• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conspiracy Theories and Lies

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
If someone is promoting conspiracy theories are they promoting lies?

Nimos

Depends how one does it, I think.

If you cast doubt on something, which does not seem to match explanations given, you might not promote lies as much as you are seeking clarification. However for a lot of conspiracy theories, they can quickly get out of hand.

Like X might not match the explanation... but could that then also mean that Y equal A, and if that is the case, then B might be behind it, because C also seem to suggest that D equals E..... and so on.

So there is nothing wrong in questioning or asking about X, but everything after this tend to get out of hand. And if a person then starts to assume that these conclusions, which there are no strong evidence for are true, then you might have a conspiracy which spreads lies and ruins its original purpose.

But as I see it, there is nothing wrong in people questioning explanations, if data doesn't fit it.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Yes, except in the extremely, extremely rare instances that there actually is a conspiracy, such as the JFK assassination--there you have the consensus of experts agreeing that it is a genuine conspiracy.

All the rest, QAnon, anti-vax, reptilian shapeshifters, Soros, truthers, birthers, the election was stolen, are all a bunch of lies gossiped about by people who are susceptible to this sort of thing. You will find that a person who believes one conspiracy, is likely to believe many. It's a personality trait.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not necessarily. People conspire. It's what distinguishes us from the apes.
Conspiracy is just an unpublicized plan involving more than one person.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Not necessarily. People conspire. It's what distinguishes us from the apes.
Conspiracy is just an unpublicized plan involving more than one person.
I don't know about apes but squirrels form criminal bands.
At places where people rest, they send out the young and cute to perform before the humans. While the humans are distracted the rest of the gang comes from behind and plunders the rucksacks. Later they share with the performers.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
No, conspiracy theory can be true and there has been many true conspiracies.
they can if they are tested, like a belief.

but just making a claim with no substance and then continually promoting it, is sham.

the birth conspiracy about obama for instance

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
they can if they are tested, like a belief.

but just making a claim with no substance and then continually promoting it, is sham.

the birth conspiracy about obama for instance
"Misinformation."
The conspiracy involved a larger, multifaceted plan to cast doubt on Obama's legitimacy and character.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I don't know about apes but squirrels form criminal bands.
At places where people rest, they send out the young and cute to perform before the humans. While the humans are distracted the rest of the gang comes from behind and plunders the rucksacks. Later they share with the performers.
Male chimps form gangs that go on the prowl and murder chimps from neighboring groups.