• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

considering becoming bahai

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
But i struggle so much with reincarnation question..i do not under stand why they think reincarnation belief is wrong

Help please?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I like the Baha'i faith too

But I'd never join it

It's not for me

Even though I like it

I do my own thing

And I believe in reincarnation too

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
But i struggle so much with reincarnation question..i do not under stand why they think reincarnation belief is wrong

Help please?
Hey @Meandflower ,
All the best with exploring the Baha'i Faith and considering whether it is right for you. I starting looking into the Baha'i Faith many years ago and still am. I believe its really important to make sense of this life and to find our place in it. For each of us, this journey may take us in different directions.

As you may appreciate, Baha'is believe in God who has revealed Himself progressively to humanity through great spiritual teachers we refer to as Manifestations of God. We see a clear line of Manifestations including Moses, Christ, Muhammad and more recently the Bab and Baha'u'llah. A careful study of the Torah, Gospels, Quran and the Baha'i writings will make clear that none of these Revelations taught reincarnation. It's not that we are opposed to reincarnation, we simply don't believe in it.

Baha'is believe that Buddha and Krishna were Manifestations of God too, but it is unclear whether or not the Hindu and Buddhist texts accurately reflect their life and teachings.

It may help to check out our website:
The Bahá’í Faith - The website of the worldwide Bahá’í community

It sounds as if you believe reincarnation is true. Why do believe in reincarnation if you don't mind me asking?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Sorry, but I can't understand why anyone would seriously consider joining any faith they didn't agree with, especially when there are others that are more compatible.

Audie

Veteran Member
Me neither. Not only that, there is no need to join any faith. You're going to live, can be a productive citizen, etc. quite well with no faith. I had a very happy childhood with no faith.
Shopping for a church is particularly weird- finding
someone to preach what you already
(have chosen to) believe!

If research were done that way we'd still have people
who believe flood and astrology!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Me neither. Not only that, there is no need to join any faith. You're going to live, can be a productive citizen, etc. quite well with no faith. I had a very happy childhood with no faith.

The reason people join faith (ideally) is to follow a practice that would let them understand and how to apply what they already believe. It's like you can practice math all day and think you're getting the problem right, but in many religions if you don't go to class, you can believe in just about anything, call it Bahai, Hindu, whatever, and never actually "get" the point.

@Meandflower So, I feel the OP should list different beliefs he or she "does" believe in is true and fact. Things he or she wants to learn about and other things that the OP would not budge on regardless. Find a faith for its practice and if you're called to it (to the OP) then even if you're uncomfortable with a teaching, at least you learn to understand it which is different than believing something is a fact and trying to adapt that it is not.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I dont get choosing to believe.

It should be choosing what to practice to understand one's own already given belief. If one believes in god, maybe find a practice that would help one understand what that means rather than trying to change one's belief in god to adapt to something they don't believe in their heart and brain is true.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member

Probably because their prophet has said as much. That's the thing about revealed religions... There isn't a whole lot of wiggle room for personal beliefs.

If you have your own ideas on things, just follow your gut, and work from there. :)

Starlight

Hey @Meandflower ,
All the best with exploring the Baha'i Faith and considering whether it is right for you. I starting looking into the Baha'i Faith many years ago and still am. I believe its really important to make sense of this life and to find our place in it. For each of us, this journey may take us in different directions.

As you may appreciate, Baha'is believe in God who has revealed Himself progressively to humanity through great spiritual teachers we refer to as Manifestations of God. We see a clear line of Manifestations including Moses, Christ, Muhammad and more recently the Bab and Baha'u'llah. A careful study of the Torah, Gospels, Quran and the Baha'i writings will make clear that none of these Revelations taught reincarnation. It's not that we are opposed to reincarnation, we simply don't believe in it.

Baha'is believe that Buddha and Krishna were Manifestations of God too, but it is unclear whether or not the Hindu and Buddhist texts accurately reflect their life and teachings.

