• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

considering becoming bahai

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Unfortunately, Vodoun is an initiation based religion. You need a god parent and, if in the states, its highly expensive in rituals even if you find one or they find you.

Yeah, I noted that in the book I read recently. Its interesting to learn the basics on it, though.

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
I am a former Baha'i myself who now believes in reincarnation.

The best answer I can give you is that the Baha'i Faith's founder Baha'u'llah was from Iran and the dominant Muslim culture held strong sway over that country. Islam does not teach the doctrine of reincarnation. In my years of study I've seen no indications that Baha'u'llah had any familiarity with the Hindu/Buddhist religious traditions. Baha'u'llah did not really address the issue of reincarnation.

Abdu'l-Bahá the official interpreter of Baha'u'llah did address the question and said the reincarnation doctrine is not true and hence it is not part of the Baha'i teachings.

Yes they say very clearly that they do not believe in reincarnation because of what Abdu'l Baha have written

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I like the moral rules in Baha'i faith. I think what moral rules a religion has are more important than other things they believe in.

For example in christianity. It is more important to love God and your neighbor and follow the ten commendments than believing in trinity or if you believe in purgatory

You like the anti-homosexuality rules?

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
There isn't really any reason you can't hold Baha'i beliefs, and even live them out, without formally adopting the religion if there are major belief differences.

I would recommend continuing to search, spiritually. I get wanting to belong to an organized religion. Being on your own has value, but it isn't for everyone. There are so many different faiths out there... perhaps you could do a little exploration. You may not find one that resonates with you right away, but it will be interesting nonetheless. Have you heard of Theosophy? Asatru? Druidry? Culdee Christianity? Vodoun?

You seem pretty knowledgeable about varying religious beliefs. Its good to explore, but don't just jump in to jump in. You can't easily ignore a major belief you have; it will just keep resurfacing. Take your time, and enjoy the path.

I believe God as no spesific religion. I do believe God sends holy souls to this world to teach us about God and God's truth. And God's truth is love, justice, kindness. But i do not believe those holy souls is from a spesific religion. I believe they appear in many different religions.

But at the same time I follow the moral laws of Christianity. I think it is important to have one or more religions you follow the morals laws to. That is because religions has structure, and moral rules they agree on. That is very important.

I personally can not believe in theosophy, asatru, druidry, vodoun or other new age beliefs because the movement has no structure, no moral rules they agree on, it is many gurus, teachers and people their who has harmful beliefs. Many half-truths. I was a believer of new age in some years and i believed many half-truths, it made me no good.

But it is people and gurus who believe good beliefs and real truths but sadly it is difficult to know who has good beliefs because the new age is so big, So many people, gurus, teachers with many many different opinionens and beliefs.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I personally can not believe in theosophy, asatru, druidry, vodoun or other new age beliefs because the movement has no structure, no moral rules they agree on, it is many gurus, teachers and people their who has harmful beliefs. Many half-truths. I was a believer of new age in some years and i believed many half-truths, it made me no good.

But it is people and gurus who believe good beliefs and real truths but sadly it is difficult to know who has good beliefs because the new age is so big, So many people, gurus, teachers with many many different opinionens and beliefs.

Those were just examples, but I think you know what I'm getting at. Keep exploring.

My dad tried to raise me Christian. I have to admit, even as a kid, I found it hard to swallow, especially the 'heaven and hell' idea. I just couldn't get behind it. When I learned about reincarnation in my teen years, I remember thinking "yes! This is what I believe! This is how I've always felt!" I'd just never been exposed to it. I didn't dare vocalize it, and honestly, was a little scared of it, so I tried to bury it and pretend I didn't believe that.

But, it kept resurfacing. No matter how I tried, I couldn't suppress that belief. Eventually, I had to embrace it, and find a faith that was accepting of it, or be comfortable accepting my own version of Christianity... I began to explore, I found a faith I belonged in, and I felt like I was growing again, spiritually. Before that, I felt stagnant.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Reincarnation seems more logic than eternal hell or heaven. Reincarnation give people more chances to learn. It also does justice. it seems logical a loving God gives his children more chances and at the same time is justice.

