• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conservatives call on Catholic bishops to denounce Pope Francis as heretic

danieldemol

Premium Member
‘A group of 19 Catholic priests and academics have urged bishops to denounce Pope Francis as a heretic, in the latest ultra-conservative broadside against the pontiff over a range of topics from communion for the divorced to religious diversity.’

‘The letter [by the priests] attacks Francis for allegedly softening the Church’s stance on a range of subjects. They say he has not been outspoken enough against abortion and has been too welcoming to homosexuals and too accommodating to Protestants and Muslims.’

Personally I say shame on the conservatives, better to be denounced by them as a heretic than to betray values for the sake of their praise.

Read more here: Conservatives call on Catholic bishops to denounce Pope Francis as heretic

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
‘A group of 19 Catholic priests and academics have urged bishops to denounce Pope Francis as a heretic, in the latest ultra-conservative broadside against the pontiff over a range of topics from communion for the divorced to religious diversity.’

‘The letter [by the priests] attacks Francis for allegedly softening the Church’s stance on a range of subjects. They say he has not been outspoken enough against abortion and has been too welcoming to homosexuals and too accommodating to Protestants and Muslims.’

Personally I say shame on the conservatives, better to be denounced by them as a heretic than to betray values for the sake of their praise.

Read more here: Conservatives call on Catholic bishops to denounce Pope Francis as heretic
It makes me wonder if the majority of Catholics are conservative or liberal?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
So they believe their church speaks for God...up until it starts saying thing they don't like. Whose to say that they're not the heretics? I mean it's all a crock of **** regardless, but it's kind if funny how they expect "god" to confirm to their political views rather than the other way around.

exchemist

Veteran Member
The linked article provides an answer, saying the vast majority of Catholics welcome Francis's softening of the previously authoritarian line.

This is the reaction of some old traditionalists but the church is not preserved in aspic, even if it moves slowly. If Francis were not stimulating this sort of response, he would not be achieving anything.

The reality is that the scandals of child sexual abuse have destroyed the authority of the church on sexual morality. It is in fact another Martin Luther moment in some ways. Luther was appalled by the corruption he witnessed in Rome. So the Reformation was the church's fault, really, not his: they had it coming. And in fact the Reformation did cause the church subsequently to get its act together.

A lot of the clergy, from Francis down, now realise they need to approach their flock with a degree of humility and try to lead by example instead of diktat. I was struck by a remark in a Christmas sermon I heard some years ago at the Jesuit church in Mount St in London, at a time when a number of supposed sex scandals (later found to be unsubstantiated) were being investigated by the police. The priest thanked the congregation for being there and said something like "I often think we priests do not thank you, the faithful, nearly enough for your support." That is the attitude we need to see, not this hysterical and legalistic denunciation of the pope as a heretic.

Last edited:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Those 19 should move on and join one of the many breakaway "REAL" catholic churches. They have clearly moved into the realm of dissenters from the Catholic Church led by Pope Francis.
They would probably blow a fuse if the church started ordaining women priests and Bishops, as the Anglicans have done.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...

Conservative Catholics revere the Pope. I don't know what these clowns are, but it ain't Conservative Catholic.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I think it will eventually be majority conservative as the liberals continue to leave in disgust over all the various scandals or otherwise fall away.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
I think it will eventually be majority conservative as the liberals continue to leave in disgust over all the various scandals or otherwise fall away.
Quite a few of us Conservatives are disgusted by the scandals, too. It is a fact that the Church, ultimately, will either have to change with the times or accept significant reduction in size and relevance. But to true believers, losing size and relevance is preferable to going against your true beliefs. Where people get upset is when they expect everything to stay the same, AND to keep their privileged position. Over time, you can't have both.

All of that said, by no meaningful definition is Francis heretical.

Shiranui117

Premium Member
So they believe their church speaks for God...up until it starts saying thing they don't like. Whose to say that they're not the heretics? I mean it's all a crock of **** regardless, but it's kind if funny how they expect "god" to confirm to their political views rather than the other way around.
And the funniest thing, Pope Francis is absolutely in the right about communing divorced Catholics! In the Council of Laodicea, which was also ratified by the Council of Trullo and Pope Leo IV, we see this in canon 1:

IT is right, according to the ecclesiastical Canon, that the Communion should by indulgence be given to those who have freely and lawfully joined in second marriages, not having previously made a secret marriage; after a short space, which is to be spent by them in prayer and fasting.

So, really, Pope Francis is just getting back to what the early Councils of the Church have said on this and is ditching more of the medieval BS that the Roman Church piled up on itself. And the traditionalist Catholics who don't know their early church history are losing it.

Those 19 should move on and join one of the many breakaway "REAL" catholic churches. They have clearly moved into the realm of dissenters from the Catholic Church led by Pope Francis.
They would probably blow a fuse if the church started ordaining women priests and Bishops, as the Anglicans have done.
If the Church started doing that, get ready for another mass exodus. And you think the droves leaving because of the sex abuse scandals were bad...

Shiranui117

Premium Member
Quite a few of us Conservatives are disgusted by the scandals, too. It is a fact that the Church, ultimately, will either have to change with the times or accept significant reduction in size and relevance. But to true believers, losing size and relevance is preferable to going against your true beliefs. Where people get upset is when they expect everything to stay the same, AND to keep their privileged position. Over time, you can't have both.

All of that said, by no meaningful definition is Francis heretical.
And the best part is? Francis is right about communing divorced Catholics. He's just getting back to the canons of the Early Church. The so-called "traditionalists" who so vehemently object to communing divorced Catholics are the novelists here.

anna.

but mostly it's the same

The majority of Catholics are cultural Catholics. It's likely they don't know the name of their local bishop, let alone what the pope is saying on any given subject.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
And the funniest thing, Pope Francis is absolutely in the right about communing divorced Catholics! In the Council of Laodicea, which was also ratified by the Council of Trullo and Pope Leo IV, we see this in canon 1:

IT is right, according to the ecclesiastical Canon, that the Communion should by indulgence be given to those who have freely and lawfully joined in second marriages, not having previously made a secret marriage; after a short space, which is to be spent by them in prayer and fasting.

So, really, Pope Francis is just getting back to what the early Councils of the Church have said on this and is ditching more of the medieval BS that the Roman Church piled up on itself. And the traditionalist Catholics who don't know their early church history are losing it.

If the Church started doing that, get ready for another mass exodus. And you think the droves leaving because of the sex abuse scandals were bad...

The Anglicans gained more than they lost. Though those they lost made a lot more noise than their numbers might suggest.
And what we have gained is many excellent priests. And those priests that we lost were mostly dead weight, and it seems no happier with their lot in the catholic church, where many catholic bishops have sidelined them.
Both our Arch Deacon and Team Rector (responsible for six local churches and priests) are female priests.

FragrantGrace

If winning isn't everything why do they keep score

There's a clause in canon 1 that would make that communion not altruistic in the least.
"by indulgence".
Indulgences