It may help to check out our website:
The Bahá’í Faith - The website of the worldwide Bahá’í community

It sounds as if you believe reincarnation is true. Why do believe in reincarnation if you don't mind me asking?

Reincarnation seems more logic than eternal hell or heaven. Reincarnation give people more chances to learn. It also does justice. it seems logical a loving God gives his children more chances and at the same time is justice.

Starlight

Sorry, but I can't understand why anyone would seriously consider joining any faith they didn't agree with, especially when there are others that are more compatible.
Good point..
I'm just like Baha'i teachings very much.. so frustrating when when I do not agree with everything.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I dont get choosing to believe.
Wishing isn't what people mean when they choose to believe. Its planning and contributing. Planning a skyscraper isn't wishful thinking, because it has as its basis the goal of building a skyscraper. Most people will not invest in a skyscraper before it is built, but some people do. That's the only way it gets built. If nobody believes in its ability to attract renters then it can't be constructed. That is the kind of belief people choose.

When it comes to the Bahai's I don't see any possibility of proofs. What I see is "What is the goal?" and "Can it be accomplished."

Starlight

Probably because their prophet has said as much. That's the thing about revealed religions... There isn't a whole lot of wiggle room for personal beliefs.

If you have your own ideas on things, just follow your gut, and work from there. :)

I believe it is best to believe in one, or more revealed religions because religions has structure, and moral rules they agree on.

I personally like organized religions. In for example Christianity and judaism you have the ten commandments most followers agree on as moral rules.

Starlight

I like the moral rules in Baha'i faith. I think what moral rules a religion has are more important than other things they believe in.

For example in christianity. It is more important to love God and your neighbor and follow the ten commendments than believing in trinity or if you believe in purgatory

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

Help please?
I am a former Baha'i myself who now believes in reincarnation.

The best answer I can give you is that the Baha'i Faith's founder Baha'u'llah was from Iran and the dominant Muslim culture held strong sway over that country. Islam does not teach the doctrine of reincarnation. In my years of study I've seen no indications that Baha'u'llah had any familiarity with the Hindu/Buddhist religious traditions. Baha'u'llah did not really address the issue of reincarnation.

Abdu'l-Bahá the official interpreter of Baha'u'llah did address the question and said the reincarnation doctrine is not true and hence it is not part of the Baha'i teachings.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Good point..
I'm just like Baha'i teachings very much.. so frustrating when when I do not agree with everything.

There isn't really any reason you can't hold Baha'i beliefs, and even live them out, without formally adopting the religion if there are major belief differences.

I would recommend continuing to search, spiritually. I get wanting to belong to an organized religion. Being on your own has value, but it isn't for everyone. There are so many different faiths out there... perhaps you could do a little exploration. You may not find one that resonates with you right away, but it will be interesting nonetheless. Have you heard of Theosophy? Asatru? Druidry? Culdee Christianity? Vodoun?

You seem pretty knowledgeable about varying religious beliefs. Its good to explore, but don't just jump in to jump in. You can't easily ignore a major belief you have; it will just keep resurfacing. Take your time, and enjoy the path.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
There isn't really any reason you can't hold Baha'i beliefs, and even live them out, without formally adopting the religion if there are major belief differences.

I would recommend continuing to search, spiritually. I get wanting to belong to an organized religion. Being on your own has value, but it isn't for everyone. There are so many different faiths out there... perhaps you could do a little exploration. You may not find one that resonates with you right away, but it will be interesting nonetheless. Have you heard of Theosophy? Asatru? Druidry? Culdee Christianity? Vodoun?

You seem pretty knowledgeable about varying religious beliefs. Its good to explore, but don't just jump in to jump in. You can't easily ignore a major belief you have; it will just keep resurfacing. Take your time, and enjoy the path.

Unfortunately, Vodoun is an initiation based religion. You need a god parent and, if in the states, its highly expensive in rituals even if you find one or they find you.