• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Considering sun worship

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I’m considering sun worship. I always have since I was a young kid, but I repressed it due to my Christianity. Same with the full moon. I live in a place where it’s REALLY SUNNY :blacksunrays::blacksunrays::blacksunrays:
I would like to build a shrine dedicated to the sun and the moon. My delusions of grandeur tells me I am to build a sun temple. A simple shrine in the corner of my room will be suffice.
This is... animism?
I’ve always felt drawn to the sun and the full moon. I remember looking at the sun and calling out to Ra one time when I was seven, but then I got hit with a lightning bolt of shame and fear because of my Christian upbringing.
I don’t believe the sun is god, but I would like to align my energy with it, if that makes sense?
Any sun worshippers on here? Or animists in general? How do you go about it? :sunface::fullmoonface:

RestlessSoul

Well the sun is a star, and as carbon based life forms we are quite literally stardust. So it makes perfect sense to me, to view the sun as at least emblematic of the miracle of creation

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I’m considering sun worship. I always have since I was a young kid, but I repressed it due to my Christianity. Same with the full moon. I live in a place where it’s REALLY SUNNY :blacksunrays::blacksunrays::blacksunrays:
I would like to build a shrine dedicated to the sun and the moon. My delusions of grandeur tells me I am to build a sun temple. A simple shrine in the corner of my room will be suffice.
This is... animism?
I’ve always felt drawn to the sun and the full moon. I remember looking at the sun and calling out to Ra one time when I was seven, but then I got hit with a lightning bolt of shame and fear because of my Christian upbringing.
I don’t believe the sun is god, but I would like to align my energy with it, if that makes sense?
Any sun worshippers on here? Or animists in general? How do you go about it? :sunface::fullmoonface:

Google Akhenaten, i believe he was first to set up organised sun worship as a monotheistic religion.

It's also possible but hotly denied by christian academics that the worship of the Aten eventually lead to Christianity.

ajay0

This is... animism?

The sun god was a figure in ancient Hinduism, and it is said that Karna , a mighty warrior of the Hindu epic Mahabharatha was a devotee of the sun god Surya.

There is a temple devoted to the sun god in Konark, Orissa , India.

Konark Sun Temple - Wikipedia

In modern tmes, there is a Hindu enlightened master called Swami Surya Jowel who has designed a set of spiritual meditation practices and yogic practices utilizing the rays of the sun during early morning and evening for spiritual and physical health purposes.

The Hatha yoga technique Suryanamaskara is performed early morning facing the rising sun.

Imho, perhaps you were a sun worshipper in a past life , and this could be the reason you are having such thoughts of the same. Sun worship was present in some cultures around the world.

Altfish

Veteran Member
This is... animism?
Don't forget the Factor 25

Clara Tea

shame and fear because of my Christian upbringing.
I don’t believe the sun is god, but I would like to align my energy with it

Actor Josh Brolin Tried the New Butt Sunning Trend—and Says His 'Pucker Hole is Crazy Burned'

Actor Josh Brolin got a sunburn.

10 Things to Know Before You Take Up ‘Perineum Sunning’

Wellness trends. "30 seconds of sunlight on your butthole, you will receive more energy… than you would in an entire day being outside with your clothes on,” one perineum sunner said in an Instagram video."

Butthole Sunning: Does Science Back It Up? - Health Guide

“perineal sunning” (holistic?) is actually an “ancient Taoist practice” and that just 5 minutes a day leaves her “energized for hours.” So much so, in fact, that she’s given up coffee. She also claims it can give you not only a boost of overall energy but better sleep, improved creativity, and a more regulated circadian rhythm."....."the perenium [sic] or Hui Yin is called the ‘Gate of Life and Death.’"

"41.6% of adults in the United States are at risk of vitamin D deficiency" (sunlight allows the body to make vitamin D).

"without adequate protection, can lead to significant burning and irritation, with long-term complications of possible cancer."

"sunbathing these sensitive areas: it could make some sexually transmitted infections (STIs) worse."

amorphous_constellation

I identified as an animist for a long time, and my theistic side still votes moreso for that direction. Another side of me doesn't really want a label, or thinks it is beyond labels.. Another side of me is a bit of deist, another is unitarian, and there is an atheist within me.

Animism is something that I work at defining. Succinctly, I think it mostly deals with perhaps a trio of concepts: the 'personhood' of nature, man as a projection of nature, and thirdly, the obvious mystery behind what both those things mean. There is room for a careful use of both science and intuition about where we belong, in an animist framework.

It represent things we appear to have, like freedom of thought / the ability to think, as being ok, because we seem to be built to 'wonder.' It doesn't even need to have much of an opinion about other religions; those are just logical products of wondering man. I don't know. I've written about it a lot, archived in here, in my own threads and various opinion posts

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
My delusions of grandeur tells me I am to build a sun temple.

You might build one someday...

A simple shrine in the corner of my room will be suffice.

Sounds good.

This is... animism?