I share those sentiments. Have you studied what the Baha’i writings say about life after death?

Life and Death | What Bahá’ís Believe

Baháʼí Faith on life after death - Wikipedia

A Baha’i view sees us progressing through the world’s of God after this life rather than continuing to progress in this world through returning as either a human or animal. It is not simply eternal hell or heaven, though our progress in the next world very much depends on our progress in this life.

InvestigateTruth

But i struggle so much with reincarnation question..i do not under stand why they think reincarnation belief is wrong

Help please?
Bahai Scriptures also rejects the idea of eternal hell. Life after death, according to Bahai scriptures, is purely spiritual, and completely Unknowable to us while we are living on earth.
According to Bahai Scriptures, Our spiritual status, happiness, station, perfections in the next world, is dependent upon how we do here and now while we are in this world...however, the sinners, and wrongdoers, could still be forgiven by God, in the next life after a period of punishment. But they don't need to come back to this life, as reincarnation.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Very many christian organisations and churches is not against homosexuals. And the christians who is against it say "Love the sinner, not the sin".
Sorry, I meant the Baha'i faith, not Christians. I know many Christian groups like Anglicans, and United Church of Canada are all inclusive.

I've always felt that 'Love the Sinner, not the sin' is a bit of a cop-out. Many actions determine the description. A baker is a baker because he bakes. If he didn't bake, he wouldn't be a baker. So can you love a baker (his/her bakery) but hate what he bakes?

The Baha'i faith is of the 'Love the Sinner, hate the sin' variety.

With modern science, I can't see why any person shouldn't be able to express their love for another human in a physical way. For me it's no different that saying redheads shouldn't have sex.

nPeace

Veteran Member
But i struggle so much with reincarnation question..i do not under stand why they think reincarnation belief is wrong

Help please?
Good to see you are examining the different religions and their teachings. I hope you have a 'map' handy. 'Travel' safely. ;)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Reincarnation seems more logic than eternal hell or heaven. Reincarnation give people more chances to learn. It also does justice. it seems logical a loving God gives his children more chances and at the same time is justice.
Why would you cease to have chances to learn and grow in Heaven? Why would you need to become a different life form in order to do that? Why couldn't you just do it as "you"?

Redemptionsong

Help please?
Probably because their prophet has said as much. That's the thing about revealed religions... There isn't a whole lot of wiggle room for personal beliefs.

If you have your own ideas on things, just follow your gut, and work from there. :)

Let's hope there's more wiggle in your gut than there is in revealed religion.

Clara Tea

Turn to the New Testament bible for answers to reincarnation. Revelation (in the New Testament) says that anyone who changes the words or meanings of Revelation will be tossed into the lake of the fires of hell for all eternity and be written out of the book of life forever. I assume that the book of life is reincarnation.

Edgar Cayce: Evidence of reincarnation, karma and past lives

Some of the top psychics in the world have been forced to believe in reincarnation, despite their Christian upbringing (Edgar Cayce, for example). He also had to believe in Atlantis (what he described as an advanced civilization that had lasers to fend off dinosaurs, and he had to believe in aliens from outer space). It seems odd to me that most of the astronomers and physicists today also believe in extraterrestrial life, because they believe that earth-like conditions are needed for life to spontaneously be created from chemicals, and there are a huge number of planets orbiting a huge number of stars.

Reincarnation | Edgar Cayce Readings | Edgar Cayce's A.R.E.

Mr. Cayce believed that our past actions affect our lives today, and that we might benefit or be hurt by those past actions. He says that talents and skills are never lost. (While others claim to be kings, I must have been a pest in my last life).

It is interesting that Mr. Cayce merges Buddhist ideas of reincarnation with Christian ideas to form a hybrid religion that encompasses both.

Mr. Cayce is from Hopkinsville, Kentucky, the same town of my great great great great grandfather who moved there in 1814. My ancestor was well known for having kids out of wedlock.

