality will be completely individual and subjective...

In reply to your last inquiry...

...the simple answer is... "unavailable". Truth of any sort, especially any grounded in/upon religious beliefs when simply asserted as "truth" (a philosophical, not scientific concept), within whatever constraints a devotional piety that particulal/specified belief system demands of its following adherents to state aloud (to whom any that may listen) as "fact", is not to equate "belief" with any estimable fact(s).

"Faith", in it's simple derivative, is a willingness to accept specified claims as "truth", whether or not existent evidences may or may not support any truths of that claim itself.

"God did it" is a claim of faith as an undeniable "truth", but of course, only believable to those that choose to accept the claim as fact.

IS such a conclusion "rational"?

Well, I suppose that depends upon which "believers" you ask...:)

Perhaps a working and constant suspension of disbelief is the most satisfying validation of religious rationale available today...

MessianicJew

There is truth behind them but they are blown out of proportion and exposed by lizard loving lunatics and insiders.

The Freeman on the Land is a great example - It is 80% truth and they withhold just enough that people that try it get themselves into lots of trouble, negating the whole thing so that other people don't believe it and don't try it, other FMOTers make lots of money out of it and don't want you to know it all, so you continue paying for their scammy stuff.
Source: Wife is a lawyer.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Since time began, I am sure there have been sweeping "Conspiracy Theories". One cause is paranoia. Another cause might be communication:

The original message: Get a hold of _____. His daughter has a cold and he wants to be informed of everything.
First person: ___________'s daughter is ill, please let him know.
second person: _________'s daughter is quite ill, please inform him.
Third person: ___________'s daughter is seriously ill, get a hold of him immediately.
and lastly (to the father): Your daughter is dangerously ill. You must go to her immediately. (I borrowed this scenario from a Shirley Temple movie and it is rather paraphrased.)

PamelaGip

I think and I am sure that behind every conspiracy story there is something true about it - but also people just keep adding things that never happened. But I believe in conspiracy theories only if they are provided with factual information

s2a

I think and I am sure that behind every conspiracy story there is something true about it - but also people just keep adding things that never happened. But I believe in conspiracy theories only if they are provided with factual information

If only "fact" was even a minor factor in bizarre/obtuse speculations, vapid premises, and in-evidenced conjuring. Assertion of ANY "truth" absent compelling and testable evidence is...snake oil meant to remedy stomach aches and remove tobacco stains (not necessarily in that order).

They are not.