You are an animist if you believe everything has a spirit or soul: the sun, moon, each star, every tree, every rosebush, the house, your pantry, etc.

I remember looking at the sun and calling out to Ra one time when I was seven, but then I got hit with a lightning bolt of shame and fear because of my Christian upbringing.

Many Abrahamic believers view heliolatry as one of the most primitive acts of worship, ever. When I say 'primitive,' I mean ignorant and pitiful. In my experience as someone with a Christian background, approaching the sun for adoration feels like a terrible transgression is about to occur. Then, when the sun is being adored, or has been adored, the inner experience is amazing. Call him Ra or Sūrya, he is real in my [spiritual] experience.

I don’t believe the sun is god

As in not God (with an uppercase g) or not a god (with a lowercase g)?

but I would like to align my energy with it, if that makes sense?

It makes sense to me.

Any sun worshippers on here?

I've worshiped the sun god (and a goddess) in more than one religious context throughout my life. However, solar worship is not really my interest.

Or animists in general?

I have animistic beliefs, not I'm not a practicing animist.

How do you go about it?

As a Hindu, I've worshiped Sūrya by putting my palms together and chanting Oṃ Sūryāya Namaḥ and Oṃ Ādityāya Namaḥ. I've done so while facing the sun, and sometimes while not facing the sun. In the Thelemic tradition, they have a rite called Resh, and it involves four daily adorations to the sun. In my early 20s, when I was into Thelema and Western occultism, I did Resh and I had a couple of interesting experiences. One of them was feeling a ray of sunlight touching my forehead, and I was not outside or facing a window. I look forward to hearing your experiences if you go about doing 'ye olde heliolatrye.'

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Maybe I am too "dualistic" but I see the sun and the moon more in the context of "conscious / logical" and "unconscious / intuitive". For me, I see the need for a "balance" between the two. When I was still interested in magic, I built an altar to Apollo and Diana.

Christianity has adopted elements of a solar religion; December 25 was originally the day of the "invincible sun" (sol invictus) in the northern hemisphere. Around the date of the spring equinox, the sun is "crucified," and St. John's Day ("He must increase, but I must decrease") refers to Midsummer's Day and the decreasing length of the day from then on.

By the way, most sun gods are considered male, the only sun goddess I know of is the Japanese goddess Amaterasu.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
By the way, most sun gods are considered male, the only sun goddess I know of is the Japanese goddess Amaterasu.

There's also Saule(Baltic goddess), and Sol(Norse sun goddess). The names are similar, but I don't feel they are the same.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

You're in good company. This is from George Carlin:

“So rather than be just another mindless religious robot, mindlessly and aimlessly and blindly believing that all of this is in the hands of some spooky incompetent father figure who doesn’t give a ****, I decided to look around for something else to worship. Something I could really count on. And immediately, I thought of the sun. Happened like that. Overnight I became a sun-worshipper.

"Well, not overnight, you can’t see the sun at night. But first thing the next morning, I became a sun-worshipper. Several reasons. First of all, I can see the sun, okay? Unlike some other gods I could mention, I can actually see the sun. I’m big on that. If I can see something, I don’t know, it kind of helps the credibility along, you know? So everyday I can see the sun, as it gives me everything I need; heat, light, food, flowers in the park, reflections on the lake, an occasional skin cancer, but hey. At least there are no crucifixions, and we’re not setting people on fire simply because they don’t agree with us.

"Sun worship is fairly simple. There’s no mystery, no miracles, no pageantry, no one asks for money, there are no songs to learn, and we don’t have a special building where we all gather once a week to compare clothing. And the best thing about the sun, it never tells me I’m unworthy. Doesn’t tell me I’m a bad person who needs to be saved. Hasn’t said an unkind word. Treats me fine. So, I worship the sun. But, I don’t pray to the sun. Know why? I wouldn’t presume on our friendship. It’s not polite.”​

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
This is... animism?

I have been thinking about this too, but not sure of specifics yet.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Google Akhenaten, i believe he was first to set up organised sun worship as a monotheistic religion.

It's also possible but hotly denied by christian academics that the worship of the Aten eventually lead to Christianity.

Akhenaten made the first monotheistic religion, but after his death, it went back to polytheism. Did that lead to Christianity, or maybe Judaism? Sounds interesting.

Jedster

The Supreme Lord Shree Krishna said: I taught this eternal science of Yog to the Sun God, Vivasvan, who passed it on to Manu; and Manu, in turn, instructed it to Ikshvaku. (BG 4.1)
This is... animism?

According to the BagavadGita(Ch 4.1) there is a Sun God. So there may well be Sun worshippers.
"The Supreme Lord Shree Krishna said: I taught this eternal science of Yog to the Sun God, Vivasvan, who passed it on to Manu; and Manu, in turn, instructed it to Ikshvaku."

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I live in the Seattle area. We are pretty sure that the Sun is a fictitious thing. No one knows why the clouds are lit up during the day time.