Edgar Cayce on Rebirths – The Gold Scales

Audie

Veteran Member
Wishing isn't what people mean when they choose to believe. Its planning and contributing. Planning a skyscraper isn't wishful thinking, because it has as its basis the goal of building a skyscraper. Most people will not invest in a skyscraper before it is built, but some people do. That's the only way it gets built. If nobody believes in its ability to attract renters then it can't be constructed. That is the kind of belief people choose.

When it comes to the Bahai's I don't see any possibility of proofs. What I see is "What is the goal?" and "Can it be accomplished."

Plaaning a buiding is in some few details
different from choosing to believe in magic.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Plaaning a buiding is in some few details
different from choosing to believe in magic.
Yes, but I'm not talking about believing in magic or the kind of belief which is about magical results. There is always a mixture of different kinds of believers. There is more than one kind of believer. Believing in magic can't get a building built whereas believing in social progress can result in social progress.

Audie

Veteran Member
Yes, but I'm not talking about believing in magic or the kind of belief which is about magical results. There is always a mixture of different kinds of believers. There is more than one kind of believer. Believing in magic can't get a building built whereas believing in social progress can result in social progress.

Is there a religion that does not involve belief in magic?

I believe two plus two is four. That is not choosing from a menu of
beliefs

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Is there a religion that does not involve belief in magic?
Yes, starting with Judaism. In Judaism there's no requirement to believe in God or magic of any kind, unless you opt in to that sector of Judaism which does require it. Of course you and I are only able to read the English translations of their texts which are heavily redacted by the time they get to us and sound hyper magical. There are legitimate branches of Judaism which are not magical. I'm not the expert on this, no, but if you were to pursue the topic you'd find religious atheist Jews. Their prayers and their actions are nevertheless religious.

Christian writings also reflect flexibility about believing in supernatural things, but they are usually interpreted magically by magical minds. Christianity is a mystery religion, which means it has an induction process which filters people. You don't get to learn everything until you're an insider. Outside of this I don't really know much about other religions. I think Zen isn't magical at all, but I'm also not sure it could be called a religion. It seems non communal and not really much more than brain exercises, but maybe its more than that.

Among Quakers you can find atheists, and they are just as Quaker as any other Quaker. They keep going to the meetings, keeping minutes, advocating for peace etc.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Those were just examples, but I think you know what I'm getting at. Keep exploring.

My dad tried to raise me Christian. I have to admit, even as a kid, I found it hard to swallow, especially the 'heaven and hell' idea. I just couldn't get behind it. When I learned about reincarnation in my teen years, I remember thinking "yes! This is what I believe! This is how I've always felt!" I'd just never been exposed to it. I didn't dare vocalize it, and honestly, was a little scared of it, so I tried to bury it and pretend I didn't believe that.

But, it kept resurfacing. No matter how I tried, I couldn't suppress that belief. Eventually, I had to embrace it, and find a faith that was accepting of it, or be comfortable accepting my own version of Christianity... I began to explore, I found a faith I belonged in, and I felt like I was growing again, spiritually. Before that, I felt stagnant.

Can I ask, have you had experiences that confirmed your experiences with reincarnation?

I don't know if I believe in it or not because the concept of the soul is foreign and I wasn't raised religious.

Audie

Veteran Member
Yes, starting with Judaism. In Judaism there's no requirement to believe in God or magic of any kind, unless you opt in to that sector of Judaism which does require it. Of course you and I are only able to read the English translations of their texts which are heavily redacted by the time they get to us and sound hyper magical. There are legitimate branches of Judaism which are not magical. I'm not the expert on this, no, but if you were to pursue the topic you'd find religious atheist Jews. Their prayers and their actions are nevertheless religious.

Christian writings also reflect flexibility about believing in supernatural things, but they are usually interpreted magically by magical minds. Christianity is a mystery religion, which means it has an induction process which filters people. You don't get to learn everything until you're an insider. Outside of this I don't really know much about other religions. I think Zen isn't magical at all, but I'm also not sure it could be called a religion. It seems non communal and not really much more than brain exercises, but maybe its more than that.

Among Quakers you can find atheists, and they are just as Quaker as any other Quaker. They keep going to the meetings, keeping minutes, advocating for peace etc.

Interesting! Thanks.