• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conservatives get duped by fake news

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
Seems to me the conservatives cannot discern fake news when they see it.

Right-wingers got duped by phony Facebook post in which grieving widow attacked Rep. Wilson

A widely-shared Facebook post purporting to be from Myeshia Johnson — widow of fallen Green Beret Sgt. La David Johnson — is a fake, according to Snopes.com.

Conservative groups and Trump supporters spread the fake post because it led readers to believe that Mrs. Johnson was attacking Rep. Frederica Wilson (D-FL), a longtime friend of the Johnson family who has been demonized by the right since she stood up to Trump last week.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/10/ri...-in-which-grieving-widow-attacked-rep-wilson/

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Whew! Good thing I don't frequent FacePalm, err... FaceSnook, er.... Favebrook... OK, whatever.
None of my right wind :) sites were talkin' about it. I feel so left out. :(:mad::confused:o_O

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I think cake news is maybe bi partisan!!! Everyone loves their cake and eat it too!
You can have my cake, as I do not like cake. Now, if you are talking a rhubarb and strawberry pie....

I was one of those weirdo's who begged mom to make me a pie on my birthday. She never disappointed.

David T

Premium Member
You can have my cake, as I do not like cake. Now, if you are talking a rhubarb and strawberry pie....

I was one of those weirdo's who begged mom to make me a pie on my birthday. She never disappointed.

Totally with you on rhubarb Pie. So conservatives fell for rhubarb news which apparently only liberals fell for before and I say more rubarb, not less and pies more of em not less. We can have rubarb news rubarb pies to eat while read our rubarb pies and start a rubarb by throwing liberal rubarb pies at conservatives as conservatives throw conservative rubarb pies at liberals. "our rubarb is better than your rubarb, our rubarb is better than yours, ours is better cuz we don't use margarine our rubarb is better than yours!!!! Sung to an old advertising jingle very catchy!!!

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Totally with you on rhubarb Pie. So conservatives fell for rhubarb news which apparently only liberals fell for before and I say more rubarb, not less and pies more of em not less. We can have rubarb news rubarb pies to eat while read our rubarb pies and start a rubarb by throwing liberal rubarb pies at conservatives as conservatives throw conservative rubarb pies at liberals. "our rubarb is better than your rubarb, our rubarb is better than yours, ours is better cuz we don't use margarine our rubarb is better than yours!!!! Sung to an old advertising jingle very catchy!!!
Making gross generalizations is, generally speaking, is not a sign of deep insight.

Wirey

Fartist
Whew! Good thing I don't frequent FacePalm, err... FaceSnook, er.... Favebrook... OK, whatever.
None of my right wind :) sites were talkin' about it. I feel so left out. :(:mad::confused:o_O

I had a FaceBook account for three weeks. A coworker asked me why I hadn't replied to a question, and I said "You know you're talking to me right now, right?" I closed the account that day.

David T

Premium Member
Making gross generalizations is, generally speaking, is not a sign of deep insight.
Awesome. Finally a serious discussion here!!! I am a neo Monty pythonist so I absolutely will now agree with you the man is crazy. I have no clue what the hell he is talking about I think it's Satan, or at least indigestion, and quantum physics proves there is an alternate universe.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Seems to me the conservatives cannot discern fake news when they see it.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/10/ri...-in-which-grieving-widow-attacked-rep-wilson/

I think I had Facebook for a few weeks, and then I cancelled it. I didn't like it.

It's getting to the point where you just can't trust any "news" these days. As a general rule, I check out multiple sources for any stories of interest.

I realize that different sources might put their own different perspective or slant on events, but to simply make up events out of the blue and pass them off as "news" is just plain loony. It reminds me of the character of Comrade Ogilvy in 1984 - someone totally contrived.

As for the story itself, I don't doubt that Trump probably put his foot in his mouth (which isn't that surprising), but the fact that this is blown up as some kind of major news event is what I find truly astonishing.

Wirey

Fartist
The echo chamber effect, ie, that which reinforces entrenched attitudes is news.
Tomorrow, I'll post the astounding news Nixon is a crook.

I think it's more of a "They scream fake news but immediately spread fake news! What a bunch of cretins!" thing. You have to admit, a little fact checking goes a long way.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think it's more of a "They scream fake news but immediately spread fake news! What a bunch of cretins!" thing. You have to admit, a little fact checking goes a long way.
Fake news abounds from both sides of that aisle.
It's long been so, & it will always be.

What irks me is that "fake news" was once a perfectly useful & well
defined phrase. But now it's just an insult to impugn any disliked news.
(And I meself used that new definition above.)
I'm triggered!